Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got to use a G1 today.

Size: it's taller than the Centro, slightly thinner, wider and lighter. It's feels more pocketable than my old Treo 650. Holding it feels more similarly with the Centro than the iPhone, which is good.

Screen: excellent. Bright, sharp and very generous dimensions. The difference with the Centro is striking, like breaking out of jail.

Browser: very good. No problem viewing lots of my favorite sites, scrolling, zooming, etc. Better than I expected. Now, I can read all the important stuff on my Centro already, since most big news sites have a mobile version, and blogs are mostly textual. But I must say I was thrilled to browse full pages. I quickly realized it was better to browse in landscape mode. So I would say that if I wanted to browse, I'd just open the keyboard and stay in that mode where I can read easily and type without switching back and forth.

Controls: the scrolling ball is excellent as a substitute to the Centro 5 point navigation, it's much faster, but slightly harder to press. It moves around quickly over all fields and feels great under the thumb. The Menu button is handy and more accessible than the tiny key on the Centro. Phone, Home and Hangup buttons are there. Holding down for contextual menus is very useful.

Keyboard: fairly easy to use. I'm used to using my fingernails with the Centro and can type quickly, this will take some relearning. Of course, it's not quite suitable for single-handed operation, which is a downside.

Reception: fine in the store in the bay area. 3G was available. That remains a concern though, I'd need to know more about 3G rollout and coverage as I do travel outside metro areas.

What's missing: I consider Exchange Push support in the Centro very important for work. It's not yet available for Android and I would have a hard time without it. Not impossible, since I can use Outlook web access, but a problem. Although I have to say that ActiveSync and Versamail, while much improved since the days of Treo 650, are still painful at times.

Also missing are good audio and video players, but I'm pretty sure substitutes are already available from the Android Market.

If I get the G1, I will have to move my email to GMail, which I avoided for privacy reasons until now, but then again, I feel that to get spam under control, you have to use a public and large provider like Google or Yahoo, even if then you lose some privacy. Not sure there are good alternatives anyway.

So in summary, biggest concerns are: 3G coverage, ActiveSync and privacy. The device and OS seem very usable, and a pleasure to use. Now I need to think if after getting everything I need done with my Centro, I have any strong reasons to gamble on the G1
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I've already started to migrate from Palm desktop calendar and contacts to Google based ones (thanks to goosync). It seems subconsciously I am preparing for the change. Tmo contract up on 11/9/08. I was thinking of a 680 to Centro upgrade a few months ago...the slick UI and wifi may win out.
    Any other big ones I am missing? I have a TomTom palm app and cheap tzones for email I use for pop3. I'll need to deal with both of those as I to forgo any add'l data plans if possible.
    Very nice review. The g1looks very cool, the only problem I have with it is that I think google knows too much as it is.
  4.    #4  
    I couldn't resist and bought one

As I said it's missing key features the Centro has such as Exchange integration, but I am very impressed. Coming from the Centro is big leap. I used all weekend and did not touch my PC once. Made calls, looked up addresses, listened to podcasts, searched the web, all seamlessly with all the apps behaving well with each other. Playback stops when I answered a call and resumed afterward, I had no problem using the speaker phone and searching the web at the same time, adding contacts from Maps etc. No sweat.

When on wi-fi, YouTube displays in hi-res full screen. Beautiful. Got all my music on already, was able to do online banking on a few sites that would barely work on the Centro. GMail works great.

There are some rough edges but it is quite good for a 1.0 release. I've always defended Palm but the G1 is so much more advanced I'm just not going to see what Palm does or not. Nowadays there are so many companies interested and the technology is there, no reason to worry about Palm. The G1 has a very thoughtful interface, I can tell a lot of effort went into it.

I recommend getting one ASAP
    How is the G1 more advanced? Just wondering... What you listed is all done on the Centro. In addition, i could make another full list of what the G1 can't do that the centro can.

I recommend waiting til the android OS is actually worth something...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    How is the G1 more advanced? Just wondering... What you listed is all done on the Centro. In addition, i could make another full list of what the G1 can't do that the centro can.

I recommend waiting til the android OS is actually worth something...
    Oh, I still think the Centro is a great phone and I would've said the same to anyone (apologies) before I got the G1. But you have to experience it to understand. It's like carrying a computer with you everywhere, it's finally possible.

The Centro does a great job with its limited hardware but it's a very simple device. The ease with which you switch in and out of application and multi-task on the G1 is simply beyond comparison. And the browsing experience is great, you can do almost anything on the web (no Flash).

Again, I'm speaking here as a Centro enthusiast. If you want to wait until Android gets all the missing stuff, I understand. But I can tell you that there is no reason to wait for Palm till the bitter end. The G1 is a fantastic device.
    WHat about video playback ? Can it play h.264 video or MPEG4 ? What audio formats does it support beside mp3 ? AAC ?? wav? aiff ?
  8.    #8  
    Audio:
    MP3
    M4A
    AMR
    WMA
    MIDI
    WAV
    OGG Vorbis

Video:
    MPEG4
    3GPP
    H.264
    H.263

I haven't tried video playback yet, aside from YouTube, which is full screen and beautiful over wi-fi. The free video player can be downloaded from the Market.
  9.    #9  
    I should also note that the last few days have seen some issues with T-Mobile's new 3G network. I think the G1 traffic overwhelmed them a bit, but things are improving.
  10.    #10  
    Also, an Exchange client is under development and a beta program will be available soon. Overall, it's an amazing device.

Two biggest deficiencies are relatively small memory, and apps currently have to be run from memory only. After all the supplied apps, plus about 15 more from the Market I have 45MB left. Should be enough for my needs, but some people who downloaded everything they found have filled up their memory already. This, and short battery life, which, coming from the Centro is nothing new.
  11.    #11  
    I don't know if Palm will make it, I hope they do. But with Android around, there is a viable alternative to Palm OS and the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I had a loooong look at the T-Mobile when it was released in the UK and I was very impressed for largely the same reasons as you.

My personal main strengths for me were how quick the device felt in the hand, how small and that it's a new geeky toy!

Main weaknesses were battery life, a lack of one-handed use and the massive potential of other Android handsets combined with the 18 month contract it's only available with. I speculate that in six months there will be more devices to pick between.

I also feel loyal to Palm, rightly or wrongly...

Android's current lack of Exchange / Outlook Web Access doesn't bother me too much because Aardvark will arrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I couldn't resist and bought one

As I said it's missing key features the Centro has such as Exchange integration, but I am very impressed. Coming from the Centro is big leap. I used all weekend and did not touch my PC once. Made calls, looked up addresses, listened to podcasts, searched the web, all seamlessly with all the apps behaving well with each other. Playback stops when I answered a call and resumed afterward, I had no problem using the speaker phone and searching the web at the same time, adding contacts from Maps etc. No sweat.

When on wi-fi, YouTube displays in hi-res full screen. Beautiful. Got all my music on already, was able to do online banking on a few sites that would barely work on the Centro. GMail works great.

There are some rough edges but it is quite good for a 1.0 release. I've always defended Palm but the G1 is so much more advanced I'm just not going to see what Palm does or not. Nowadays there are so many companies interested and the technology is there, no reason to worry about Palm. The G1 has a very thoughtful interface, I can tell a lot of effort went into it.

I recommend getting one ASAP
    I bought one and returned it!; i would get a treo like Android in a heartbeat and i hope they, will allow us to install and synch to the desktop too.
  14.    #14  
    We will probably get to a point where the generic label "smartphone" is broken to sub categories. The G1 to me makes netbooks unnecessary, it really feels like a tiny mobile computer. Hence I'm willing to forgo single handed usage, which I do appreciate, but the G1 is absolutely versatile and efficient, especially when the keyboard is used and the great trackball, back and home keys are at your right thumb. It can be used single handedly for anything that doesn't require typing, but of course, it's a compromise most notable when dialing a contact and not being able to just type ahead with one hand. Voice dialing works well actually.

That said, the screen, fantastic browser, GMail and WiFi (which I came to appreciate) make this an incredible device and comparing to the Centro doesn't make much sense. I love my Centro but these are two very different things. Although I largely did the same things with my Centro, the richness of the experience is different.

I bought mine with a 1 year contract because I anticipate that Android will take off and many devices will be coming out in a year. The G1 is an early adopter model, although I happen to appreciate its form factor and would buy a successor if HTC makes one, with higher capacity battery and more memory.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    As I've been reading your previous posts I've realized that the G1 is a good enough smartphone but I still fail to see something totally remarkable with this phone. I'd say give it a couple of months and Google will probably make a better phone perhaps... the G2 maybe?
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    A friend of mine has a G1 and i played around with it all day when she first brought it to work. the internet is the most amazing part of the G1. But i have operal 9.5 installed on my 800w, so I get full web pages anyway. That little trackball is amazing. It has the speed of the Blackberry trackball. But it can move all across the screen. The keyboard was nice. As for shape. i can't get with that funny little curve at the bottom. The programs are piling up quick but it doesn't have Skype which i use a lot for free chat. You have to get iskoot. But i'm sure more applications will come with time. One other major issue for me is the stereo bluetooth. I've grown quite fond of my bluetooth headphone. I use them with my laptop and my 800w. I also sync my 800w to my laptop via bluetooth. so BLUETOOTH is VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
  17.    #17  
    Yeah, it was rushed out with half BT, but from chatter on Android dev it's being worked on diligently. I'm far more confident that it will be a comprehensive stack pretty soon. There will be no carrier restrictions, and I trust Google to update the OS frequently as opposed to Palm.

The G1's most glaring problem is limited internal memory, and all applications must be installed and run from memory only. So you have a big initial momentum of new apps being developed, but users can only get a limited number of them on. Games will be a hard sell, anything over 1-2MB is. Coming from the Palm I'm not too worried as I managed to be productive within the available memory, but it's a stark difference with the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I didn't know about the memory issue. Is that something that can be fixed with an update or will all those who bought the first round of G1's have to purchase a new one? But i have a lot of confidence that google is going to keep thier OS updated. They are a very forward thinking company.
  19.    #19  
    The problem with putting stuff on the SD card is that the OS treats it as memory, but if it's pulled out, how should this be handled? Not a trivial problem. Personally I once replaced a SD card with a bigger one but then it sits there, I never carry a few. And why? Nowadays they have so much capacity it can stay there forever and not run out of space. Really, with prices so low, I don't know why companies are even bothering with SD cards for memory instead of making it permanent. Apple was actually forward thinking with the iPhone in that regard.

Then again, I understand that the G1 was the Android development prototype for the last couple of years and wasn't really thought of as a product that would be released but T-Mobile wanted to be the first and took off with the G1 anyway. It is a good device all around, just not cutting edge. Coming from a Palm device, the memory constraint is nothing new and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use all the apps I need. But heavy games and such will probably stay on the iPhone until better Android devices are out. Right now I look at the G1 and Android as primarily a mobile platform that will do best with location and network aware applications. Multimedia and games secondary.
    I think Apple in their infinite wisdom either assumed that their device would either never crash or that if it did crash and would need a complete restore that the user would either be near their computer or would be in a high speed data network that they can restore over the air (is this even possible with the iphone - I don't actually know what backup options are available).

They also assume that photogrpahers wouldn't want a nice small and easy picture viewer other than the little lcd on their camera or lugging around another device to look at pictures.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast