Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Okay I'm looking for inspiration here!

I'm a long time PalmOS user who has dabbled with BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices in the past, looking for some pointers for a device that can do lots of things. I use my current Treo 680 for a combination of business / corporate email (Outlook Web Access), personal email (Gmail), PIM (usual stuff with DateBk 6) and writing.

I have fallen in love with the concept of using my devices with a portable keyboard but the Palm Wireless Bluetooth keyboard driver is in a word awful; it makes my 680 slow and unstable. I have removed the driver and... hey presto... the 680 zips along now. But my writing is a whole lot slower. Now I can just about live without the bigger keyboard except...

...we've just moved to Exchange 2007 at the office, which as it stands isn't compatible with Chatteremail+. This is a Chatteremail+ thing. It was a risk I took when buying the 680...

I have a need to replace the 680 even though I like PalmOS thanks to its simplicity and a raft of handy developers I've supported along the years. It bugs me to be replacing something when it's still in near-perfect condition too.

So what can I replace it with that can do everything I need but not the things I don't?

I am thinking the most prudent options could be to:

* accept that a smartphone isn't the best machine to write with and use the notebook for this, then buy a cheap and cheerful Windows Mobile device as it'll work.
    * sell my arm to a mobile provider for a long contract on a device that I may not like.
    * sell my arm and leg to buy an unlocked device that I may not like.
    * lump it with the 680 for another X months until Android develops, Nova comes along, or something else new, hoping it'll work for me.

Details...

Wifi - not essential. GPS - not essential. 3G and a good browser - yeah I want some of these. Keyboard? Handy but not essential. Battery life? Not too essential but nice to have. Exchange email is essential; push email is handy.

It needs to work with a a Windows XP Home notebook with Office and Outlook 2003. I don't like slide-out keyboards all that much as they're usually no easier to use than front-mounted, Treo-style keyboards but almost always require two hands.

I'm not a fan of ActiveSync. I don't dislike Windows Mobile, but ActiveSync has caused me duplicate records, lost Word files, has refused to connect or all three in the one evening. I need a hefty dose of persuasion to go down the Windows Mobile route although the hardware is gorgeous.

I used a vanilla BlackBerry Curve for six months. My opinion of this device is that it is a truly excellent corporate email workhorse but isn't so much fun afterwards. BlackBerry have since worked on their out-of-office software and the Storm looks superb in preview. It was nicely stable, but it was a bit fiddly to use the operating system. I also don't have any experience of word processors for the BlackBerry and the personal information management applications were unfriendly and basic.

SymbianOS doesn't seem to be discussed much here. The Nokia E71 looks a superb piece of kit - it out-Pros the Treo Pro in the size and battery life respects.

Android can't yet do the Exchange shuffle but Aardvark is coming. I've seen, used and been impressed with the G1.

I was holding out for PalmOS Nova, but the Exchange thing last week has kinda ruined that idea.
    IMO, There is no better portable writers device than a Windows Mobile Phone combined with a Celio Redfly.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Probably agreed - save for the ActiveSync worries and availability in the UK...

Good idea though!
    I skimmed the original post - too long for now.

1) I have a Treo 755p with Chattermail connecting to Exchange 2007 using IMAP. It works. I have not gotten SSL to work yet, but everything else is perfect. The only thing I lost from Exchange 2003 was that now, when I get a meeting invite, chatter displays an e-mail that the message can't be displayed (but I now know what that means). However, it is not like I was able to accept meeting invites anyway before on a POS device.

2) I have tested the 800w for two weeks and the celio over the weekend. I was going to write a very long review of my experiences and why I am returning both of them and sticking with the 755p. In a nutshell, I use my Treo for e-mail 80% of the time, a phone 10% and other PIM functions 10%. Pocket Outlook cannot compare with Chatter. Also, the extended same-size battery is larger on the 755p than 800w (Seidio 2200 vs. 1350). Keyboard, screen and soft-touch paint are equal.

As others have mentioned, POS requires some third party apps that are built-in to windows (takephone, textplus, etc) but the reverse is true too (one-button launching apps, etc.). I find the programs available on POS to still be superior to what is available on WM (Takephone, 2day, 4cast, datebk, chatter, TryDA, etc.).

WM excels at multitasking, REV-A speeds and GPS. Wifi not that important to me. Celio is good but not a deciding factor.

On a personal note, my wife uses a centro and we can interchange chargers. I also didn't want to invest $200+ in software and accessories (plus $200 for the device and $200 for a celio) when it isn't really better for me- just different.

I am sticking with my 755p and Chatter and will wait to see what Nova looks like. Good luck to you.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    We're in a similar position: Charlie loves her Centro and I like my 680.

As for IMAP Exchange 2007 access, unfortunately the server isn't set up for this. Most people in the organisation use BlackBerry devices via our BlackBerry Enterprise Server infrastructure. BES is nice and all, but... not so much fun outside work.

I will explore if the ICT manager will enable IMAP access though...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Well I decided. I went for the Nokia E71.

Now I have not traditionally liked Nokias, but this device... well... it out-Treos the Pro in the looks department, it has the same wireless featureset as the Pro and Bold, it runs a mature version of SymbianOS, which is multitasking and fast and... it has a Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard driver built into the operating system...

...which works with my existing Palm Wireless Keyboard.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Treo and will be keeping it until I come up with a solution for the only application without a direct port, TealAuto, but from now on the Nokia E71 is going to be my primary device.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The Nokia E71 is indeed a great phone with its ergonomic and user friendly SymbianOS and as DervMan points out it does really help in multitasking.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    It feels like a brave move! I am enjoying the Nokia but I'm the first to admit that it isn't quite the same...
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Give it some time and you'll get used to it.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Yeah. Like everything I suppose. I've always liked SymbianOS for the roots (EPOC32) and have used a UIQ device in the past.

The E71 does some things really well. The screen looks very good for a 320 by 240. The radios are decent. Call quality is excellent. Battery life should be strong with a 1,500 mAh battery. The software suite is mostly superb although the standard email application isn't wonderful compared with say Chatteremail+ but the Exchange access is superb.

And some aspects are not so good. The keyboard could be used more, for example when looking up applications or list entries when it should be able to jump to an entry by pressing a letter on the keyboard. The web browser is a mix of mobile and desktop and doesn't have the same ability to reformat websites.

But I am happy enough with the device. I'd like StyleTap on the E71 as I am already missing TealAuto though...