Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by psuperman112 View Post
    Wow I thought that would be a standard feature on all phones by now. I actually started using the lock on the 700w after an unintended phone call (from the 700w in my pocket) actually led to the end of a 5 year relationship. I would def like to see some sort of auto-lock, but I might try the phone anyways and use the slide app you mentioned
    S2U2 works great for what you want...I haven't had an unintentional call since I first installed it over a year ago (or was it 2?)!!!! It also has a great full-screen caller ID (great on the big-fingered crowd)!!!

You can get it here (you may also want to get S2V to assign contact pics so they show clearly)!!!:

http://www.ac-s2.com/

I finally traded in my old 700wx for a SAGA yesterday. My initial impression of the phone is good. The device has a good feel, good sound quality, a good keyboard (much better than expected, on par with the 700wx, and best of all, the on screen mouse. I think that this feature will quickly become standard on most WM devices. The SAGA is thin enough to be comfortable in pocket, while the 700wx is not.

I do miss allot of the palm tweeks. If anyone can figure out how to get the device to lock the screen when in a call, I would appreciate a heads up on it. Also, if anyone can figure out how to get it to recognize sound files in the ringtones folder, that would also be helpful. Overall, I like the new phone.
    how does it compare to the blackberry? I went from a 700w to a Curve while waiting for the 800w which looks like will never happen. I'm very interested in this device.
    I have never used a curve, but I would compare it very favorably to a 800w, as well as the 700wx. If I could just figure out a way to disable the touchscreen while in a call, it would be close to perfect.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    As a recent owner of Saga, I can tell you that I feel hmmm...liberated is the closest word I can find, from my old 700w (not wx). While I do miss the Palm tweaks, there are many nice utilities out there that make it an easier transition (although I still haven't found one for Ignore call with text, since I didn't go with Spb but with SBSH...). In the absence of 800w, this is great. And the keyboard is surprisingly good, better than any BB I have tried (in the store, for a short period of time). Plus - it's a wolrd phone. The suckiest part is the locked GPS. Battery life is not stellar, but seemingly a bit better than 800w (although I have never personally tried that; going off the reports); plus I just got my extended battery via FedEx...
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    anything new on this thing? Im really on the fence
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    If it looks like a treo, acts like a treo, and isn't made by Palm...dont' get it, save yourself the hassle and buy something better. Verizon is notorious for nerfing WinMob phones in favor of their blackberry line up. The Saga is no different and that giant quarter sized capactive mouse pad in the middle doesn't do wonders for the form factor and is kinda insulting when they still wont' put in a capactive touch screen.
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sp33d_Dialz View Post
    If it looks like a treo, acts like a treo, and isn't made by Palm...dont' get it, save yourself the hassle and buy something better. Verizon is notorious for nerfing WinMob phones in favor of their blackberry line up. The Saga is no different and that giant quarter sized capactive mouse pad in the middle doesn't do wonders for the form factor and is kinda insulting when they still wont' put in a capactive touch screen.
    Oh yea that was helpful
    Anyone else?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    Oh yea that was helpful
    Anyone else?
    LOL - I was thinking the same thing. Hey speeddials, you have anything constructive to add or do you just want to rant on Verizon and Samsung?
    OK...I have been holding off because the question was directed at the Saga specifically, but I figure after the last few posts....what the heck!!!

I was a die-hard Treo user, and loved the physical keyboard, so when the Saga started being advertized I watched very closely. Then something funny happened....the Omnia started being rumored and talked about.

With no physical keyboard and a seperate hokey 'eye-liner' stylus, I was NOT enthused!!!! Then I started playing around with it, and I got hooked!!! It is very stable, 8GB onboard memory is a dream, very sturdy physically, I use SPB Shell with a custom skin, and it is very snappy + customizable. I can actually typr on it with my fingers also....I never thought I would say it, but I don't need a stylus or keyboard. I only have to reset when I tweak things, it doesn't freeze on me. I keep the stylus on my keychain, but I haven't even touched it in over a month. The 5GB camera is cool as well, and most apps are compatible without any tweaking (actually all I want are)!!

I'm not saying it is the PERFECT device, the camera quality isn't fantastic, and the GPS is locked, but those are rumored to be helped in the upcomming update.

P.S. After leaving the 700wx, I am still in awe of all the screen-space I have on the Omnia LOL!!!!!

As I stated in the beginning, it isn't the Saga, but I thought I would toss another alternative out there!!

I am open to any questions you may have!!

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    i just had such a hard time with virtual keyboards. guess i got fat finges
    So did I, that is why I never thought I would use a non-keyboard device, but the Omnia's is pretty good. I am using RESCO keyboard now and it is spaced far enough for me to use with pretty good accuracy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    LOL - I was thinking the same thing. Hey speeddials, you have anything constructive to add or do you just want to rant on Verizon and Samsung?
    Samsung struck a goldmine with the blackjack and its successor and I owned both for a contract before my great exodus to sprint. My problem is with their design of the Saga and its no real stretch of imagination that verizon favors blackberry to WinMob...if you really need proof, look at what they did to the Touch Pro. The Saga could have easily taken the mouse area of the EPIX or omnia without loosing much accessability or change in the form factor. My problem is the quarter sized touch pad which probably won't see much use when compared to a stylus. If you favor Samsung's new interpretation of a d-pad, then more power to you, but with my experience in smartphones, Palm makes a much better front facing qwerty/touch screen with very few exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    Oh yea that was helpful
    Anyone else?
    If your truely on the fence between the Saga and any other of the bevy of WinMob devices out there, take it out for your 30 days and post some pictures or a review based on comparissons. If you want something of substance from samsung, i personally say buy a blackjack II. It might require a carrier exodus, but if you can handle the occasional migrain that's the death star carrier you'll probably enjoy it more. Standard has never given me the problems that Professional does, and if you can sacrifice the touch screen you'll have a much more durable device
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Im stuck at verizon and im so used to the touch screen I dont think I would do well without it.
    maybe I just need to road test it.
    Im still pissed that they dont carry them in stores to play with first.
    I agree Pump142....That is a silly way of doing things on their part. I can understand a pre-release on phone + internet, and I can understand that some devices like the Storm + Omnia are so popular they are hard to find still, but your right...a LOT of VZW stores don't even stock devices like the Saga, Touch Pro (or whatever they want to call it now)......

It just seems at times there is no PPC/smartphone love in those stores!!!

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Well I ordered 1 and am gonna give it a test month
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I'd love some feedback on this puppy too. My 680's dying and I'm thinking it might be time to move to Verizon to either the Saga or the Storm.

The big negative I've heard about the Saga is mediocre call quality. Anyone seeing that?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    well 5 days in Id say its a keeper.

its pretty much everything I was hoping my treo would be and then some.
    Apps just work.
    It isnt underpowered.
    The mouse thing..way easy to get used to.
    In fact today I picked up my treo to get some settings off of it and found myself rubbing the dpad to get the field to change.

My battery with moderate usage lasted all day with 68% left.
    I have been tweaking this thing to do my stuff and so far have not been let down once.

just dont use the hidelogo (reset loop) and qucikmenu didnt work as expected, but turns out I dont need it anyhow.
    Pros: Touch pad is awesome! Very easy to move cursor around the screen and select links. Makes web browsing so much easier. Opera Browser is awesome and surprisingly works well even for full sized web pages. Great to have the choice of touch screen or pad.

Cons: Battery life doesn't last very long. If your on the web for a while it will drain the battery quick. Could not make it through a full work day with moderate use. Get the Extended battery! Samsung uses Proprietary cable instead of mini USB.

Summary: I went to the Verizon store and played with both the Blackberry Storm and the Samsung Omnia for at least 30 minutes each. I found that typing on a touch screen is just not up to par with a real keyboard. I had to type really slow to be accurate and had to always look down. This phone is the best of both worlds as it has an excellent QWERTY keypad and touch screen!

I personally like the phones "Samsung Today" config for the Today screen as opposed to the phones default today screen. The Samsung Today displays buttons large enough to use the touch screen with ease. It's also colorful and looks nice.

I also would recommend anyone to try the SPB software on any Windows Mobile Phone as it really can improve the functionality of your phone if you like and can config SPB to your liking. I personally am quite happy with the Samsung Today screen and don't need SPB, but I have it anyway and use some of it's screens sometimes.

The track pad is really an amazing innovation. It is larger and more functional than the similar pad on the Samsung Omnia. I use it all the time, even though I can touch the screen, I often just use the pad cause it's so easy. It makes making selecting links in the browser an easy task rather than trying to use your fat finger to click on a link. With my Motorola Q, I often felt as somethings just weren't very accessible due to difficulty in clicking or selecting what you want. This touch pad made copy/paste and clicking on very small things very easy! Sorry to rant but it's just that good. I did set the sensitivity to the highest of 3 levels and it just works great!!!

The OK/Cancel button is a welcome edition and I guess is common on WinMob 6.1
    I reassigned my left Soft Key to open up the Task Manager so I can quickly kill applications when necessary.

If you read the manual you will find there are some cool customization options that will really help you get the most out of the phone precisely on how YOU use it.

The rear battery compartment goes on very snug and is hard to take off. That's great cause I don't think this phone will go flying in pieces if you dropped it. The battery compartment will hold and your battery will remain.

Dedicated Volume controls and you can press and hold the space bar to set the phone to Vibrate.

Voice dialing works great and I have my phone set to do audible alerts via speakerphone. So when my battery is dying for example, a womans voice will speak the alert " Low Battery Level". Pretty impressive.

Great thing about Windows Mobile is that you can really customize everything. You can customize what programs show on your Start button list, what today screen you have, what happens when you do quick presses on the Lock button an Camera button - (I use these to quickly pull up task manager & today screen), you can customize certain keys and there is a Fn customization menu. Basically you program keys to do just about anything, think windows shortcuts...but you have to press and hond Fn and the shortcut menu pops up.

So if you take the time to set it up, this phone can really work like you want it to. Even if you don't it's still excellent and very functional.

Speakerphone quality gets garbled at higher volumes, but is fairly loud. Ringer is fairly loud as well. Very easy to change ringers as well, just drop a proper file in the My Ringtones folder and you can select it as your ringer.

Verizon's $29.99 a month plan is great. I have outlook setup on the phone to retrieve my work email and gmail once every 5 minutes. PUSH is great and all but not worth the extra $15 a month for the more expensive Data plan. I'm just fine with my phone checking the internet once every 5 minutes. This of course may be partly why my battery doesn't make it an entire work day. I bought the extended to take care of that. Haven't received it yet but I'm hoping it will give me enough extra juice to make it an entire day with moderate use.

The phone goes into "sleep" mode after a few seconds of not using the screen. I have it set so I have to press the power button on the top once to wake it up. This essentially locks the phone unless you press the power button on the top. There is also an actual dedicated lock button on the side. You hold it for a few seconds to lock the phone. I found it's not necessary to use the lock, I just use the power button on the top.

Another cool thing, in State of CA it's illegal to not use hands free while driving. Problem is sometimes I just gotta answer the phone if my bluetooth is not hooked up. This phone allows me to answer, then press the power button so the screen goes blank. Allows for driving at night without bright cell phone to your face.

Great phone all in all. I've used it for a week now and love it.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast