1.    #1  
    I am an aging Verizon 700p user-
    Phone has been great to me, and I've been a loyal palm user for years, starting with the IIIxe.
    I'm a bit worried about palm's future, and need a new phone as my new every 2 is almost here-

Hotly debating between verizon's curve and the palm centro ... not too keen on verizon's upcoming touchscreen phones ... curve seems great and I feel like EVERYONE has one, even more so than the iphone ... but the centro has the palm OS, which, no matter how dead it is, belongs in the hall of fame of OS's, if such a thing exists ...

I've read a lot on these forums but dont think I've gotten a good idea on what phone to purchase.

Any words of advice?
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 10/24/2008 at 01:42 AM.
    Silly question: do you NEED a new phone right now? If not, wait a month or two and see what is released for the holidays. AKA have an idea which phones you like but milk that 700 for a little longer. It may make your decision a little easier.
  3.    #3  
    yes, my new every 2 is almost up, and the only thing I see coming down the pipeline for verizon are touch screen smartphones. I like keyboards. So my options are between the curve and the centro-
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The Centro is a solid phone itself. I just don't know which Curve you are looking for specifically because there's the Curve 8300, 8310 and 8320. The Curve though seems to be a fresher and hip smartphone compared to the Centro.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
  5. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    If you like Palm OS why switch? The Centro has a low bling factor, but it works and is the best Palm OS phone I've ever used.
    I have the verizon curve work gave it to me and it is a good phone but I would trade in a second for the centro. I just don't like it. Even just to change the home screen is a pain. I would throw this curve off a roof if I think I could get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiffer View Post
    The Centro is a solid phone itself. I just don't know which Curve you are looking for specifically because there's the Curve 8300, 8310 and 8320. The Curve though seems to be a fresher and hip smartphone compared to the Centro.
    I have both. The Curve is a solid business phone but for personal use the Centro is generally better. The Curve does some things better than the Centro though, it has a 3.5mm headphone jack and the camera has a flash. It also has much better battery life.

Personal email is better on the Centro if you have Chattermail. SMS messaging is better on the Centro. The Browser is also better I prefer the Centro as a phone too.

If you have a bunch of 3rd party apps you like, you should probably stick to the Centro. I don't think PoketQuicken is available for the Curve for example.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the advice

I was all set to get the centro, but then comes the rumor that verizon is coming out with FOUR new smartphones in november

Blackberry Storm
    Samsung Omnia
    Samsung Saga (aka i770)
    HTC Touch Pro

Granted, none of them has the Palm OS, but they are great looking devices compared to Verizon's Centro...

Confused, again...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Thanks for the advice

I was all set to get the centro, but then comes the rumor that verizon is coming out with FOUR new smartphones in november

Blackberry Storm
    Samsung Omnia
    Samsung Saga (aka i770)
    HTC Touch Pro

Granted, none of them has the Palm OS, but they are great looking devices compared to Verizon's Centro...

Confused, again...
    The Blackberry Storm looks cool but its still a Blackberry. Great if that's what you want but it comes with its own set of limitations.
  10. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The Blackberry Storm looks cool but its still a Blackberry. Great if that's what you want but it comes with its own set of limitations.
    ^I agree completely and not only that, but am I the only one that is expecting the first mass-produced touchscreen BlackBerry to have it's own set of issues. While I agree that the Storm / Thunder is a kewl looking device, it kinda looks like an "early adopter only" device to me.

Perhaps I'm wrong, its happened before hehe. Just my .02.

Back to the original topic... I would just stay with a Palm Centro in your case. Its familiar to you, zero learning curve, no re-purchasing of third-party software, the list goes on & on.

L8R
  11.    #11  
    what exactly are the major issues with the blackberry, and how are they different than the centro's?

my 700p has been good to me, but the random resets and lags are getting to be a drag. not sure if its my phone or the OS. the palm OS seems stale, however great it is, and I am worried about investing in the platform for 2 additional years when it is already obsolete. I would stay with the Palm OS as long as I knew the NOVA OS, if that ever comes, is backward compatible with the majority of palm 0S programs.

However, not a word at all about the Nova OS except it is coming sometime in 2009- is this because no one cares, or no one believes it? why all the hype about windows 6.5 or 7, or android?
  12. UserOne
    what exactly are the major issues with the blackberry, and how are they different than the centro's?

my 700p has been good to me, but the random resets and lags are getting to be a drag. not sure if its my phone or the OS. the palm OS seems stale, however great it is, and I am worried about investing in the platform for 2 additional years when it is already obsolete. I would stay with the Palm OS as long as I knew the NOVA OS, if that ever comes, is backward compatible with the majority of palm 0S programs.

However, not a word at all about the Nova OS except it is coming sometime in 2009- is this because no one cares, or no one believes it? why all the hype about windows 6.5 or 7, or android?
    Not sure if this was directed at me, but I'll respond anyways hehe.

As far as the "major issues", I don't know... I'm talking about the issues (some maybe big, some maybe small) that will become discovered once the device is released.

Just as an example... when the G1 (HTC Dream) was announced, it looks all good until you get it in your hands and find out "oh, this little bit on the end sticks out and really is annoying when typing" or "that curved up one end of the phone is just damn awkward", etc., etc.

Granted, maybe some of the issues discovered may be rather petty & some may choose to just deal with them. The question is do you want to be the "early adopter" that spends the time, money & effort just to find these issues that almost always happen on any new smartphone device (I'm not trying to single out BB here). Personally, I am perfectly content to sit on the sidelines and read the reviews, play with the demo models in stores, use friend's Storm's and see what's what before jumping on-board.

As far as being "OBSOLETE", I've always felt that if the device does what YOU want it to do, then it isn't obsolete for YOU. In this respect, it doesn't matter if the device is 5 years old or 5 days... its just up to personal requirements & preference.

Just my .02, take it as that .
    Asked my wife if she wanted something to replace her centro. Nothing out there interests her. She basically said the centro is easy to use, does texting very well, is a perfect size and does everything else she wants. In addition, she cites the unique 3rd party apps for palm, ease of just using one hand to operate, etc.

So you can say its obsolete, but yet these newer phones coming out still don't seem to get it. WM is still a pain to use. BB is limited and possibly even more boring than WM. Apple wants to nickel and dime you and imposes huge controls on you. And android is tied to one crappy carrier and is very limited right now.

In the end, it still depends on what you want out of a device. For others, they're more concerned with the reaction from others of how cool it looks.
    Ok I have 700p and the centro. Both have one big problem the bluetooth does not work right(unpairing). Plus the os is dead. One of the things I have always had a problem with is that 50.00 phone with bluetooth works better than a palm. So unless someone can tell me that the new windows palm units work better on bluetooth it time to move on. I need a PDA but one that works.
    Treo 680 On ATT
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice

Blackberry Storm
    Samsung Omnia
    Samsung Saga (aka i770)
    HTC Touch Pro

Confused, again...
    The Samsung Omnia would be a great phone. It has multiple functionality and Samsung phones are one of the very high end quality in the market today.
    Last edited by Fiffer; 11/07/2008 at 08:00 AM.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I'm in the same situation, as have been looking at the same two devices you are.

Advantages and disadvantages to both. In either case, I'd loose my investment in extra batteries, charges, screen savers, pen stylus and cases. With the Blackberry, I'd have to spend close to a couple of hundred dollars on new software.

So, I've opted to keep my trusty 700P. It's been quite stable (my last crash was six weeks ago) and I can live with a couple of seconds of lag once in a while when it connects to the internet (which I mostly use for news and mobile sites).

I'm going to see what comes out in 2009. I dropped my insurance on it - if something happens to it I can get a Centro at just a few bucks more than the deductible - even if I don't use my Verizon new every two.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
  17.    #17  
    well,

cant seem to get a convincing argument for the curve, so thats out.

most people are suggesting the centro, but I'd hate to own a device that will have an outdated and unsupported OS, if thats not already the case.

I will be getting the blackberry storm, when it becomes available.

I hope to return to Palm one day, especially a treo. but the reality of it is, you have a company that has taken YEARS to build an updated OS, and still, you dont see any screen shots or any hot leaks in any online forums, leading me to suspect that its probably still a ways away from coming to reality. It took google virtually a heart beat in the tech world to come out with android, and for apple and others to update their OS quickly. not quite sure whats going on over there at palm.

until the storm comes out, I downloaded a launcher program called TouchLauncher, which has breathed new exciting life to my treo 700p. Its really an amazing software, gives the treo an iPhone like feel.
    The biggest issue for many is ironically email support. If you have personal email accounts that support IMAP with IDLE, Chattermail can provide push email to your Treo/Centro with full mailbox sync. That isn't possible with a BB on a standard consumer plan. If you pay another $30 or so a month, you can get a BES plan and a subscription to a hosted BES account. That's quite a bit more expensive that a Chattermail license and a free GMail account.

The PIM software on the BB is quite limited compared to what's available on the PalmOS devices and the Browser doesn't work so well either. 3rd party apps are more limited in General on the BB. For example, no Pocket Quicken or Zagat's with an offline mode. No threaded SMS messages either.

OTOH Blackberrys do run Kava apps quite well unlike the Centro and they are great for corporate email.