Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hello all! I wanted to begin a discussion that, because you are on this site, forum and ultimately reading this, I believe I am posing to an already biased audience. But let's give it a shot anyway shall we?

Ultimately I want to know everyone's impression of their user experience with Windows Mobile: Standard, Professional, Version: 2003, 5, 6, 6.1, all of them!

We buy these devices, we tweak them, we add software, manipulate their user interfaces, enjoy tons of form factors from handfuls of different manufacturers, and contest that they make our lives easier.

I am here to ask: "Is Windows Mobile a truly enjoyable experience for you?"

Think of your answer in terms of someone asking you if you like the car you own. You can reference the repairs it needs, the upkeep it requires, the driving experience, the applicability of the car to your ever-evolving tastes. Is the car worth the work it needs? Does the drive justify the cost of the car? Etc.

Let's talk objectively about Windows Mobile! There are many other platforms from which to choose: Palm OS, Android, Symbian, and the iPhone OS. Why did we pick what we did? What are our reasons for choosing WM.

Ready? Set? GO!

-Bill
    Coming from the Palm OS with the last device being a Centro, I prefer the Centro due to speed and the ability to really customize it. However, it lacks in the one area that I really want and that is multi-tasking. Of the 3 other WM phones (all touch screens), the 800W is the one I like the best.

Issues: alarms - hit and miss, mostly hit, but really does miss once in a while. I did not have that on the other devices, though yes, it happened on occasion.

No voice recorder for the phone. My phone is used extensively for work.

Once configured, the device has performed as I expected it to. Again not as fast as the POS, but it gets the job done. The applications sometimes take a bit of time to complete a task, but the job gets done (eventually). The joy wheel does hit, but I can live with it most of the time.

The bottom line: worth the change and cost to me. I was aware of the issues prior to purchasing the device.
    I am using the HTC Touch Pro at present, and the user experience is excellent, e.g when I plug the device into a computer a screen pops up asking if I want to activesync, use Internet Sharing or use Disk mode. If I dont chose anything then a few seconds later the last chosen action happens. This is all in an Applesque UI. Just excellent.

Surur
    What appeals to me in a phone these days is a great screen, easy UI, ability to tweak some but not much, having useful 3rd party apps that aren't controlled by apple, web browser, evdo rev a, touch screen, good kb (apple's is fine but i've not tried any other virtual ones but don't hear good things) and the ability to perform tasks quickly such as search without having to go through 20 button presses.

WM probably doesn't have the game capability of the iphone or as snappy a video/audio player. But these are minor as such stuff is only a mere time waster for me. EDIT: 7.0 could raise the bar though
    Last edited by cardfan; 09/17/2008 at 05:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billbeme View Post
    Hello all! I wanted to begin a discussion that, because you are on this site, forum and ultimately reading this, I believe I am posing to an already biased audience. But let's give it a shot anyway shall we?

Ultimately I want to know everyone's impression of their user experience with Windows Mobile: Standard, Professional, Version: 2003, 5, 6, 6.1, all of them!

We buy these devices, we tweak them, we add software, manipulate their user interfaces, enjoy tons of form factors from handfuls of different manufacturers, and contest that they make our lives easier.

I am here to ask: "Is Windows Mobile a truly enjoyable experience for you?"

Think of your answer in terms of someone asking you if you like the car you own. You can reference the repairs it needs, the upkeep it requires, the driving experience, the applicability of the car to your ever-evolving tastes. Is the car worth the work it needs? Does the drive justify the cost of the car? Etc.

Let's talk objectively about Windows Mobile! There are many other platforms from which to choose: Palm OS, Android, Symbian, and the iPhone OS. Why did we pick what we did? What are our reasons for choosing WM.

Ready? Set? GO!

-Bill

lots of questions... lol... overall I'm happy with windows mobile. I did not get on the bandwagon until winmob 5 with my treo 700wx. After the dec update (or that is when I applied it), I was sold on winmob as a phone. 6.1 is great as well... nice business phone. Standard I can't say much about as I've only played with it from time to time.

I'd say the biggest drawback of winmob is the lack of great hardware.

But winmob and a microsoft exchange account is a definite winner.

I doubt if I'll ever use anything else...

For the record I did not pick android since it is not out... palm os simply sucks (sorry, and I'm a palm fan from the mid-90s)... iphone is only on att... symbian I've not really thought about with sprint....

Far as tweaks, I think that is where people get in trouble. I know some with disagree, but each tweak I've tried made my winmob phone unstable.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    These are great responses! Very much what I was looking for.

Others' thoughts?

BBM
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I hope this doesn't get the discussion off track too much but I wanted to comment on how hardware manufacturers are influencing user experience with Windows Mobile.

It is much easier to better the user experience on a personal level through 3rd Party User Interface enhancements such as SPB Pocket Plus/Mobile Shell and other such programs. Third party Today-Screen applications like these make a user experience that is otherwise cumbersome due to specific hardware setups (i.e. sideways slider keyboard devices) and make a WM device much more user friendly.

However, it seems as though there are a few manufacturers who are acknowledging that WM (Pro specifically) is less than user friendly and taking it upon themselves to make their devices appeal not only because of what is "under the hood" but also "how the car drives."

As if it needs to be said, HTC is making great strides in bettering the user experience through their TouchFlo Today-Screen interface as well as their new, and attractive, TouchFlo3D interface. When software like this is married with excellent/cutting edge hardware the Windows Mobile user experience is altered drastically.

Another example of this, which is to a lesser degree and also a matter of debate, is the ::quote:: "Palm-Innovations" added to Palm's Treos running Windows Mobile. I have owned a Mogul, a Q9c, and a 700wx and there has been a very different user experience from each one. To continue my point, Palm took it upon themselves to integrate the phone directly into the Today Screen which has made all the difference. No longer is the Phone as much an application as the calculator. You don't have to single it out (as an application) and go from there. Instead the phone is within the screen used most frequently. When a device should be a phone first and a PDA second (even when it is a WM Pro device) this makes all the difference. I shouldn't have to search for my phone to make a call.

While there will always be additions and developments made by the user to their ultimate experience, I enjoy seeing hardware manufacturers take it upon themselves to ensure that their customers are enjoying a great user experience even when the operating system didn't leave Microsoft as a great U.E.

People discredit WM due to its interface. They need to remember what lies beneath is a capable and excellent mobile operating system. With a little work to the User Interface, great things can become of this Mobile OS. That is exactly what companies like Palm and more so HTC are doing. I am happy to see it. Thanks for putting a fresh coat of paint on a reliable old car.

-Bill
    Developers like standards, because stands allow applications to run across bunches of devices. Companies like HTC do not follow standards and that is where we all have problems with applications that work with this and do not work with that and so forth.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Developers like standards, because stands allow applications to run across bunches of devices. Companies like HTC do not follow standards and that is where we all have problems with applications that work with this and do not work with that and so forth
    Would you be willing to elaborate on this point? I'm afraid I don't follow.

Bill
    With an OS such as 6.1, it should operate the same across the board; however, it does not due to the changes you discuss and specifically done by HTC. A change in the standard here may affect a function elsewhere and fixing those changes can be time consuming, which equates to money.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Hmm. I was under the impression that they are not altering the Operating System itself as far as architecture is concerned. Instead they have installed an advanced User Interface that runs as a program, like any other program, in the today screen. Is this incorrect? If it is just a program, how has it altered the OS?
    Not a programmer, but HTC has been mentioned by more than one developer in their own support forums. Take a tour of www.pocketinformant.com's support forum.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I wasn't able to find what it is you intended. Would you be willing to explain, at length, the ramifications of HTC's (and perhaps Palm's) User Interface manipulation?

Thanks!
    Bill
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Windows Mobile Is Turning Into Palm Part 2
    Posted by Alex Kac - CEO/Founder, Jul 11 2008, 10:01 PM in Microsoft

One more thing I wanted to add. I'm not against devices having lots of great options for different consumers. What I am against is badly written device drivers and add-ons from companies like HTC that replace system components and then break a whole lot of stuff. I am for Microsoft having a heavier hand in making devices meet a standard. If WinMobile is not a standard, then what's the point.

When HTC wrote TouchFlo, they should have made sure it followed the same expandability rules of the Today screen - that it uses the default PIM - not a hardcoded PIM. Or the Default music app. Or - I can go on. Motorola did a good job with that on the Q9h with its keyboard.

Its not HTC really at fault (though the poor HTC Diamond reviews shows that while their hardware acumen is high their software ability is poor), but Microsoft's for not striving to make Windows Mobile a real standard.

I talked to a Verizon admin guy a while ago and he told me that one major reason (besides others that we are all aware of) that phones ship with stripped software features is that many times the software features are buggy and unreliable. He told me flat out that HTC was the worst at this he has ever seen. I'm not trying to point fingers at HTC here - but they do make the vast majority of these devices and they are the ones that I can point out more easily.

On a more positive note I hear through the grapevine that Microsoft hears the issues. I just don't know if they are willing to do anything about it.
    Side note: I hope it was okay to copy/paste and that I won't be getting a copyright-related phone call anytime soon.

Got it! Boy, on the surface of things HTC seemed innovative and progressive with the consumer in mind. It is unfortunate to see that their additions weren't as positive as we might have thought. (Stability issues, etc.)

I suppose you could look at Microsoft for not being a bit more active in that regard, but what can you say ::shrug::.

This all being said, how did Palm do incorporating their changes? You own a 800w. Does that suggest anything?

Also, if someone wants to buy a WimMob Pro device outside of a Palm they are running out of options outside of HTC aren't they. Frustrating I suppose.

Thanks!
    Bill