Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    it doesn't appear to have a touchscreen....at least i can't see it anywhere. It has a stupid "optical wheel". That's one huge reason I don't like BB. I don't want to use some cheap ball to navagate. I'd rather have touch screen.

Between that and the fact that verizon's cheapest data package starts at 80$ is a huge reason why I stay with my sprint. 80$ a month for a phone is ridiculous.
    The Saga (or i770) is definitly touch-screen, and the optical mouse is like a touch-pad on a laptop, you can have a visible mouse or highlighting like currently shown, and pressing on the pad selects where you are.

Plus...like haus said, there is no $80 data plan, they actually just lowered it to $20 or 25 (can't remember) and that is additional to any voice plan (mandatory for all new PDA phones now though....just like Crackberry!!!

You can always get the $99 (or maybe they raised it to 150, I'm not sure now) everything package though...seems like the best package if your not on a family plan with more than a couple people!!

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    After 3 years with the 700 on VZW (one year with the "w" and 2 with the "wx") I took delivery of the Saga today. I admit, I did run to a VZW store to try the Storm (HATED IT!), but this was waiting on the porch when I got home. With New-Every-Two and rebate, I'm only set back $99. And after just a few hours I have to say I'm impressed. This thing is very quick. It feels very nice in the hand. Yes, it's blue, but it's much darker than on Verizon's website. The optical mouse is actually pretty nice. I'm in for a fun weekend and 30 days of figuring out if I'm keeping it or not.

And BTW, this is my first Rev A phone. 3 tests in decent EVDO area showed well over 1000k down (haven't had a chance to test up yet).
    Yes, that is my boat.
    I'm just curious to see what it looks like. Can someone post photos of it? I'm on at the hospital, due to my mom's surgery, and I have no access to a PC, so I'm using 800w. Verizon's website won't show the pic. I think it requires Java or flash and I can't find any other photo on the net.
    I just upgraded to the Saga from my 700W as well. Couldn't wait any longer for a Treo on Verizon. For that matter, I couldn't wait any longer for ANY Windows Mobile with a touch screen (which I need for work).

I'm still getting used to this phone, but so far so good. It's as big as long as the 700W (including the antenna), but is half the depth. It's sharp edges don't fit in your hand as nice as the Treo.

I'm still getting used to the touch pad, although I love the mouse mode. This was something that I missed when I had to RDP into a server. I like the keyboard better than the treo except for a couple of small details.

It's not as blue as the pictures - if you're familiar with Harley's it's like their denim blue.

Performance has been good - although I'm not running any extra apps at this point.

I guess you need to sign up for Verizons GPS service for $10 a month - it is not unlocked that I can tell.

There are not ANY accessories for it. I can't even find a holster at this point! And I miss the knowledge that comes from a website like Treo Central.
    OK...has anybody checked out tomorow's release (on VZW anyway) of the Omnia yet?

One word.....WOW!!!!! Except for the no physical keyboard thing and it's stylus.....WOW!!!!

http://news.vzw.com/news/2008/11/pr2008-11-25a.html

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    OK...has anybody checked out tomorow's release (on VZW anyway) of the Omnia yet?

One word.....WOW!!!!! Except for the no physical keyboard thing and it's stylus.....WOW!!!!

http://news.vzw.com/news/2008/11/pr2008-11-25a.html
    I've been reading about it today and I'm very interested. I just have to see how I can handle an on-screen keyboard. It has word/excel, GPS, WiFi, 5mp camera with video, opera mobile, and I can sync my outlook notes. I've never used a Windows Mobile device before, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I don't know if the GPS is locked or unlocked. I know it's unlocked on the Storm, so I can hope. Plus I keep reading there are hacks to get around Verizon's locked GPS on WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I've been reading about it today and I'm very interested. I just have to see how I can handle an on-screen keyboard. It has word/excel, GPS, WiFi, 5mp camera with video, opera mobile, and I can sync my outlook notes. I've never used a Windows Mobile device before, so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. I don't know if the GPS is locked or unlocked. I know it's unlocked on the Storm, so I can hope. Plus I keep reading there are hacks to get around Verizon's locked GPS on WM.
    I am not sure where you read it is not locked on the Storm (please post a URL if it is online....I would love to read it), but according to the store reps, it is locked and will be on all their GPS devices (yes....VZW sucks like that). So I am 100% sure it will be locked on the Omnia as well. I am so close to calling and ordering this I may have it ordered in a few hours!!! I figure the worst-case scenario is that I can't handle the no keyboard thing and I go back to the store...by that time the Touch Pro and Saga will be in the stores and I can play with each and make a choice!!!!!

So....I may do it!!!!

I am not sure where you read it is not locked on the Storm (please post a URL if it is online....I would love to read it), but according to the store reps, it is locked and will be on all their GPS devices (yes....VZW sucks like that). So I am 100% sure it will be locked on the Omnia as well. I am so close to calling and ordering this I may have it ordered in a few hours!!! I figure the worst-case scenario is that I can't handle the no keyboard thing and I go back to the store...by that time the Touch Pro and Saga will be in the stores and I can play with each and make a choice!!!!!

So....I may do it!!!!
    Just go read on crackberry. People are using the Storm with blackberry maps and google maps. They are actually deleting VZnavigator for better performance.
    I ordered the Omnia 15 minutes ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Just go read on crackberry. People are using the Storm with blackberry maps and google maps. They are actually deleting VZnavigator for better performance.
    I ordered the Omnia 15 minutes ago.
    Cool....I still doubt the Omnia will be unlocked, but your right....there is hope!!! Thanks man!!

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I found the treo killer- at least the verizon treo killer.

The Saga is basically everything the 800w is but has an optical mouse and combo cdma/gsm radio on top of it all so it's a worldphone.

it's 99 bucks if you are elgible.

dont know if it really has any secret sauce from samsung or if microsoft finally kicked it up a notch with wm 6.1 but the whole experence is better then wm6 on the HTC Mogul (xv6800) that I tried for ~ 6 months earlier in the year. It just acts like you expect it to like a palm.

it's missing a few plam os basics (still no darn keyguard)- but WM just has soo many more possibilities then Palm OS at this point that you can get whatever you need to fix it. (slide2unlock is a great keygaurd for example).

I had a sprint 600, sprint 650, verizon 650, verizon 700p, then gave up on palm and tried a verizon mogul- couldn't hack it so got a verizon centro. Now I have this. I'm officailly done with palm OS. Maybe palm the company can lure me back with their nex gen os, but i doubt it. Sad to leave palm after so many years but in the end they just didn't deliver (or have the clout to get verizon to deliver).

sorry to have to ditch palm but loving the saga.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts

The internal memory in the Saga is 256 MB RAM / 128 MB ROM
    800w is 128 MB RAM / 256 MB ROM
    take that as you will, depending on importance.
    Myself- I beleive that is a typo on vz's part and they are both 128ram and 256 rom.

free memory is just too low to be 256.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    .... It has a stupid "optical wheel". That's one huge reason I don't like BB. I don't want to use some cheap ball to navagate. ....

it's not an "optical wheel"- its an "optical mouse".

goofing aside-

real world it's essentially the optical mouse from a pc flipped upside down and the ir window is put in the hole were the dpad would go. As you slide your finger accross it tracks your finger- you can also click it down for select and when you press it down and slide your finger you get drag and drop.

Dont knock it till you really try it for a while. It ROCKS. It's the sort of small innnovention that palm would have doen 5-10 years ago that is amazing. I wouldn't doubt if it doesn't become the standard over time on phones and maybe even fancier remote controls- having a pointer beats the pants off of using a ouji board to enter text on your dvr.

Anyway it completely negates the need for a stylus. you get a mouse pointer on the screen and can control it to the pixel with the 'optical mouse'. Adjust it to move fast and you can touch any spot on the screen with the pointer without re-positioning your finger. Drag and drop is very ergonomic. There's about 2 remaining needs for the stylus- 1) the inevitable need to hit the reset pin because it's a windows os and 2) playing solitare- it's tough to drag the very last column full of cards over to the far opposite end. That's it- no need for the stylus EVER besides that. So since you never need the stylus it's more onehanded then any palm os treo I've ever owned.

For newer programs you can use it for thumb scrolling without repositioning your hand to move your thumb on the screen.

it just plain rocks.

in a strange twist there's a few programs that are newer that made themselves 5-way friendly instead of stylus ready so they aren't the best with the mouse. But you smack the left side button and it goes to 5 way navigation mode which mimics a hard button

and of course as everyone has said - it still has a touch screen for when you would rather that. But i rarely use the touchscreen for "normal" us- my hand's already on the keyboard anyway with my thumb on the mouse pad- so it's just as quick in many instances to move the pointer and click then to reposition my hand to tap the screen.
    Last edited by efudd; 11/30/2008 at 06:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    last thing- VZ does suck with this locking of the GPS nonsense. Someone over at xda developers figured out the 'scrambling' that vz uses on the data to make it worthless to other apps besides theirs. He made a small patch for the xv 6800 to fix it really simply. Unfortunately it doesn't work on the i770. But I hope that he'll share what he found with someone who can patch the i770....
    does this phone have true threaded text messaging (like the palm, not like the blackberry)? I know the 800w does and it runs window but I cant seem to find if this samsung does. I think if it does I will have to pick it up!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    yep it's threaded.

I *THINK* it's the same as on the 800w- but never having seen the 800w I'm not sure.
    There's palm entries in the registry so i think microsoft just licensed palms wm threaded messaging for wm6.1 for all. (but dont KNOW anything- just a guess).

it's similar to the threaded messaging on all the palm os devices. But not quite the same. THere's a free sms plug in called smileysms that adds a bunch of features like showing smileys and the like.

I love this phone
  16. SHV
    Hi,

Moved to Saga from almost 3 years on 700w. I don't miss the lockups of the Treo, but I soooooooo miss the UI enhancements!

Anyway:

- I don't want to install Slide2Unlock... anyone know of another good keyguard out there? I simply hate the way the keys engage every time I have a reminder pop up, or any other activity that leaves the keys clicking in my pocket and doing who knows what...
    - Got a microSD card I need to install, but I simply can't remove the battery cover without a crowbar. Any hints?

thanks!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    i tried many different lock cabs and just couldn't find anything besides s2unlock that would just turn on automatically.

I'd gladly pay 20 bucks for the equivilent of the palm os keygaurd on wm.

is it too much to lock the keys automatically.

Every cell phone known to man that isn't a flip has a keyguard- how the hec for all these YEARS has MS neglected to add it?
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    i tried many different lock cabs and just couldn't find anything besides s2unlock that would just turn on automatically.

I'd gladly pay 20 bucks for the equivilent of the palm os keygaurd on wm.

is it too much to lock the keys automatically.

Every cell phone known to man that isn't a flip has a keyguard- how the hec for all these YEARS has MS neglected to add it?
    I had a key lock on my 700w that activated after like a minute of non-use. Was this taken out on the new windows mobile?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    that was a palm added tweak- neither wm6 or wm6.1 comes with that.

There is no automatic keyguard built into windows mobile that i can figure.

non palm devices usually come with a home screen plug in that has an icon to turn on their lock. Some manufacturers map it to a hard button. But it wont ever just turn after x period of non use like palm does. Also wont even turn on if you turn off the screen like palm does.

slide2unlock can be set to lock after x of unuse, to lock if the screen is turnedoff, or to lock if you activate it. It's the only app i've found to do that.
    Wow I thought that would be a standard feature on all phones by now. I actually started using the lock on the 700w after an unintended phone call (from the 700w in my pocket) actually led to the end of a 5 year relationship. I would def like to see some sort of auto-lock, but I might try the phone anyways and use the slide app you mentioned
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast