Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Same as on the Blackjack. Some of that stuff I can use but the music links, except for XM Radio, are actually dead links on my device. And I don't know how to get rid of them.
    You can get rid and reorganize links by opening the Start Menu for the Blackjack.

1. When connected to your PC, go to My Computer and select your mobile device.
    2. Navigate to the Windows Folder on your mobile device.
    3. Navigate to the Start Menu on your mobile device.
    4. Delete or cut and paste elsewhere as necessary (this may require you navigating to the subfolders, such as Applications, Games, etc.
    5. To get the first few applications from being stuck out of alphabetic sequence, you need to edit the registry. But at least you can get rid of the shortcuts for things you don't use and get the shortcuts for things you do use on the main start menu rather than having to tunnel down to get to things.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
    Rusty,

To answer your question the Treo Pro works great on the motorcycle on the back roads. I live in AZ an do mostly Adventure/Duel Sport riding. My only GPS, MP3 Player and phone is my Treo. (www.crozb.com) I do not need to be in Cellular range for the GPS to work with programs like Garmin XT (thought I use iGo now). The screen on the Pro is GREAT on the bike. Sun like is no problem! Also I have to say that the headphone jack on the Pro is great too for us riders. No adapter required!

-D
    That was info I was looking for on the Treo Pro (particularly the screen visibility in sunlight!)

Still wondering about the Epix, especially in light of the 800W's GPS needing network access to download ephemeris data in realtime for initialization (in contrast to the Treo Pro, and the HTC Tilt which has an application to download a week of ephemeris data in a single run).
    Last edited by Rusty J; 10/25/2008 at 06:27 PM.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    also i m waiting for someone to confirm that gps (tomtom/garmin xt) works regardless of phone on or off..
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The Samsung Epix is a stylish QWERTY phone with a slim and sexy look. Although, I think thin phones are not that durable once you drop or sit on them. But since it's made by Samsung, I believe that it's really a compact and high-quality phone.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    also i m waiting for someone to confirm that gps (tomtom/garmin xt) works regardless of phone on or off..
    I need to know this too, I am going to the store to buy an Epix now.

UPDATE: BOUGHT IT, hmmm this is not easy decision.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 10/27/2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    cglaguna: I am very interested in the Epix but a crippled GPS is a deal stopper for me. Can you confirm it works with 3rd party apps (like TomTom or iNav) and works even if the radio is off or out of cell tower range? Also, how bright/crisp is the screen and does your unit have any issues near th eedges like the reviewer experienced (i.e., need to press hard)?
    Quote Originally Posted by swtrainer View Post
    You can get rid and reorganize links by opening the Start Menu for the Blackjack.

1. When connected to your PC, go to My Computer and select your mobile device.
    2. Navigate to the Windows Folder on your mobile device.
    3. Navigate to the Start Menu on your mobile device.
    4. Delete or cut and paste elsewhere as necessary (this may require you navigating to the subfolders, such as Applications, Games, etc.
    5. To get the first few applications from being stuck out of alphabetic sequence, you need to edit the registry. But at least you can get rid of the shortcuts for things you don't use and get the shortcuts for things you do use on the main start menu rather than having to tunnel down to get to things.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I deleted the useless shortcuts!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I need to know this too, I am going to the store to buy an Epix now.

UPDATE: BOUGHT IT, hmmm this is not easy decision.

Waiting on your review.

My local corporate store said Friday that they would start training on it this week(meaning they're not ready for sale there) so I have to wait anyway. Although I'm sure there are other corporate stores that have it in.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    hmm i love the form factor, some people complain it is too big but, I like it. But I like the Treo Pro too. Epix has a nice feel and finish, more professional than the TP.

As far as Tom Tom, I will try to get that loaded today to see if we can use with external GPS.

Thoughts on the EPIX so far:
    Beautiful case, I like it.
    Why the hell did they put a mouse on this phone?, I think that will be the one deal killer for this phone. I wish they had put a circular D-pad that also funtioned like the BJ2 where a finger spin around the circle acted like an ipod. But I would like to be able to push down to traverse on screen buttons. The Stupid thing is when you highlight the button you want to push down, unless the mouse is over that button, you don't get what you want. It is not a matter of getting used to it, it is a poor design. I never felt I needed a mouse on this OS.
    Scrolling is near impossible, it has scroll on right (as all windows products do) but you CANNOT scroll with your fingers at all, and barely can do it with stylus. You have to use the mouse and that is a PITA. the OK button i on the right as it is on TP. There are two redundant buttons that function the same as the bottom two buttons on the touch pad.

the screen feels much better than the Treo Pro. The screen on the Treo Pro feels plasticy to me, more than any Treo I have owned in the past, I like the glass screen of the Epix.

I used Navigation (Telenav yesterday) speaker phone is not as loud as Treo Pro, or it is the fact they put the speaker on the back of the phone and it mufflles during navigation.

Pushing down hard, during screen alignment you have to push hard or it is very delayed, I haven't figured out which. Alignment takes a while to do, it isn't a simple quick quick quick either that or I am not pushing hard enough.

One thing, I am leaning treo pro right now, mainly becuase of stupid uneccesary mouse. If it had Treo Pro navigation I would take the epix immediately.

Also nice on the epix phone speed dial, on the phone screen, does the TP have that? hav to check.
    .... Why the hell did they put a mouse on this phone?, I think that will be the one deal killer for this phone. I wish they had put a circular D-pad that also funtioned like the BJ2 where a finger spin around the circle acted like an ipod. But I would like to be able to push down to traverse on screen buttons. The Stupid thing is when you highlight the button you want to push down, unless the mouse is over that button, you don't get what you want. It is not a matter of getting used to it, it is a poor design. I never felt I needed a mouse on this OS.
    Scrolling is near impossible, it has scroll on right (as all windows products do) but you CANNOT scroll with your fingers at all, and barely can do it with stylus. You have to use the mouse and that is a PITA. ....
    I agree 100% with your “the Joypad is a deal killer" comment.

However, with that being said I remember that on my i780 there was an option to take it out of mouse mode. Taking it out of mouse mode will set to work more like a four-way navigator. In that mode, swiping in a direction is like pressing a direction button on a regular D-pad. You do have to make multiple swipes to keep it moving though, which makes it less effective than a physical D-pad. I can only assume the Epix has this feature also.?.

Nevertheless that is the main reason I sold my i780 as it was a pain to browse/navigate with a Joypad.

-D
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
    I agree 100% with your “the Joypad is a deal killer" comment.

However, with that being said I remember that on my i780 there was an option to take it out of mouse mode. Taking it out of mouse mode will set to work more like a four-way navigator. In that mode, swiping in a direction is like pressing a direction button on a regular D-pad. You do have to make multiple swipes to keep it moving though, which makes it less effective than a physical D-pad. I can only assume the Epix has this feature also.?.

Nevertheless that is the main reason I sold my i780 as it was a pain to browse/navigate with a Joypad.

-D
    Got to work now, but will try that, that may make the Epix the winner... also someone look for me, does the epix support stereo bluetooth? The mouse currenly swipes and it rocks so this may be cool if what you say is true.
    Thanks for the observations.

I could have lived with the optical sensor (either as a mouse or 4-way) but the screen's firmness was the biggest hurdle for me. I've gotten too accustomed to one handed operation and the ability to scroll with my thumb running down the edge of the screen.

I wonder if the cut out for the screen isn't big enough and the edges of the casing is causing the problem?

If you set up speed dial keys on the Pro, they show up when you press the green button. The speed dial keys show up on the "smart dial" screen after about four of your last dialed/received calls.

You can set the screen to show only speed dial numbers but I haven't found a setting to place them at the top of the list with recent calls and contacts falling behind them.
    Got to work now, but will try that, that may make the Epix the winner... also someone look for me, does the epix support stereo bluetooth? The mouse currenly swipes and it rocks so this may be cool if what you say is true.
    Yes, it does support stereo bluetooth, if you believe the official specs.

I'm getting used to the optical mouse, You can turn it off but its still not as good as the spinner on the BJII. I switched the COM PORT to 1 and GPS works with Google Maps and Live Search no problem, Even in my house.
    i can't find the "off" for the mouse, where is it? UPDATE FOUND IT. wow still not impressed. that dang mouse.

Coppertop: yes that is what it feels like is that the edges of the screen do not have touch pad control.
    I feel like I am not hitting any sensors along the edge (where the scroll bar is always located)

Using the stylus it seems you have to hit the 3 markers in the middle of the scroll bar and drag, it sucks.

I am not having any issues with touch anywhere else. My takes a light touch to make the phone recognize it.
    The only time I really have to push is during alignment.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 10/28/2008 at 02:32 PM.
    Looks like I'm going to need to test it in the store first. Or wait to see if they release another batch with the same screen situation. I can't tell if this is a defect or just the way the phone is.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I just got an Epix and found scrolling to be a pain until I realized I can scroll the screen just by swiping a finger across the screen - at least it works with Opera.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjohnson View Post
    I just got an Epix and found scrolling to be a pain until I realized I can scroll the screen just by swiping a finger across the screen - at least it works with Opera.
    try it in mail, does not work for me.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allklrnoflr View Post
    I'm getting used to the optical mouse, You can turn it off but its still not as good as the spinner on the BJII. I switched the COM PORT to 1 and GPS works with Google Maps and Live Search no problem, Even in my house.
    r u using tomtom? mine just says no gps device after i select built-in receiver! getting this gps to work is such a pain in rear..
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    r u using tomtom? mine just says no gps device after i select built-in receiver! getting this gps to work is such a pain in rear..
    Only tried google maps and live, Live did not work until I switched it to com 1.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast