Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Samsung Epix is just released on AT&T. From the first glance the spec is quite comparable with Treo Pro. Any ideas and thoughts on how they match up?

Here's the link for Samsung Epix.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I believe this is the Blackjack III that was being discussed. I had the original Blackjack the day it came out. It was a great device, the biggest problem I had was that it was not WM Pro and had no editing or E-Mail attachment capabilities w/o third party software. I think that has been changed with this device.

Although I probably would not choose this over any Treo product I think the device itself promises to be great.
    This one has full WM Pro 6.1, woot!!

It's now on my list being that it's $100 less than the Pro and can be a better deal IF AT&T will unlock it after a while.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This one has full WM Pro 6.1, woot!!

It's now on my list being that it's $100 less than the Pro and can be a better deal IF AT&T will unlock it after a while.
    As I posted here the price is actually $349.99 (with $100 AT&T Visa card rebate) for a no-commitment price.

As far as unlocking, if we pay full-price AT&T should provide an unlock code without any hindrance. That's what I did when I bought my AT&T Tilt at full price when it came out.

Yes, this is a full WM Pro 6.1 with touch screen, 320x320, aGPS, WiFi, 624Mhz processor (don't know exactly what chip it uses), and even a pedometer(!!).
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
  5. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    As I posted here the price is actually $349.99 (with $100 AT&T Visa card rebate) for a no-commitment price.
    I am not sure about that, both the AT&T Stores in our area said that the $100 rebate can not be applied with the no committment price, it needs a 2 year contract.

The one thing that I didn't like about my Blackjack was that it had too much bass and made the voice sound muffled and unnatural. Reception on it was great though.
    The biggest complaint I had with the BJII was the battery life. The Epix comes with a larger battery (1800mah compared to 1400 mah) but the Epix also comes with more power hungry features.

The keypad looks a lot like the BJII's and personally, I think the BJII has a better keypad than the Pro. The screens should be very comparable and if the Gadget review is comparing the Epix screen to the Omnia, it will be nice.

Needless to say, Samsung has made the choices the holiday season all the more difficult to make. HTC, HP and Samsung's other pending devices will only muddy the waters further.
    Samsung blackjacks always had a problem with lagging text input while texting, but curiously not anywhere else. Also, not a fan of the keyboard, but definitely a good device. I still will keep my Treo Pro as it offers more to me than the Epix.
    I've been waiting for the perfect phone but maybe I'm just too picky, because it's been two years, and I still haven't pulled the trigger.

I was waiting for the Treo 750, but then it only had a 240x240 screen.

I was waiting for the Treo Pro, which looks great and has all the specs, but then it has a crappy keyboard.

The Samsung Epix is a bit pedestrian-looking, but it would be good for me if it wasn't double the thickness it should be.

The Nokia E71 is the best looking of the lot, and would be perfect, if it only had a touchscreen.

My Treo 650 soldiers on while I await a phone that doesn't have a MAJOR drawback. Depending on what At&t's price is when they finally get the Pro, I may go ahead and get one, pending my verdict when I can handle the Pro in person and see how bad the keyboard really is (I've got fairly large fingers, so the Centro keyboard is impossible for me).

I need a GSM phone, or else I'd probably get an 800w over a Pro, even though it isn't as pretty, due to the keyboard I know and love, and the Palm special sauce.
    Why does everyone think the Epix is so thick? It states on the box it's .5" thick, which is as thin as a lot of thin devices.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I am not sure about that, both the AT&T Stores in our area said that the $100 rebate can not be applied with the no committment price, it needs a 2 year contract.
    Obviously I can't say for sure but I got that screenshot after I logged in as myself and the website already identified for me that I'm not yet eligible for an upgrade (and thus it only showed the no-commitment price). I'd imagine if the rebate is not valid for my scenario it should not have been displayed. But my experience told me that we should be able to get this rebate as long as you're still on a data plan. I bought my AT&T Tilt one year ago at full price when it came out. I got a Visa card rebate as well.

Again, I can't say for sure as I don't have time to compare the fine print for this rebate versus the rebate I got for my Tilt.

Hope it helps.
    That looks like the Samsung i780 I had for a couple days. Hated the proprietary plugs. Getting after market earphones was a pain and the charge cable stuck way out the side of the unit. I also didn’t like the D-Pad. I prefer the traditional push/click like the palm. Last of all it was a bit boxy feeling in the handle. Again I think Palm got the form factor right on the Treo Pro. I don’t see why anyone would go with the Samsung over the Palm in this case IMHO.

-D
    Just got my pro last Friday, I would have got the Epix if it was out. More memory,faster processor and bigger battery.
    OK, Just spent 20 minutes with the Samsung.

The sales people know it as Blackjack III but it is the i907 EPIX.

Same exact screen as the pro

nice size, slightly thicker (not huge like some have been saying only based on a picture)and dark chrome vs our black look.

signal was similar to the pro

keybord is awkward but much fewer typos, while the keys are easier to hit they are harder to see as the painted letters are smaller.

volume control stops ringer"brilliant"

did not check the bluetooth call waiting

camera is a little snappier

A very cool options, full LED control form the notifications menu. You can choose if you want the LED to light and for how long 15min to 24 hrs on voicemaile/email/texts/missed calls, etc.

otherwise we are talking the same device just a differnt pad/mouse and casing but it seams like samsung got the "palm sauce" that we they the pro's would be getting.

I actully strugled with the mouse pad, I guess I enjoy the 4-way.
    i don't know what battery life will be like but it has been awesome with the pro

Sorry but after 5 years with Palm it looks like the only reason to have the pro is if you need a cradle option as the EPIX would need a seperate wire to provide power.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
    That looks like the Samsung i780 I had for a couple days. Hated the proprietary plugs. Getting after market earphones was a pain and the charge cable stuck way out the side of the unit. I also didnít like the D-Pad. I prefer the traditional push/click like the palm. Last of all it was a bit boxy feeling in the handle. Again I think Palm got the form factor right on the Treo Pro. I donít see why anyone would go with the Samsung over the Palm in this case IMHO.

-D
    If you're with AT&T, you get a lower price for the same features, even if not on contract. That's one reason.

However in my case, even though I agree Samsung really needs to get rid of those proprietary cables, the Blackjack 2 has been VERY good to me. Way better than the first Blackjack and I liked that one too, but the 2nd version made me loyal. They are supposed to give you a headphone adapter in the box if you need headphones on the new Epix.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Why does everyone think the Epix is so thick? It states on the box it's .5" thick, which is as thin as a lot of thin devices.
    The "thin is better" thing is a bit out of hand IMO. You can't fit a big battery, touchscreen and a good processor in a super thin package yet. Wait another few years and I'm sure they'll get it that thin sooner or later. Unless of course you want the non-removable battery iPhone. That is likely one way they were able to offer the iPhone so thin.

16. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If you're with AT&T, you get a lower price for the same features, even if not on contract. That's one reason.
    I am not getting a straight answer from AT&T on how much lower. So far, I have not been able to get either the website or any store tell me that I can get the rebate without the 2 year contract. If I can get the rebate then it will be $150 less and certainly worth it.
  17. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I don't understand that either, the TP is supposedly 0.53" thick and it is considered slim.
    has anyone held one?
    how's it feel compared to the pro?
    What's the width of the 750?
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    so how do u buy epix w/o extending contract? i just checked online it shows 749.99 (no commitment price)!!!
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast