Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the differences and similarities between Windows Mobile (Pro and/or Standard) and RIM's Blackberry Operating System. To avoid this becoming a: "Well, ____ is better because it can _____." discussion I am interested in some of the similarities and differences. If you want to comment on availability of 3rd party software, media, enterprise, etc. that would be great. I just don't know much about it. Thanks!

Bill
    I don;t use either but, for one thing, BB 'usually' has a higher monthly cost from the carriers. Also, to sync mail, calendar and contact from an exchange server requires a higher BB service whereas WM can do it 'out of the box'.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    This is a good point to make.

Does anyone have any comments on the major difference between the operating systems?

Thanks!
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Billbeme View Post
    This is a good point to make.

Does anyone have any comments on the major difference between the operating systems?

Thanks!
    Bill
    If you want something that works well right out of the box you can try a BB. If you like to tweak things until it's the way you want it... the Windows Mobile is the way to go. Me I need to mess with things, so BB is out of the question. I'd be bored after a day. There are tons of software out there for WM not to mention registry tweaks (which you can't even do on a BB). Depends on you...
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    If you want something that works well right out of the box you can try a BB. If you like to tweak things until it's the way you want it... the Windows Mobile is the way to go. Me I need to mess with things, so BB is out of the question. I'd be bored after a day. There are tons of software out there for WM not to mention registry tweaks (which you can't even do on a BB). Depends on you...
    The thing I keep reading about BB is that it "just works." While I have really enjoyed changing the UI of my WM devices with Mobile Shell, Pocket Plus, and the like (as well as other changes) the fact remains that I have had more problems with my WM devices that successes. That being said, the fact that everyone keeps saying that BB "just works" or "works every time" or "never fails me" is much more appealing than the 5 WM devices I have had that are modified to my preferences but then crash, freeze, lock, or do quite unexpected things.

Maybe after trying Palm OS, WM Standard, WM Professional it is time to try BB.

Any more thoughts on the differences?
    Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Billbeme View Post
    The thing I keep reading about BB is that it "just works." While I have really enjoyed changing the UI of my WM devices with Mobile Shell, Pocket Plus, and the like (as well as other changes) the fact remains that I have had more problems with my WM devices that successes. That being said, the fact that everyone keeps saying that BB "just works" or "works every time" or "never fails me" is much more appealing than the 5 WM devices I have had that are modified to my preferences but then crash, freeze, lock, or do quite unexpected things.

Maybe after trying Palm OS, WM Standard, WM Professional it is time to try BB.

Any more thoughts on the differences?
    Bill
    Like I said, it all depends on you. I've been out of the WM game for a while and just picked up a Treo Pro. I can say it is a lot more stable (no lockups, having to reboot, etc...) than the last WM device I had. (HTC Touch) And honestly even that was not too bad.
    I used both and still do on Sprint: 800w and a 8330 Curve. Its bitter sweet. 8330 is defiantly stable, but with Windows 6.1 is almost as stable WinMo has come along way since my 700wx.

Curve 8330:
    Pros: Battery Life, Stability, Email (instant), Looks Better (My Opinion), Text Messages in regards to a check mark meaning it was sent, Support, Louder (ringtones, appointment nooses, etc), Auto On Off, BlackBerry Browers (but freezes on advanced sites), keyboard, auto display dim adjustment. Its a BlackBerry makes you seem important "Did anyone see my BlackBerry?"
    Cons: !!Web Speed!!, Document Editing (4.5), No Touch Screen, Scrolling the Ball, Data Plan required, Calender (No Copy Paste), Syncing (duplicates and detection), software 3rd parts, full boot uptime, confusing security configuration, and annoying security reminders and system warnings, no automatic screen lock.

Treo 800w
    Pros: Internet Speed, IE Brower Sucks, Threaded SMS all convos, software, Outlook, Calender, Syncing, Touch Screen, screen lock, SD card location, 3rd party prograns + browser
    Cons: BATTERY, EMAIL (errors stop sync, and heavy on battery, non instant), MiniUSB, no soft reset button, lags at times, no custom sounds other than for Ringer, lack of sound customization either vibrate or sound, turns on by itself. With or without the extended battery it looks like a brick. The keyboard needs to be wider, no scroll wheel like on my Mogul
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    integra sure makes a good comparison between the two phones. Any WM mobile device can be quite dragging sometimes but I've been reading so many positive reviews about the Treo Pro. So I'd still go for the Treo Pro.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com