Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    try it in mail, does not work for me.

You are right. Maybe finger scrolling would work in a better email program. However, it does work with Opera so that shows it is possible with this hardware.
    But in IE, it doesn't work?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    When I first saw the closeup picture of the Epix and noticed no D-pad, I wondered whether that would be a pain.

What do you do if the mouse is turned off? Is it like the Blackberry as far as using that little knob to scroll?

What a poor design.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by trjons View Post
    When I first saw the closeup picture of the Epix and noticed no D-pad, I wondered whether that would be a pain.

What do you do if the mouse is turned off? Is it like the Blackberry as far as using that little knob to scroll?

What a poor design.
    You've got two choices with the optical pad; mouse or 4-way. When the mouse is off, as you slide your finger tip across the surface of the pad it moves the screen. The pad itself acts as a button but doesn't pivot. It's like a mini version of a touch pad on your laptop.

From what I understand, the new HP devices will have something similar.
    I don't know if that was a typo coppertop but it doesn't move the screen. It moves the mouse across anything that is a choice, kinda like sliding your finger across the tab key if it were optical.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    The choice between a Pro and the Epix is going to be tough. I think I can live with the mouse (probably with it turned off) but a hard to use touch screen and an embedded aGPS that wwill not support TomTom or iNav is a definite no go for me. I can test out the screen at a store but I'll need someone with an Epix and a 3rd Party GPS to verify that it works before I'll commit to the Epix.
    Yeah... moving the screen isn't the best description.

Let's try this... when in 4 way mode it moves the selection around the screen?

With a traditional 4way controller, like on the Pro, as you click down on the Today Screen you scroll down the screen highlighting the different areas. In 4way mode, the pad emulates the four way controller through the movements of your finger across the pad.

I found the mouse to be a little cumbersome and the 4way setting took a bit to get used to.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    used epix for 2 days but i didn't like the touch pad. i like the mouse part as it really helped in some apps but it does take a while as u have to keep staring at screen not to hit something else, but didn't like the 4-way..wish if it acted just as treo's physical 4-way than we could have best of both worlds! i didn't like the square form factor esp. after holding tp. its not huge but its not as pleasant as tp. battery life is awesome, battery looks heavy and bulky but it is not, i never felt epix heavy in my hands or pocket.

worst of all is att's bloatware and crippled gps. i mean why would u give so many features but than disable them? this really spoiled the party for me..i never managed to get tomtom working.with tp, it worked flawlessly after few initial headaches!

then y did i go to epix? 2 things (call it bugs) really pissed me cuz even after a month palm has not released any updates or nothing to fix it...
    first is the mute on incoming call and second tp vibrates like crazy!(is there any way to slow it down or vibrate with pauses rather than one big continuous vibrate?)..wake up palm???
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    T-ulk: So you could not get TomTom working. That conflicts with the store where they swear the GPS is not crippled. Of course who believes store reps? Did you get Live and Google Maps to work? Others say yhose programs work once the GPS is set to a Com Port. I would think that if GPS is recognized by them, then it should work for TomTom.
    HTC Fuze should be out next week. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up. My only hesitation is with the thickness.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    T-ulk: So you could not get TomTom working. That conflicts with the store where they swear the GPS is not crippled. Of course who believes store reps? Did you get Live and Google Maps to work? Others say yhose programs work once the GPS is set to a Com Port. I would think that if GPS is recognized by them, then it should work for TomTom.
    google maps worked fine once i manually set the com port (actually it worked for other ports too not just 1, if i rem correctly). as soon as gmaps worked i started tomtom but it never found gps signals..didnt try live...i also tried removing sim with phone radio on but gmaps never found signal nor did the tomtom..i dont know if it means gps is not standalone (is it?) can some one confirm if tp also needs to have internet connection b4 it can find gps signal?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    is it possible to extract the "function key settings" (quick launch) from epix? if we can get it on tp, it would be really handy...
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Hmm. I can understand not getting a GPS signal without the sim as the EPIX is advertised as an aGPS unit. The Pro as I understand it is a standalone GPS unit. Course, that's based on my rudimentary understanding of aGPS :-) That would be a serious issue to some (but not me) if they were depending on the unit for off road or remote location operation.

Still don't understand why a GPS Nav program like TomTom wouldn't work. I do recall reading (from a Coppertop post?) that they had to download ATT&T Navigator before they could get GPS working (presumably for non-Navigator apps).
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    HTC Fuze should be out next week. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up. My only hesitation is with the thickness.
    Is it as thick as the 8525?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    google maps worked fine once i manually set the com port (actually it worked for other ports too not just 1, if i rem correctly). as soon as gmaps worked i started tomtom but it never found gps signals..didnt try live...i also tried removing sim with phone radio on but gmaps never found signal nor did the tomtom..i dont know if it means gps is not standalone (is it?) can some one confirm if tp also needs to have internet connection b4 it can find gps signal?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=13
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 10/29/2008 at 02:04 AM.
    Specs say the Fuze is .7" thick. The 8525 is .73" thick and a touch heavier.
    I gave the Diamond a hard look but there's too many reservations about relying on the virtual keyboard. In reading the various reviews out there, it sounds like the Diamond's interface is good but not great.

I still think the Pro is leading the pack but the Touch Pro/Fuze may change things. I was interested in the HP devices until I saw where the keypad wasn't QWERTY. There's still the Omnia and Samsung's WM Standard device lurking in the shadows. If Samsung has improved the Omnia's touchscreen, it will be a strong contender.
    Is the bump on the F key a Palm only thing? I have relied on that for years to be able to type without looking for years. I am missing that on the EPIX as well. No point of reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjohnson View Post
    You are right. Maybe finger scrolling would work in a better email program. However, it does work with Opera so that shows it is possible with this hardware.
    It has nothing to do with the hardware, it is all about the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Is it as thick as the 8525?
    Almost.

But people that like the Treo form factor probably wouldn't enjoy the Touch Pro/Tilt form factor and vice versa. I've had the 8125, 8525, and Tilt, and didn't really LIKE any of them besides the very cool factor of the tilt.
    OUCH... I love my Palm (that sounds so wrong) but the price on the Epix is killing me!

$89 Link
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast