Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have a blackberry curve for work and it's a good phone. Email, Bluetooth, battery all are great. There is no software like for a treo and the browser in my opinion sucks. That's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    I have a blackberry curve for work and it's a good phone.
    Blackberry Curve or Bold has front keyboard. Just like Treo Pro. Can compare these "apples".

But Blackberry Storm has screen keyboard only. Hard to compare this "orange" with above "apples". ;-)

When I moved from Treo600 (with front keyboard) to XdaIIs/838pro/TyTNII (with front screen keyboard & slideout keyboard), I thought the slide out keyboard would overcome the drawback of screen keyboard. However, I found I used the ever ready front screen keyboard more than the slideout, whilst wanting the tactile feedback of the slideout keyboard. Hence my move back to TreoPro.

Since the thread starter *is* comparing TreoPro (front keyboard) against Storm (screen keyboard), I wondered whether he really uses the keyboard as much as I do. If he does use the keyboard much, I don't expect he'll last long on the Storm, since it don't even have a secondary slideout keyboard to save you from the lack of tactile feedback of the front screen keyboard.
    Last edited by sabre23t; 11/03/2008 at 11:32 PM.
    regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Not sure why the memory's an issue; the Storm only has 1Gb and the Pro already comes with that on its microSD (though I soon swapped that for an 8Gb).
    Hang on - it's MY memory that's at fault here ;-)

It was the BB Bold that came with a 1Gb MicroSD, not the Pro, I had to put it back in when I returned the Bold.

But that did make me wonder about BB's spec saying '1Gb memory' - do they mean supplied on a card, not onboard? I wasn't too sure.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The newer BB's have 1gb of integrated internal memory (that you can use for multimedia stuff or protected/securetd work related files that aren't appropriate for a removable flash card) in addition to the microSD slot.

So in theory you could have Xgb on a card + 1gb internally on a BB=~X=1gb total vs. just Xgb on a device like the Treo Pro that relies primarily on storing everything on an external card (X being your microSD card's capacity).

If I DO jump ship from a Garnet-based Treo, it'll be to the Storm. The Storm is seemingly far from perfect but it has a number of things going for it:

1. Not WinMob
    2. Not Apple
    3. Screen resolution greater than 320x320
    4. 3.5mm stereo headphone jack + BT A2DP
    5. EVDO Rev. A
    6. No OS quirks with expansion cards larger than 4GB capacity
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I agree, I downloaded the TCP stuff and the Mortscrip, worked on YouTube OK after about an hour of playing with it. Then found out about Skyfire and its the best WM browser. Great graphics, fast, you see full page and then zoom in easily for larger type. Probably will be a charge after beta period, but its great right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisholland View Post
    Try http://www.skyfire.com/

Watch flash videos on your WM device in the browser.... Its AWESOME
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Have you considered Touch Pro, its got the same size screen I think, but a slide out keyboard with large qwerty keyboard (large than Treo 800w), I think it is actually about the same size as Storm. Specs look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I have had a palm for years....

still rockin' my treo 700wx now...

I am about to upgrade and narrowed it down to

the Treo Pro

but then after seeing the Blackberry Storm (cheaper monthly plan)

and all the new features...can anyone convince my why not to leave Palm for the new BB storm>

I really , really don't want to ....but it seems all signs point to yes ...

Storm

- bigger screen
    - now touchscreen
    - not WMobile
    - Cheaper(phone/monthly) for verizon
    - Speed
    - Memory
    - Threaded SMS
    - Wifi

Treo Pro ??????

How does it previal

- the only thing I could find is that it only 32gb exp. card instead of 16
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I am running the T750 right now and considering both the TP and the Storm. I'll probably get a Storm free from my employer if I want it. In researching what I can about the Storm, I have not seen anything - besides the start of this thread - to indicate the Storm has WiFi - anyone know for sure?????
    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I have had a palm for years....

still rockin' my treo 700wx now...

I am about to upgrade and narrowed it down to

the Treo Pro

but then after seeing the Blackberry Storm (cheaper monthly plan)

and all the new features...can anyone convince my why not to leave Palm for the new BB storm>

I really , really don't want to ....but it seems all signs point to yes ...

Storm

- bigger screen
    - now touchscreen
    - not WMobile
    - Cheaper(phone/monthly) for verizon
    - Speed
    - Memory
    - Threaded SMS
    - Wifi

Treo Pro ??????

How does it previal

- the only thing I could find is that it only 32gb exp. card instead of 16

It seems we have the same views. Although, the Pro is not a VZW option just yet. I dont think it will be either. Also, the Touch Pro is not a VZW option either.

I like the screensize, the new technology of the screen, and the iPhone-ish look and functionality. The BB OS scares me a little but WM is so quirky and screws me over alot, Im thinking about jumping in with both feet.

I will definately go to the store and play with one for an hour or so before I decide but with the short list of devices (any?) VZW has with a full screen or new ones that everyone is getting, Im leaning toward that side of the fence.
    I aint nobody, dork!
    I too am a long time Palm OS user and contemplating getting the Storm.
    Verizon most likely will not get the Treo pro, I am not switching carriers and even if I can get the Treo on Verizon I refuse to pay full price for it.

One correction: The Storm does NOT have wifi, but neither does my Treo 700P and I don't miss it.

There are apps out for the blackberry and in March they are opening an appstore.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    thanks for the talk all....

I have decided to go with the storm....

I will check back and tell you how it is going...

cheers

-richtree
  11. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Well I've spent $1000's over the years trying out every shiny touch screen and slider devices and still keep coming back to the Treo form factor, and it's like a weight has been lifted everytime I do. The novelty of eye-candy soon wears off, as does having to slide out a keyboard, waiting for screens to rotate, or trying to use "virtual" keys while on the move. If your day involves messaging, quick-fire responses, or easy one-handed info lookups, IMO nothing but front-mounted qwerty will do. If, on other hand, you like to sit watching YouTube and movies instead of working, then other handsets may be far more suitable
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    Well I've spent $1000's over the years trying out every shiny touch screen and slider devices and still keep coming back to the Treo form factor, and it's like a weight has been lifted everytime I do. The novelty of eye-candy soon wears off, as does having to slide out a keyboard, waiting for screens to rotate, or trying to use "virtual" keys while on the move. If your day involves messaging, quick-fire responses, or easy one-handed info lookups, IMO nothing but front-mounted qwerty will do. If, on other hand, you like to sit watching YouTube and movies instead of working, then other handsets may be far more suitable
    How about waiting for the Treo to reset after trying functions that have been working for months?
    How about waiting for the Treo to reset after trying to answer a second call?
    How about waiting to re-pair the bluetooth headset that has been working for months because all of a sudden the Treo has forgotten all about it?

Don't act as if the Treo is flawless because it's far from it.
    The Storm can create and edit word and excel documents, and it can sync to outlook notes and calendar. Those are most important to me outside of the actual phone calls.
    Being able to install various different apps is what causes a lot of the problems with Treo's, hopefully that won't be as bad when the blackberry appstore opens.

I have never tried a virtual keyboard but from the reviews I've read of the Storm it sounds like it works just fine. I refuse to be loyal to one particular device manufacturer because they sure aren't loyal to me.

Blackberry is heavily used by many corporations for their IT staff and sales force, therefore it can't be that bad. Those are people that have to respond quickly. Within my own company they supply a blackberry to the IT staff, I didn't want one because I don't want to carry two devices and I don't want to get my work email on my Treo.

Sherwin Williams used to supply their staff with Treos and switched to Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    words...
    I think you missed the "form factor" he wrote after Treo. Blackberry Curve, Bold, etc... all have the same form factor as a Treo. That's what he was referring to, a front facing hard QWERTY keyboard.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    I think you missed the "form factor" he wrote after Treo. Blackberry Curve, Bold, etc... all have the same form factor as a Treo. That's what he was referring to, a front facing hard QWERTY keyboard.
    ...and I think you missed this jab:
    "If, on other hand, you like to sit watching YouTube and movies instead of working, then other handsets may be far more suitable"

That implies that other devices are not suitable for doing actual work.
    Last edited by pool_shark; 11/05/2008 at 11:20 AM.
    ...and I think you missed this jab:
    "If, on other hand, you like to sit watching YouTube and movies instead of working, then other handsets may be far more suitable"

That implies that other devices are not suitable for doing actual work.
    No, I caught the jab - however he still wasn't comparing the Treo and Blackberry specifically. He was comparing front facing QWERTYs and non-front facing QWERTYs.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  16. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    No, I caught the jab - however he still wasn't comparing the Treo and Blackberry specifically. He was comparing front facing QWERTYs and non-front facing QWERTYs.
    Quite. The TP is still early days with me (fortunately I rarely use Bluetooth). I've had good service from all previous Treos, but have also used qwerty-bars from many other manufacturers with varying degrees of success. In Palm's defense though, I can't think of one device that's not had serious bugs with initial firmware out of the box, (apart from maybe the i780 and Q9h, which is still my main "work" phone) so I have no reason to think the TP's won't be fixed. Compared to other marques (especially HP and anything made by Techfaith Wireless), Palm have been pretty good in this respect.

The "other handsets" comment was aimed at raved-about devices where eye-candy counts more than functionality, where users are obsessed with "skinning", or where devices are simply designed to be more of a multimedia showcase rather than a serious busness tool. I've never seen that accusation levelled at BBs, even though it may be bowing to that pressure with the Storm, and that kind of feature set may float your boat more than a boring old Treo. The Treo and Storm are radically different devices aimed at users with different needs so it's pointless to try and play one off against the other.
    Last edited by Me2; 11/05/2008 at 02:07 PM.
  17. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    I have never tried a virtual keyboard but from the reviews I've read of the Storm it sounds like it works just fine.
    You might well like it, but until you've actually lived with one, you can't really judge. My experience is that most people "put up" with it to get the larger screen. Personally, I'd rather have proper keys with tactile feedback (I hate touch sensitive phone buttons too).
    Blackberry is heavily used by many corporations for their IT staff and sales force, therefore it can't be that bad. Those are people that have to respond quickly. Within my own company they supply a blackberry to the IT staff, I didn't want one because I don't want to carry two devices and I don't want to get my work email on my Treo.

Sherwin Williams used to supply their staff with Treos and switched to Blackberry.
    IME that's far more to do with network & corporate security than user convenience. WM devices are a big risk and a nightmare to support because of open nature of the OS, the huge range of different hardware available, and the thousands of badly written apps and tweaks out there that users are bound to try (and then ask you to fix). BB allows corporates to keep the platform locked down, their network and data safe, have a single supplier (with rigid service level agreements), and support costs under control - which is all that matters in that environment.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12