Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was thinking of borrowing an iphone for a few weeks to see if I would like the HD http://htchd.com/

I have had sliders and treos but never a "button deficient" device with a LARGE onscreen keyboard. The iphone and HD are the same size.

Can I get some opinions as to why this would be a good or bad test?
    You'll have a larger choice of text input on the HD - 3rd party applications or WM options of text recognition. The iPhone strictly has its onscreen keyboard.

More importantly, the iPhone screen is capacitive while the HD will be resistive. You could hate the iPhone but love the HD.
  3.    #3  
    I read a little about those 2 types of screens but I'm not sure what the difference means in a user experience.
    Capacitive (iPhone) needs skin. It is a well-documented internet fact that I can't use the iPhone to its full potential because my fingernails get in the way. (I can't use the pinch function at all.) You can't use a regular stylus or fingernails on the iPhone screen.
  5.    #5  
    hmmm,,,, is one considered to be better?
    Dunno if one is considered better or not. I know I personally can't use capacitive.
    I can see how that would be a problem.

I'm surprised i dont hear more women complaining about that problem.

All I know if an HTC HD comes to Sprint Im going to have to leave my 755 behind. That might be why the new Palm OS keeps getting pushed back. Everytime they are close to releasing something, another company raises the bar and sends em back to the drawing board.
    Very possibly, Old Hatch. Personally, I want the Touch HD so bad I can taste it.
    I'm suprised I haven't heard more people complain about the iphone in winter? How do you make phone calls without having to take your gloves off to use the screen? Or do you have to buy special gloves?
    LOL! I remember saying that exact thing when the iPhone first came out. My son (in NYC) bought the iPhone when it first came out, and sure enough he phoned me one day last winter after not being able to answer a call because he refused to take his gloves off in the snow and cold. Mean mother that I am, I just laughed.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    LOL! I remember saying that exact thing when the iPhone first came out. My son (in NYC) bought the iPhone when it first came out, and sure enough he phoned me one day last winter after not being able to answer a call because he refused to take his gloves off in the snow and cold. Mean mother that I am, I just laughed.
    That is one of the great things about Treos and HTC devices, they are on something close to their 8th generation and those kind of gross oversights have been worked out. But holly molley lets not start another iphone bashing thread.

Does it become and issue when moving the cursor in a word document without a 5way dpad? When moving a cursor threw text I find its easier to use the 5way, but the iphone and HD do not have one.
    it's all pros and cons really...

Don't need to reattempt taps or swipes that don't take. Look at any video reviews of diamonds or touch pros and you see this all the time..reviewers tapping something then having to do it again. Resistive screens require a more precise or firmer tap.

Virtual kbs also play a huge role for me. I've gotten used to the iphone's and type pretty fast with auto correct being a great assist as well as double tapping the space bar to end a sentence.

These are probably your biggest differences. I do feel HTC or MS needs to make the process of getting media on the phone easier for the average users. Apple has that down. I heard a rumor that Zune is coming to WM. It should've been there yesterday. But anyways, a huge screen begs for multimedia and MS should've addressed this already.

Yes i know its easy to put media on but you have to make it simple or it doesn't exist...app stores didn't exist til apple right ..lol? Even though you could browse to many "stores" on a centro or wm phone and download trial apps or buy.
    I just ended trial of Diamond, comparing to Centro, and after playing with IPhone.
    I love the IPhone, it has the ease of use of Palm, one button execution does everything, swipes are accurate and work. Screen is simply gorgeous. Third party apps, many now free, are easy to add and use.
    Trying the Diamond compared to Centro, loved the bigger screen, Opera and zoom, Live Search is so much more accurrate than My Location, virtual keyboard is easier for me, and I can see everything without my glasses.
    However, I am back to Centro because I do not care for WM. It does take multiple swipes, wrong screens open by mistake, more taps for questions and closing apps. I could not get 3rd party apps to load (because I don't understand WinMo) so not as customizable for me as Palm.
    I am sticking with Centro. I would really like the IPhone, but cannot justify the added monthly/yearly/forever cost just for bigger screen. My Palm does everything I want, but will definitely look at the HD when it comes out. For the screen size, I could learn patience.
    For me, the perfect phone would be a Palm with huge touch screen, virtual keyboard (get rid of querty for screen space), and if new OS is faster, even better. BB is even trying this, so hopefully . . . next year.
    I know everyone that loves keyboard will squeal, but that is my two cents.
  14.    #14  
    Well it looks like my planning for the HD is out,,,,,. Maybe I should take a look at the iphone in general.

Is it true that the iphone's GPS wont track your location as you drive down the road?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Well it looks like my planning for the HD is out,,,,,. Maybe I should take a look at the iphone in general.

Is it true that the iphone's GPS wont track your location as you drive down the road?
    That is the farthest thing from the truth. I have had zero issues with my 3g and the GPS... I could walk and it follows me. Keep in mind I don't have any of the 3g issues other people seem to have as well. Here in Chicago the 3g signal is great.

As for the Touch HD, I'm sad that it is not coming to the US... I was really looking forward to it.
  16.    #16  
    Hey Bad Ash have u had any trouble running out of memory? I am not sure what the trouble is but I think the 3G iphone has only 128 megs of ram so occasionally progs such as Safari will close spontaneously???

Do you stream internet radio on your iphone?
    Hey Bad Ash have u had any trouble running out of memory? I am not sure what the trouble is but I think the 3G iphone has only 128 megs of ram so occasionally progs such as Safari will close spontaneously???

Do you stream internet radio on your iphone?
    Honestly it does not happen that often to me. I think the more windows you have open the more likely Safari is going to crash on you. Have you noticed that? Something to pay attention to when it crashes.
  18.    #18  
    I dont have and iphone. But with the anticipation of the "all screen/button light", HD I ended up spending several hours with the iphone to see if I could get along with a device like that and I thought it was a pretty nice device.
    I dont have and iphone. But with the anticipation of the "all screen/button light", HD I ended up spending several hours with the iphone to see if I could get along with a device like that and I thought it was a pretty nice device.
    It is great at the things it does do. Multimedia on it is untouched by any other device today. I really wish HTC would change their mind and bring us the Touch HD. But that won't happen...
  20.    #20  
    Hey bad ash are you able to update to the newer version of Google 2.2.0.20 maps on your iphone? Are you able to use Microsoft live search maps?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast