Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by one028 View Post
    does it have gps like the pro? or can you only use the gps with the att navigation software?
    According to the official press release (an example is here) you should be able to use the GPS with other GPS-aware software such as Google Maps etc. Here's an excerpt from the release:
    -- Built-in aGPS -- for use with AT&T Navigator, AT&T Navigator Global Edition and other GPS-based applications for personal and business use.
    (I bolded the font myself above).
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trjons View Post
    What's the width of the 750?
    The dimensions of the 750 are: 4.37" x 2.28" x 0.87" and that of the EPIX are: 4.6" x 2.36" x 0.53".
    I just got the Epix myself.
    Actually, I got it yesterday. Went into an at&t store with the webpage stating the "online discount" and the manager was courteous enough to log-on and deduct the $100. So I paid $220 after taxes, and walked out with a brand new Samsung Epix. (still waiting on the rebate form. Store didn't have one for the Epix yet!)

1st impressions: It's got the WinMo 6.1 software, so that's what everyone has already worked with. I've installed google maps already, but having a li'l trouble getting Opera Mini browser to get installed on there.
    The functions work fine. The battery is suppsed to last for 2 days easy. So I let it slowly die down y'day, and then left it for charging till fulll today.

The weight is nice. I love specs. And it's got a prety decent 2mpx camera.

All in all, for my 1st windows device (I used a low-end samsung 4 years ago, and 2 years ago I moved over to symbian with the original UK version Nokia N95)...so this device is pretty decent.

Right now, if you click on the att link to get the Epix...it shows as $199 after mail in rebates. They've removed the online discount tag. So i'm unsure what's goin on.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Interested to know why this thread is moved to Cross-Platform sub-forum. I thought both Treo Pro and Samsung Epix are running Windows 6.1 Pro? Just curious.
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
  5. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    On the EPIX the GPS is labelled as "ATT GPS" and clicking on it brings up "ATT Navigator subscribe now" or something similar. Is this a bad sign? Is it truly a standalone GPS?

Thanks
    I ordered mine over the phone, it will hopefully arrive by the end of the week...very exciting.

Would have gone Treo Pro if it were picked up AT&T, but it seemed ridiculous to pay extra for the Treo Pro when I had a perfectly good upgrade waiting for me on AT&T, with a similarly spec'd phone coming out...plus I have no problem being locked to AT&T on a contract. I am partial to GSM, I like AT&T, so why spend more than necessary?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    On the EPIX the GPS is labelled as "ATT GPS" and clicking on it brings up "ATT Navigator subscribe now" or something similar. Is this a bad sign? Is it truly a standalone GPS?

Thanks
    You can try downloading and loading up Google Maps, choose "Use GPS" and go outside the building. If you get a fix you're good to go!
    Doesn't aGPS mean you have to have a data connection? (Not Standalone)
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
    I ordered mine over the phone, it will hopefully arrive by the end of the week...very exciting.

Would have gone Treo Pro if it were picked up AT&T, but it seemed ridiculous to pay extra for the Treo Pro when I had a perfectly good upgrade waiting for me on AT&T, with a similarly spec'd phone coming out...plus I have no problem being locked to AT&T on a contract. I am partial to GSM, I like AT&T, so why spend more than necessary?
    You should have asked ATT if they would give you the phone credit on the Treo Pro if that is what you wanted. I am interested in hearing about epix.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Doesn't aGPS mean you have to have a data connection? (Not Standalone)
    This is a good write up on aGPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    You should have asked ATT if they would give you the phone credit on the Treo Pro if that is what you wanted. I am interested in hearing about epix.
    It wasn't a strong enough desire...one of those things where I kind of wanted a treo pro because of the feature set, and seeing a similar one at a subsidized price is way better.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Interested to know why this thread is moved to Cross-Platform sub-forum. I thought both Treo Pro and Samsung Epix are running Windows 6.1 Pro? Just curious.
    I agree.. seems kinda silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerBB View Post
    I agree.. seems kinda silly.
    I think Cross Platform is appropriate for all comparisons. Keeps things from getting too cluttered in the device specific threads, since this thread is focused primarily on the EPIX.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I'd really like to know if the GPS in the Epix will work without access to ATTWS's network (for example, using the Garmin XT application).
    I'd prefer not to have to mount a bluetooth GPS receiver on my motorcycle for back-road riding.

My reading indicates that the Treo Pro has real standalone GPS -- is this correct?
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty J View Post
    I'd really like to know if the GPS in the Epix will work without access to ATTWS's network (for example, using the Garmin XT application).
    I'd prefer not to have to mount a bluetooth GPS receiver on my motorcycle for back-road riding.

My reading indicates that the Treo Pro has real standalone GPS -- is this correct?
    Rusty,

To answer your question the Treo Pro works great on the motorcycle on the back roads. I live in AZ an do mostly Adventure/Duel Sport riding. My only GPS, MP3 Player and phone is my Treo. (www.crozb.com) I do not need to be in Cellular range for the GPS to work with programs like Garmin XT (thought I use iGo now). The screen on the Pro is GREAT on the bike. Sun like is no problem! Also I have to say that the headphone jack on the Pro is great too for us riders. No adapter required!

-D
  16. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    You should have asked ATT if they would give you the phone credit on the Treo Pro if that is what you wanted.
    Unless you can go to an AT&T dealer who sells unlocked phones (still rare), I'd be shocked to see this happen.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by questionfear View Post

Of course, with an unlocked phone, you can use Media Net ($15/month) rather than PDA plan ($30/month). Over the life of a 2 year contract, you would save $360 - more than making up the difference.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    Of course, with an unlocked phone, you can use Media Net ($15/month) rather than PDA plan ($30/month). Over the life of a 2 year contract, you would save $360 - more than making up the difference.
    does the 4-way works just like treo after turning mouse off?
    i m quite liking the epix, both hw and sf wise! best sf feature is the quick launch program...palm should have thought of all this and other fetures rather than just slapping the os on a hw .
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    i didnt know this!!! is it the same data speed and is it unlimited? how do i get the media net $15 plan on my treo pro...im on att..
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast