1.    #1  
    Read it for yourself. Symbian is still number one though and Apple is a little further down on the list. Palm OS .

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/14/s...-windows-mobi/
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Read it for yourself. Symbian is still number one though and Apple is a little further down on the list. Palm OS .

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/14/s...-windows-mobi/
    Q3 will be interesting. WM will almost certainly be down to fourth, probably with less than 10% of the market. Engadget is right IMO - MS needs WM7 asap.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I am not surprised by RIM's gain over WM. My friend who used to own at&t Tilt was forced to switch to BB because the IT dept won't support WM devices anymore.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  4.    #4  
    I still need WM to get serious business done. Too bad if they sink even lower. But I do like RIM also.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Bless RIM, but it just a fact that the Palm OS and Windows OS do the same and more. In email, I get my company email faster that those running BBs and I can handle/edit attachments and immediately return them. Bunches of other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Bless RIM, but it just a fact that the Palm OS and Windows OS do the same and more. In email, I get my company email faster that those running BBs and I can handle/edit attachments and immediately return them. Bunches of other things.
    Faster then instantaneous? I'm running my BB through AT&T's BIS and get all my IMAP based email instantaneously and in HTML format. Also anyone running BB OS 4.5 or higher has Documents to Go installed, so I can handle/edit attachments as well. Maybe you should try the bunches of other things, because the 2 you mentioned don't wash. Palm OS is a dinosaur and WM is just plain horrible.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Actually, IMAP mail on a Blackberry is a GIGANTIC leap backwords...

How about... IMAP folders...??

Oh wait... and updated read status from my desktop....???

Wait.... old emails on my handheld????

Oh, that's right... don't try and do THAT on a Blackberry.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    I really do not like arguing when there is no reason to. My personal experience with BBs is zero; my wife has had 2 and I was never able to become excited by them. Never. The email was ok, but let me tell you, when you have an application like ChatterEmail and a really good IMAP provider, you got rocking email.

The company I work for is a BB shop; I am the only one that has a Treo 800W - and with FlexMail and Everyone.net, I AM GETTING EMAIL BEFORE THEY DO. No kidding. Faster and I can do more with that email then the can. No kidding.

Now that BB has DTG with it, the email is better, but it ain't there just yet and it also goes to show how important 3rd party software is in the handle held area.

So please, no temper. It does not impress anyone.
    As for Palm OS being a dinosaur - sure, but it works and is for the most part stable. The only reason I left the Centro for the 800W is multi-tasking. It was not for the email, the numerous applications, and performance. Multi-tasking only.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    The Windows OS is a great decision made by RIM and I can tell they're going to be making better smartphones now that Windows is supporting them. But I wish Windows could have a taskbar just like that of the Symbian so you wouldn't exit the current application to move to another application.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
  11.    #11  
    Did you say that RIM is going to use WM??

That's not what that article said. Plus I don't think RIM would do that since they still have a corporate gold mine with their own OS.

It's possible I'm misreading your post, but that's what it sounds like.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/30/2008 at 04:21 PM.

I don't think RIM's success has much to do with any intrinsic technological superiority over POS or WM. It's just that most consumers don't care about smartphones. BBs are optimized for the two non-voice features that matter most to consumers: email and text messaging. Personally, I'd rather use IMAP on a server I can contact directly when things go down than rely on a centralized Network Operations Center (NOC); but it doesn't matter what I think. The NOC simplifies and streamlines things, and more robust smartphones give users, from an IT perspective, enough rope to hang themselves. The average consumer just doesn't care that you can find a Bittorrent client for the Treo Pro, or that A2DP support is built in. RIM ignores the long tail of geek bragging rights and focuses more robust communication interfaces.