Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

HTC Touch Pro is adding some heavy firepower to the Touch Diamond campaign for domination of the WinMo realm. The new pro by HTC is a true all-rounder, with multimedia and navigation just part of its ammo, and has every premise of becoming the most complete Windows-powered device to date. Armed and dangerous it is, but will it get a license to kill?

Key features

* 2.8" 65K-color touchscreen VGA display
    * Five row full QWERTY slide-out keyboard of brilliant ergonomics
    * TouchFLO 3D Home screen and gesture controls
    * Wi-Fi
    * Qualcomm MSM7201A 528 Mhz CPU and 288 MB DDR SDRAM
    * Dedicated graphics chip (64MB RAM reserved for graphics)
    * HSDPA 7.2Mbps
    * Built-in GPS receiver with A-GPS
    * microSD memory expansion
    * Stereo FM radio with RDS
    * 3.15 MP auto focus camera
    * Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support
    * Active magnetic stylus
    * Touch-sensitive scroll wheel
    * Standard miniUSB port and Bluetooth v2.0 with A2DP
    * TV out
    * Teeter game aboard
    * Cool YouTube client
    * Excellent video playback performance
    * MS Office Mobile document editor
    * Opera 9.5 web browser

Main disadvantages:

* Rather bulky and heavy
    * Fingerprint-prone front panel
    * Average sunlight legibility
    * No standard 3.5mm audio jack
    * Back panel design hurts usability
    * Limited scroll wheel usage
    * No adequate storage memory out of the box

HTC Touch Pro is armed to the very last one of them QWERTY teeth, almost every worth having mobile phone feature on its list. So much so, that a viable alternative is hard to find on the current market.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Is anybody using this phone?
    HP-41, HP-41CV, Nokia 5165, LG 5250, LG LX5350, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P 32GB SDHC, HTC Touch Pro 16GB + BIZZ 16GB
    Some Sprint users now, AT&T next week hopefully.

WMexperts.com has the users. It's TC's sister board.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Just got my touch pro and all i can say is bye-bye palm, finally for good. I have said this in the past, but the HTC phones just didnt have enough for me to switch. The touch pro finally does IMO. I am going to comment on your main disadvantages, again, these are my opinions. Keep in mind all of my comments are based on the SPRINT model:

Rather bulky and heavy: Compared to a touch diamond, yes. Compared to a centro, no. It is not that much bigger and looks much better. Considering what is packed into this thing...i will take the larger size. It is not bigger than an 800w.

Fingerprint prone: Yes, but so was my palm screens. not an issue to me, no worse than say an iphone.

Average sunlight legibility: Not from what i have seen. If you need to, crank up the backlight (at the expense of battery), it is WAY brighter than the 800w.

No standard 3.5mm audio jack: I was disappointed in this as well. at least it has a dongle that supports 3.5 (no more adapters) and charging at the same time. But you still have this big dongle hanging on there. This is one of my only big disappointments on this device. When will they learn?

Back panel design hurts usability: I am not sure how or what this means? the back panel is a matte finish silver that is flush. not fingerprint prone and rounded edges, fits me fine.

Limited scroll wheel usage: Agreed, but since i am left handed, i dont care about scoll wheels as they are ALWAYS on the wrong side for me. Also, the touch and slide motion on the screen allows you to scroll, it takes some getting used to.

No adequate storage memory out of the box: it comes with a 1GB card. Is that enough? not for me, but i think it is adequate.

Here are my main complaints/observations:
    No backup software: had to buy sprite. not that big of a deal, but if you read the HTC pro manual from HTC, it was originally included. sprint must have stripped it to save a few bucks.

no FM radio: i am not sure how much i would use this, but it is in the original spec and manual (not the sprint manual). it also appears you cannot activate it with a custom rom like the diamond. this would be great for at the gym to watch tv.

no front camera: yet another thing sprint must have taken out. again, not sure how much i would use this, but i dont like reading the HTC version of the manual and seeing what could/should be in there.

keyboard: keyboard is good, but just like the 6700, the top row is very close to the screen. those of us with big thumbs/fingers have to get used to this to type numbers. it is nice that they added the 5th row for numbers....you dont have to hit fn as much.

lack of buttons/user configurable buttons: i wish there were a couple of user changeable buttons somewhere on this thing. if you go to the area to customize the buttons, there is only one option, the middle button. everyone uses these differently, and it is really nice to have hardware buttons to get to the 2-4 things you do most. you can however set the end call key to switch from vibrate/tone for ringer/messages just by holding it. i love that. not quite the hardware switch like palm, but finally a viable alternative for a non palm phone.

battery life: now im not going to be one of those people who complain about this and have:
    5 different apps running
    an echange account and hotmail set to push
    3 imap accounts that autosync
    4 radios always on (CDMA, bluetooth, GPS , WiFi)
    screen set to 100% brightness
    playing music

beware, if you are going from a POS operated device, to this that all of these features come with a price...battery life. the life is WAY lower than my centro or 755 ever was, but it can do more. I will just have to be in the habit of always plugging this in when i have too. it is nice that it uses a mini usb cable, i have them on every computer, my car charger and the outlet by my bed. i will use this for everything it can do, but understand i will have to be charging it off and on throughout the day.

touchFLO tutorial: i usually do not watch these, but a very short tutorial of the finger gestures would have been helpfull. i figured out most of the gestures on my own, but reading the manual showed me a couple i didn't know (zooming). I, like most people, do not read the manual before using a device. similar to how WM makes you do that copy paste action in the initial setup, but maybe not required EVERY time you do a hard reset.

touchFLO can be slow: there are still times it pauses a bit, but NOTHING lilke the 6800 where it took 5 seconds to go from picture to landscape mode or lagged 4 seconds when looking up contacts in my long list.

That being said, i still think this is a great device and the first non palm phone that will keep me from going back.

OK now here are a few things i like (in addition to above):

-The touchFLO interface is pretty, yet functional. is it perfect? no, but it does a decent job. It give the phone a bit more of the iphone feel, but with windows. i wish the folks in redmond had hired the touchflo designers a few years ago. HTC has done a good job with what they could, but there are many area where it is still the old (and clunky) WM.

-the touch screen works good (better than TFT)

- i like the zoom wheel action. basically to zoom in and out of pics and apps like google maps, you can just do a finger swipe in a circle around the select button. clockwise to zoom in, counter to zoom out).

- the motion sensor is cool. like the iphone, when you rotate the phone, it will go into landscape mode on some apps.

- i actually don't mind the HTC screen keyboard....great for small messages and it is fairly accurate. it seems to me that it was easier to type (with accuracy) on the pro screen than the apple onscreen KB. the slide out KB is great for long emails....best of both worlds.

- love the magnetic stylus. i am sure i will still lose it, but not from falling out. some apps (not many) will behave differently if you pull it out. phone app will open notes if you are on a call.

that's it. other pro users/trial users let me know if you agree/disagree or have other POV's.

last, i think that picture you have posted at the top is the diamond, not the pro. the front is similar, but the back of the pro is silver and has a flash for the camera.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Sorry for that BigKenny my bad. You're right the pic was the HTC Diamond. I was a bit confused with both phones. My apologies. Here are the real pics of the HTC Touch Pro.

Last edited by Fiffer; 11/10/2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I think I'll wait for the HD.
    HP-41, HP-41CV, Nokia 5165, LG 5250, LG LX5350, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P 32GB SDHC, HTC Touch Pro 16GB + BIZZ 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by d1hamby View Post
    I think I'll wait for the HD.
    I thought they weren't bringing the HD to the US? but they could be saying that so that they wouldn't hurt the touch diamond, and touch pro sales...
    HTC Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Regarding the FM Radio. I don't know if this works on the CDMA version of the TP (I read it does work on the ATT version which also had the FM software removed, but the hardware is still there), but have you tried the FM Radio Cab from XDA? I attached the cab. You can also find it here if the upload didn't work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...stcount=204%29
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing this jglev. Might really help TP users out there.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    Thanks for sharing this jglev. Might really help TP users out there.
    Always happy to help. I ordered my Fuze, but haven't gotten it yet. I am looking forward to joining the TP club.

I think all TP users should check at xda developers. They have a subsection for the Sprint CDMA version, and I think that there is stil useful information in the GSM sections. Here is a link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=437. Oh, and for all you TP userers who didn't know, the HTC code name for the TP was the Raphael, hence the name for the XDA Forum.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by d1hamby View Post
    Is anybody using this phone?
    I just picked an AT&T Fuze this afternoon.
    My recent (current Phones are Blackberry Bold, Iphone 3G and now this.. whatever it is.. It is one Clunky phone.. It does EVERYTHING but it does NOTHING well.
    My biggest gripe is it is sluggish compared to the Iphone and Bold VERY sluggish.. what can I say it's a WM6 product. there is a delay with everything, and yes.. the memory is clear
    The Touch screen controls are just so frustrating!! No matter what I try to do with the Touch screen.. scroll, swipe, etc.. 99 percent of the time I get something I did not intend.. like swiping down my contacts.. Inevitably a contact will open up during my search as i "swipe".. of course not the one I intended.

Coming from Iphone.. the Touch control on the Fuze is HORRIBLE.. Yes HORRIBLE (compared to the near perfect touch screen of Iphone) . If the Iphone didn't exist.. one might conclude it is good.. but, coming from the Iphone and comparing side by side it is a complete JOKE.. really.. no contest.

the browser is very buggy and very difficult to maneuver. It just not "FUN"!
    It's alot of "work" to try and use this device.. opening , closing, flipping, correcting, swiping, correcting again, etc etc etc..
    pressing.. nothing... tap.. press tap.. ughhhhhhhhhhhh
    this is by far the most frustrating device I have ever owned.

The Iphone has it's pitfalls ie no MMS, no copy paste.. but what it does it does the best!!
    I thought I'd give a WM6.1 device another try it's been a year or so.. this just confirms my previous thoughts on any WM6 device.. they are horrible compared to Blackberry and Iphone.. just way to buggy and slow..

it sucks It's going back to AT&T Tomorrow!!
    I finally activated my Sprint Pro this morning and used it as my phone for a whole day. It was a tough day. The slide-out KB is nowhere near as efficient as the Treo KB. I'm posting this note from an 800w running on WiFi and it feels like I jusyt doubled my typing speed.

I'll give the Pro a chance for a few more days but it doesn't look like it's a keeper. I want the real GPS, big screen, better headset choice, etc, but if I can't express myself because it would take too long to type what I'm thinking, what's the point?

The Touch on-screen KBs are a joke. For a thumbboard veteran that's used to one press=one letter, those gimmicky 2-letters to a key KBs are probably not going to do it for me.
    Bonnie seemed to have no problem using her Fuze in the review on CNET. Does the scrolling need to be adjusted to one's needs? I think I saw something like that on the Epix, a scroll speed setting. If so, maybe that would slow down the number of errors.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnfb View Post
    I just picked an AT&T Fuze this afternoon.
    My recent (current Phones are Blackberry Bold, Iphone 3G and now this.. whatever it is.. It is one Clunky phone.. It does EVERYTHING but it does NOTHING well.
    My biggest gripe is it is sluggish compared to the Iphone and Bold VERY sluggish.. what can I say it's a WM6 product. there is a delay with everything, and yes.. the memory is clear
    The Touch screen controls are just so frustrating!! No matter what I try to do with the Touch screen.. scroll, swipe, etc.. 99 percent of the time I get something I did not intend.. like swiping down my contacts.. Inevitably a contact will open up during my search as i "swipe".. of course not the one I intended.

Coming from Iphone.. the Touch control on the Fuze is HORRIBLE.. Yes HORRIBLE (compared to the near perfect touch screen of Iphone) . If the Iphone didn't exist.. one might conclude it is good.. but, coming from the Iphone and comparing side by side it is a complete JOKE.. really.. no contest.

the browser is very buggy and very difficult to maneuver. It just not "FUN"!
    It's alot of "work" to try and use this device.. opening , closing, flipping, correcting, swiping, correcting again, etc etc etc..
    pressing.. nothing... tap.. press tap.. ughhhhhhhhhhhh
    this is by far the most frustrating device I have ever owned.

The Iphone has it's pitfalls ie no MMS, no copy paste.. but what it does it does the best!!
    I thought I'd give a WM6.1 device another try it's been a year or so.. this just confirms my previous thoughts on any WM6 device.. they are horrible compared to Blackberry and Iphone.. just way to buggy and slow..

it sucks It's going back to AT&T Tomorrow!!
    Well, like just about every WM phone I've ever tried, I have found that the Fuze needs a custom ROM and plenty of tweaks to really get the most out of the phone. I had the same issue with Tilt, Treo 750, etc.

I'm not sure if I am keeping mine or not. I'm hoping Apple drops new iPhone firmware in the next week or so and make my decision then. For now, the iPhone is simply not a business phone - at least not to me it isn't. And as much as I love the eye candy, I really need them to improve the Exchange server support, BT, and email/contacts apps for me to keep the iPhone. Otherwise, I'll keep my Fuze with custom ROM and load it up with SPB apps to make the thing useable.
    I just picked up a Touch Pro at the Sprint store a few days again since dropping my 700p and trashing the screen.

IMO, it's close but no cigar.

First, I use my PDA mostly for business. I am in at least a 5 meetings per week and live by my calendar. The Today screen on the Touch Pro displays only a maximum of 2 future appointments... this is pretty much a show stopper for me.

Second, while the slide-out keyboard on the TP is certainly nice, it's nowhere near the convenience of having the keyboard on the front of the phone like the Treos have.

Third, when a reminder alert of an upcoming meeting beeps, I have to click the (little) alert button to see what the heck the alert is for. With the Treo, all I needed to do was look at the phone.

Don't get me wrong, the Touch Pro is an absolutely beautiful phone to look at but just does not have the functionality that I am accustomed to with Treo.

I will be returning the phone shortly and looking to pick up either a 755p, 800W or maybe I will try another brand.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal71 View Post
    I just picked up a Touch Pro at the Sprint store a few days again since dropping my 700p and trashing the screen.

IMO, it's close but no cigar.

First, I use my PDA mostly for business. I am in at least a 5 meetings per week and live by my calendar. The Today screen on the Touch Pro displays only a maximum of 2 future appointments... this is pretty much a show stopper for me.
    If you turn off Touch Flo and turn on the calendar part of the regular Today screen, you can set it to show all your upcoming appointments for the day. And when the day is done, it will show you all of your upcoming appointments for the next day. Forgive me if you already know this, but to turn off Touch Flo go to Start...Settings...Personal Tab...Today...Item Tab and then uncheck Touch Flo 3D. Check Calendar (and anything else you want on the Today screen like Messaging, Date, etc.). If you highlight Calendar and hit Options make sure Upcoming appointments and Display all day events are check. You can also change the order of things on the Today Screen by hitting Move Up or Move Down. Keep hitting OK to get out of the screens and the Today screen will re-build itself. You won't have Touch Flo, but you will have all your appointments (and reminders: see below).

Second, while the slide-out keyboard on the TP is certainly nice, it's nowhere near the convenience of having the keyboard on the front of the phone like the Treos have.
    True, but there is an on-screen QWERTY keyboard (much like the iPhone) which isn't bad to use. Just tap the little icon in between the two softkeys to bring it up.

Third, when a reminder alert of an upcoming meeting beeps, I have to click the (little) alert button to see what the heck the alert is for. With the Treo, all I needed to do was look at the phone.
    Again, if you turn off Touch Flo and go back to the built in Today screen, reminders will show up as a bubble at the bottom of the screen. You won't have to tap the little icon on the top.

Don't get me wrong, the Touch Pro is an absolutely beautiful phone to look at but just does not have the functionality that I am accustomed to with Treo.

I will be returning the phone shortly and looking to pick up either a 755p, 800W or maybe I will try another brand.
    It actually does have the functionality that you are accustomed to with the Treo. You just have to know how to make it do what you want it to do. Going from the Palm OS to Windows mobile (or any new operating system) is a big step. It takes a while to get adjusted. What is great about Windows Mobile is its flexibility. It is amazing what you can make it do and what you can do with it if you give it time. Again, XDA developers Rafael forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=437) is an excellent source of information. The Touch Pro can do everything and more than the 800w and vertually any other Windows Mobile phone as well as any POS phone or iPhone.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Yeah I do believe that the HTC Touch Pro has more functionality than the 800w and even the Treo Pro for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev View Post
    If you turn off Touch Flo...
    I hear you... it just doesn't make sense to me to buy a Touch Pro to only turn off Touch Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    Yeah I do believe that the HTC Touch Pro has more functionality than the 800w and even the Treo Pro for that matter.
    Doesn't the Treo 800W and Pro come with Windows Mobile 6.1? Isn't that the same OS that the Touch Pro uses? If so, wouldn't their functionality be the same?

I am new to Windows Mobile so it's very possible that I am missing something.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal71 View Post
    I hear you... it just doesn't make sense to me to buy a Touch Pro to only turn off Touch Flo.

Doesn't the Treo 800W and Pro come with Windows Mobile 6.1? Isn't that the same OS that the Touch Pro uses? If so, wouldn't their functionality be the same?

I am new to Windows Mobile so it's very possible that I am missing something.
    Touch Flo is really just a pretty face and is a resource hog. It makes the OS a little more finger friendly.

Yes, the Treo 800w and the Pro have the same OS as the Touch Pro, but the Touch Pro has a higher resolution screen, WiFi (which I don't think the 800 has). In terms of what they can do, I would say the Treo Pro is the closest to the Touch Pro except for the VGA screen and screen size (and don't forget the price difference).

If you want to keep Touch Flo on, there is another option to getting your appointments. Use something called S2Unlock (slide to unlock). It uses and iPhone like slide unlocker which can be configured to show your appointments. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=314703)
    Last edited by jglev; 11/19/2008 at 06:58 AM.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev View Post
    Touch Flo is really just a pretty face and is a resource hog. It makes the OS a little more finger friendly.

Yes, the Treo 800w and the Pro have the same OS as the Touch Pro, but the Touch Pro has a higher resolution screen, WiFi (which I don't think the 800 has). In terms of what they can do, I would say the Treo Pro is the closest to the Touch Pro except for the VGA screen and screen size (and don't forget the price difference).

If you want to keep Touch Flo on, there is another option to getting your appointments. Use something called S2Unlock (slide to unlock). It uses and iPhone like slide unlocker which can be configured to show your appointments. (http://forum.xda-developers.com
    /showthread.php?t=314703)
    There are a bunch of inaccuracies here. The 800w DOES have wifi, as does the Treo Pro. In fact, there's not a whole lot of difference in terms of the capabilities of the Treo Pro and the 800w. The Pro has a 3.5mm jack whereas the 800w doesn't, but aside from that and a different case, and a larger battery for the pro, I'm not sure there is much difference.

The way I see it, the big things that are different between the Touch Pro and the Treos are:

1) Touch Flo
    2) Larger/higher-res Screen on the Touch Pro
    3) Larger keyboard on the Touch Pro - which is also slide-out as opposed to the Treos.

I'm trying to sell old and current gadgets (including my 800w) in order to step up to the Touch Pro, mainly for #2 and #3, but also because the 800w (at least mine does, maybe others don't?) has a bug where if you are listening to something via wired or wireless headset and you turn the screen off, the phone crashes. This happens with mutiple audio programs, but it doesn't happen 100% of the time, only maybe 70-80%...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast