Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    has anyone held one?
    how's it feel compared to the pro?
    I just did, although I cannot compare it to the TP but the EPIX didn't feel good in my hand; too squarish I think.
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    so how do u buy epix w/o extending contract? i just checked online it shows 749.99 (no commitment price)!!!
    Go to a corporate store. They just verified for me that I can get the mail-in rebate w/o going into contract & my final price would be $349.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I just did, although I cannot compare it to the TP but the EPIX didn't feel good in my hand; too squarish I think.
    Thanks,
    What about thickness compared to the Pro?

<edit> sorry, forgot you said you couldn't compare the Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    has anyone held one?
    how's it feel compared to the pro?
    I'm picking one up in the morning and will have a "first impressions/hands-on" article by the end of the week. I'll be sure to compare it with the Pro and try to get some comparison pictures between the Epix, BJII, and Pro.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i have one... got it with wifey's discount for $180, without extending the contract. i would have stuck with the Pro, but it's very hard for me to (now) spend $550 vs. $180. yeah, i give up the "unlocked" feature, but that will change after 30 days goes by.

first impressions:
    1. it's thicker than the Pro for sure... on the BJII the top part of the phone is thicker than the lower section. on the Epix, that thickness extends for the length of the phone.
    2. the combo DPad/Mouse is pretty cool... i view it as a replacement for the stylus that works well.
    3. the Epix keyboard has more spacing than the Pro, but not as much as the BJII.
    4. Epix has 2 soft keys that are not present on the Pro.
    5. its a Silver finger print magnet...
    6. overall size (except for thickness) is literally the same as the BJII
    7. 123MB of available Storage Memory. Total Program Memory is 108MB, about 72 MB free on first boot
    8. haptic (?) feedback on touch screen (read: vibration) don't know if i'll get used to that
    9. friggin ATT bloatware all over the place.
    10. it has WiFi and USB Connection Mode options
    11. it has a 1800 mAh battery... unlike others, i had very good battery life with my BJII. I'm hoping the Epix is the same.
    12. Call Volume and clarity are a little better than the Stock TreoPro. I was able to significantly boost call volume on the Pro by manipulating the AudioPara.csv file. the Pro with the modified csv file is louder than the Epix.
    13. no "ignore with text option" or i haven't found it yet

choosing this over the Pro will boil down to personal preferences. can you work with a rectangular phone that's a bit thicker than the Pro? or, do you prefer a more curvy look? i could go either way. all 4 of the radios on my Pro died and circumstances put me in position to consider other options. for $180, it's hard to ignore the feature set. hopefully it will work for me.
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    cortez,
    I am very interested in the headset volume boost fix you put together.
    Could you post your modified csv?
    Any special instructions to get it on my Pro?
    Thanks

<edit> Because I'm Hard of Hearing
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 10/21/2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Because I'm Hard of Hearing
  7. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Cortez, thanks for the comparison.

Question, is there a dedicated button for WiFi on the EPIX? I didn't see one.
    Nope, it is not important to have one anyway.
    What's the bloatware, Cortez? I got lots of AT&T Media stuff on my Blackjack, which I may or may not use. I really wish they'd offer the option to install that stuff, because it's not necessary to have all that media stuff take up valuable space on a business focused phone, unless you plan to use it on a regular basis. And they should also offer the option to move it to the storage card.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What's the bloatware, Cortez? I got lots of AT&T Media stuff on my Blackjack, which I may or may not use. I really wish they'd offer the option to install that stuff, because it's not necessary to have all that media stuff take up valuable space on a business focused phone, unless you plan to use it on a regular basis. And they should also offer the option to move it to the storage card.
    things i don't use:
    ATT GPS
    ATT Mail
    ATT Music
    Media Net CV
    IM & Email
    MobiTV
    MobileBanking
    Ms Pac-Man
    Brain Challene
    8 Music Apps

i have no idea how much space is being used for this stuff. i'd get rid of it fast!
    cortez
    Same as on the Blackjack. Some of that stuff I can use but the music links, except for XM Radio, are actually dead links on my device. And I don't know how to get rid of them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Went to ATT today to look at Epix, they told me it was only available online, I told them people were reporting them in the store already, they just shrugged their shoulders. It was a corporate store.
    I guess they didn't ship them out completely yet. I would like to see one in person too.

It's my understanding that supply is very thin right now and I get the feeling that the phone hasn't shipped to all the stores. It's almost as if the device was released early (is that permissable in the WM phone market?)

If you call, ask about the i907 as well as the Epix. It's surprising how many AT&T reps don't know the phone exists.
    Asking about the Blackjack 3 could work too, LOL!

So what was the official release date?

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Cortez, thanks for the comparison.

Question, is there a dedicated button for WiFi on the EPIX? I didn't see one.
    if there is a dedicated button, i haven't found it yet
    cortez
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    they're out there, but not in great quantity. i called 4 stores before i found one. fyi, the mouse is a pretty neat feature. wifey told me the official release date is "supposed to be" 10/23.
    cortez
    The "official" release date that was on the leaked document was hard to read. It was either the 23rd or 25th.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    does it have gps like the pro? or can you only use the gps with the att navigation software?
    Hey... does anyone know where or if you can download the rebate form for the Epix?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast