1.    #1  
    No, it really doesn't need to be moved since it applies to all sort of

But really..didn't apple simply take the phone part out and basically create a new market? What the heckie darn is keeping HTC and others from competing in the ipod touch category? Or basically coming out with smartphones (with wifi) that don't need to be activated and simply used the way the ipod touch is? More sales? Relatively easy to produce i'd imagine. Of course you could argue that one could already do this but its not really marketed is it?

Or think about the Kindle from amazon. Has built in evdo that doesn't require users to even see or hear about Sprint. It's free per month and part of the big price of the kindle i'd imagine. How about similar for an ipod touch like smartphone with no phone? EVDO rev a only..no voice.. If you have to charge for evdo, then do it cheaply.

Why do companies simply watch as apple walks all over em? Granted, the itunes store gives them leverage, but it wouldn't be monumental to team with an online marketplace that is similar.
    Technically the iPod Touch is an MP3 and multi-media player with an excellent screen and features, so it's the MP3 makers who need to compete with that particular item, not the phone makers. JMO.

Although it does now double as sort of a PDA. But I still don't know if phone makers need to compete with it. Maybe HP since they already make PDAs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    IMO, it's basically the iphone without the ability to make calls. What i'm trying to say is that the phone makers are already mp3 makers. Same as apple.
    Isn't this the new, emerging market that the (new, emerging) Zune should be competing in? Instead the Zunes are competing with the old iPods (classic and nano).
    Phone Diva....um......when did you make that your avatar?
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  6.    #6  
    why isn't zune bundled with windows mobile? I'd love to use the zune pass on a wm phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    IMO, it's basically the iphone without the ability to make calls. What i'm trying to say is that the phone makers are already mp3 makers. Same as apple.
    Sony Ericsson, Motorola and Nokia perhaps. Since they have released quite a few music/multi-media phones.

It's true the Touch is the iPhone without the ability to make calls. But I'm not really sure it's good for those 3 to compete with it. They each have their own merits. I do think Motorola really needs a new design team though, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    why isn't zune bundled with windows mobile? I'd love to use the zune pass on a wm phone.
    That would be a good idea on those starter smartphones like the Dash, Shadow and Pantech Duo. On serious business phones like the 800w and Pro, maybe and maybe not.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I've had the iPod touch for almost a year now and it's a very good MP3 player and it's got Wifi too. I just don't like the idea of Apple to develop in such a hurry the iPhone with the same look and feel that with the iPod touch. The only thing different with it is the ability to make calls and take pictures with it's so called camera.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    iPod Touch and Treo Pro for me is bascally a iPhone with a lot more.
    I grew tired of the iPhone being locked down.
    One simple thing I think is overlooked is iTunes. Everyone one says there are better mp3 players ..blah blah blah. But there is nothing better than iTunes.
    I have a WM Treo. I go to WMP AND I HAVE NOT ONE OPTION TO BUY MUSIC WIRELESSLY. You mean to tell me that all these years and no one else has figured that out?

Apple just has better vision than the rest.
    They may have cooler or equal devices, but nohing built around it. All the devices manufactures are hopfully figuring it out now. So the next batch of devices from everyone should be sweet.
    Media Monkey is WAY better than iTunes. Unless you have a Mac. But the Windows version has crashes, bugs, can't burn a CD on many PCs due to some bugs no one can seem to figure out except for a registry hack, etc. Apple does NOT build iTunes well for Windows!

No option to buy music wirelessly? Doesn't Amazon allow downloads? And why would anyone want all that DRM music from iTunes these days, after seeing how restrictive DRM really is? You "buy" a song but you don't even really own it! No thanks!

You are kidding right? The average person has no idea what DRM means. Simplicity is the key.
    No I'm NOT kidding! FAR from it!

And Windows iTunes 8 is no longer simple. Why don't you look at all the operation bugs and complaints on the Apple forums? I myself had a blue screen of death on first time install and sync, and Vista users had even more serious crashes. iTunes is turning into a POS with every release!

P.S. People find out REAL QUICK what DRM means when they find they can't move their music, are limited on the number of burns, limited on how many computers it'll play on, authorizing their computers just to play a damn song, etc. DRM can kiss my !

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    No option to buy music wirelessly? Doesn't Amazon allow downloads?
    Not in most of the world. Not everyone lives in the US!

Rumour has it the Amazon mp3 store is coming to the UK this month (can't be soon enough in my personal opinion) and I guess it will slowly spread as time passes. That doesn't help you if you're in an unsupported country and want some songs NOW of course. As to whether Amazon allows downloads direct to most mobile devices (which is what smileyboy meant I think), I can't comment (and can't currently test!) Android has a specific app for Amazon's music store, which seems like a real plus to the platform to me.
    The Amazon MP3 store isn't worldwide yet? Maybe it has something to do with licensing. Due to licensing, some overseas iTunes stores can be a little scarce from what I've read and I wonder if there's some problem with Amazon too.

This is why people use torrents. I don't, but I see why people do. The record companies are causing their piracy problems themselves by all their rules and restrictions!

Itunes is no 1 in online sales switches back and forth with Walmart..
    You complain.... I hear ya. Itunes maybe trash for you (works for me). But, somehow, someway its easier than the rest.
    I wonder how many people continue on with the "simplicity" of iTunes and its DRM simply because they have too much invested in their DRMed music to be able to switch. (Even if they wanted to.)
    Of course it's "easier" if all you have is iPods and one or two computers. But the problem comes in when you need to move your music, your hard drive crashes and the library needs to be rebuilt by jumping through hoops, iTunes installs wrong and loses the library, you have to worry about authorizing and deauthorizing new and old computers, etc.

And iTunes 8 sure hasn't been "easy"! The blue screen of death on Vista and other crashes was widespread. Plus it seems many are getting disc burning errors. There is something wrong with the way iTunes is handling the optical drive and registry. Plus the Windows version is a big peice of bloatware, especially for those who do NOT have an iPhone or Touch. They're still forced to install the device sync portion.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Hmm...there must be some issues with the iTunes 8 and Vista. I've been using the iTunes 8 now with my Windows XP OS. I am having no problem with it or the with the case of the blue screen of death or anything whatsoever.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    One simple thing I think is overlooked is iTunes. Everyone one says there are better mp3 players ..blah blah blah. But there is nothing better than iTunes. I have a WM Treo. I go to WMP AND I HAVE NOT ONE OPTION TO BUY MUSIC WIRELESSLY. You mean to tell me that all these years and no one else has figured that out?
    It's not an inbuilt feature of WMP, but if I wanted to buy music wirelessly, I could do so through Sprint Music Manager, which sucks, but only less so than iTunes. I assume that other carriers have similar music download services, but I could be wrong.

iTunes is fine if you confine your music experience entirely within Apple's ecosystem, using nothing but iPods/iPhones and OS X. The moment you need to step outside that box, you start running into iTunes' limitations: the bloatware it creates on Windows (six .exe files at 270MB), proprietary "smart" playlists instead of standard .m3u files, DRM, proprietary tagging (which really gets ugly with various artists compilations -- I've spent hours editing ID3 tags), lack of drag-n-drop, lack of folder monitoring, incompatibility with other MP3 players, and so on.

The average person has no idea what DRM means.
    If by "average person" you mean anyone who creates, manages and listens to his or her entire music collection though iTunes and iPods, then I agree. Otherwise people learn very quickly that some file formats are more portable than others. Some of them choose to wag the dog by limiting themselves to players that are compatible with iTunes rather than choosing a music manager that support the widest range of PMPs on the market, like Media Monkey or even WMP.

iTunes' philosophy is to take good care of anything either purchased through ITMS or ripped with iTunes, but treat with laissez-faire contempt any music files on your hard drive created or acquired through other means, legal or otherwise.

I have an iPod Touch, but find myself using it more as wifi browser than as a PMP. I have an el cheapo Creative Zen Stone 2GB player on my keychain that delivers the goods: it charges in minutes, supports drag-n-drop, takes .m3u playlists, has a screen for navigation (unlike the Shuffle), has an FM tuner and a speaker (unlike my first-gen 16GB iTouch).

Unfortunately, Creative's would-be iPod Touch rival, the Zen X-Fi, has no browser despite having wifi. Being able to wirelessly purchase music on that device, not to mention surf the web, would be incredible. So the OP's point about the need for an iPod Touch alternative is sorely felt here.

But it would take a heavy hitter on the level of Amazon to leverage a deal for an EVDO-only portable internet device. I think the only reason Sprint agreed to support the Kindle was because of the small files sizes involved with e-books. If people started using more bandwidth (music downloads), Sprint would probably want a quid pro quo in the form of individual customer contracts.