Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I used to blast iphone but after purchasing TP, I realized Palm is no way close to Apple in innovative culture and consumer service.

Iphone for sure is not perfect, like a toy at the beginning, but Apple keeps updating the firmware very quickly, very soon I was able to read many languages and have many more functionalities and get the bugs fixed, the thing is Apple does listen to the consumer's voice.

TP is more business oriented, but as a businessman, I don't have a lot of time to tweak this stuff or patience to wait for months just for a minor fix. I used to spend months and years to play palm for fun but that was my school years.

The game has fundamentally changed, I think. Tons of players outside: HTC, Apple, Palm, BB, Samsung etc...We just need to be wise and pick the right choice, better choose the company who really listen to you and care you.

Btw, Palm's EBITA now is -83.3 dropped from 95.4, 12 months ago; ROE dropped -20.3% from 5.5%, 12 months ago. Both Cash Ratio and Quick Ratio is close 1.0x, dangerous zone.
    I agree, Palm doesn't have 300 engineers working on one product and thus cannot provide the same level of instant fixes, believe me, I am sure they are not sitting around the water cooler ignoring it's customers. This year Palm, I am sure is dog paddling to stay afloat. This Nova thing will determine their fate.

When I bought my first Handspring product, Handspring too was a small company but they did their best. They also provided something that no one else had. When Palm took over, we were sad because at the time Palm was a much bigger company and thus lost its personalized touch.

While the market has been flooded products that are shinier, that are more stable, Palm still has the edge on personalization of phones, I think over everyone. Some people don't need that, I like that.

So having the phone vibrate incessantly or having the ringer not able to be silenced might be a major annoyance to you, and rightfully so, for me, I have lived with many of these releases, and ALL of them had bugs, but it's my phone, customized for me.

Palm listens, believe me they do, I have sat down in phone release parties with their engineers and that many Treo Central members attended, and we told them what we wanted and why. The listened to a lot, they made some changes and some things they didn't change. I told the engineer I didn't like the creak of the keyboard, he acknowledged a known issue, opened it up in front of me, and replaced the keyboard.

I have an iphone in my left pocket (sans simm) and a Treo Pro on my right hip. When I got the iphone I guess I was expecting too much. Things that news agencies were reporting that were new and innovative, Treophites have been used to these features for years. The iPhone user interface is unbeatable right now, and the browsing fantastic, but other than that, ever feature the Iphone has (other than weak GPS app) the Treo 600 had, how many years ago? Even the camera app sucks (terrible lag) on the iphone, it just looks good when its displayed.

You say that Apple is quick to respond? It took two months to fix the 3G issue, they still have not solved (according to Apple themselves and ATT) the dropped call issue, an no it is not an ATT problem.

So I love browsing on my iphone and entering my todo's on a cool toodledo interface, playing Poker with a table of gamblers, for calls, calendars, appointments, contacts, camera, video, email, GPS, I much prefer my Treo Pro, why? Because Palm did listen to us, and provide us with endless ways to personalize our phones. It the Treo Pro perfect? Not by a long shot, but for some of us, it is fine for now.

My wish? To have the Iphone screen, the Treo keyboard (and yes I can type just as fast on the iphone keyboard, but I have to look at it, Treos, you don't have to look as you type) Iphone internet, and iphone cheap apps but have the functionality of a Treo.

Not trying to make your complaints to seem invalid, but maybe to shed some light. Every phone release for the last 8 years has had people on this forum predicting the end of Palm and trying to get a massive return demonstration.

I like my Treo Pro alot, just saddened that (for purely pleasure) I now feel the need to carry two devices again, something that I haven't had to do for many years.

For you, you have your own priorities and that is what makes this an incredible time because we have hundreds of choices.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply and I don't have time to attack each of your bullet since I'm running for a meeting.

But generally I feel I agree 70% ~ 75% with you.

Just to clarify, I'm not predicting anything, I have been expecting a miracle comeback from Palm for many years. But the fact is....
    I think Palm just gets most things right. Every smartphone has its bugs; every smartphone will annoy some people. I think that the bugs that the Treo Pro has aren't even close to being significant, at least IMO, particularly compared to the iPhone 3G (that I also own).
    In my situation, I did not buy an iPhone, the device purchased was intended primarily for business use and it does well at that. Nothing is perfect.
    PALM is no Apple?

I take that as a compliment.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper23 View Post
    I used to blast iphone ..................
    Palm is no Apple! You got that right, and if you are currently using apple products like I am, and the 80GB page file your experiencing in OSX10.5 is pissing you off, and the functionality (particularly the phone module) in your new iPhone toy is so crippled that you actually go back to using a Treo680 and WAIT for the new TreoPro, then I guess you'd be happy that Palm is no Apple. BTW I've posted elsewhere, Palm staff are fighting for their lives, as you point out indirectly, by your reference to stock price. I would imagine the new OS has 2 outcomes. It will either be so amazing that Palm will survive, or it wont be good enough, and Palm will die.

Personally I'm glad I use a Phone from a company that has some Phone heritage, the iPhone is certainly an example of what happens if your company has no phone experience at all....its a great little mini computer!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I hear the stories and see them in all the forums but my iPhone 3g has never had a dropped call, I almost always have 3g service, and my iPhone works just perfect. I guess I just got lucky or something. Just so you know I do have a treo 680 and a 750 I keep them just to play with when I miss them which has not been much lately.
    cglaguna,

Could you just swap the sim back and forth between your Pro and iPhone when needed?
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisholland View Post
    cglaguna,

Could you just swap the sim back and forth between your Pro and iPhone when needed?
    A bit of a pita but doable. Both TP and 3G sim cards are a pain.
    Would not have Visual Voice mail, thats all.
    On another forum someone mentioned that the internet gateway on the iPhone is different so switching SIMs may be a problem for internet usage unless you contact AT&T. True or not true?

I thought you could just adjust the settings on the new phone, if that's true.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Oh, I didn't know that, I haven't tried. When I get some time, I will.
    -cg-
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper23 View Post
    I used to blast iphone but after purchasing TP, I realized Palm is no way close to Apple in innovative culture and consumer service.

Iphone for sure is not perfect, like a toy at the beginning, but Apple keeps updating the firmware very quickly, very soon I was able to read many languages and have many more functionalities and get the bugs fixed, the thing is Apple does listen to the consumer's voice.

TP is more business oriented, but as a businessman, I don't have a lot of time to tweak this stuff or patience to wait for months just for a minor fix. I used to spend months and years to play palm for fun but that was my school years.
    First, did they ever fix the pitiful calender alarm on the iPhone? Still no copy and paste or draft saving, which is essential to me. It still cannot be used for my business.

Second, Palm IS like Apple in that they both have a way of refusing to include current features for a LONG time, but Apple just gets a free pass for some reason. Apple mainly listens to consumers when they receive complaints and sometimes even that doesn't work. Apple is still being arrogant and telling us what we don't need. Palm did this with wifi on Treos for the longest, and got beaten up for it. Apple removes and leaves out all kind of features on many of it's products, yet still gets praise from the masses.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    good marketing (false advertising) does wonders...

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    First, did they ever fix the pitiful calender alarm on the iPhone? Still no copy and paste or draft saving, which is essential to me. It still cannot be used for my business.

Second, Palm IS like Apple in that they both have a way of refusing to include current features for a LONG time, but Apple just gets a free pass for some reason. Apple mainly listens to consumers when they receive complaints and sometimes even that doesn't work. Apple is still being arrogant and telling us what we don't need. Palm did this with wifi on Treos for the longest, and got beaten up for it. Apple removes and leaves out all kind of features on many of it's products, yet still gets praise from the masses.
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    good marketing (false advertising) does wonders...
    That's It!

Hype it Up, people line up in droves.
    The Apple iPhone is So Cool.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    On another forum someone mentioned that the internet gateway on the iPhone is different so switching SIMs may be a problem for internet usage unless you contact AT&T. True or not true?

I thought you could just adjust the settings on the new phone, if that's true.
    Not that it will change your mind or anyone else's but you can save drafts, at least in emails you can.

Also you can swap the sim with no issues. All I did was call at&t and switched to a normal pda plan and all is well. No issues. All I lost with the iPhone was visual voicemail.
    funny does not work with my sim phone works and Internet does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    funny does not work with my sim phone works and Internet does not.
    What data plan are you on currently? PDA or Medianet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    Not that it will change your mind or anyone else's but you can save drafts, at least in emails you can.
    all in all it's a bit of a mindless game to play. Kinda like comparing Lexus Mercedes and BMW, different models appeal to different people. End of story.

I used to think apple made really cool product, BUT the more I use their stuff, I'm kinda glad micro$oft are the dominant player. With micro$oft even if they don't want you to do something there is usually a work around, with apple, there is often no answer to a problem.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    all in all it's a bit of a mindless game to play. Kinda like comparing Lexus Mercedes and BMW, different models appeal to different people. End of story.

I used to think apple made really cool product, BUT the more I use their stuff, I'm kinda glad micro$oft are the dominant player. With micro$oft even if they don't want you to do something there is usually a work around, with apple, there is often no answer to a problem.
    To each his/her own. Exactly.

Sure there is a work around... it's called Jailbreaking. Not much different than doing reg edits in WM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast