1.    #1  
    Here's another set of variables for potential 505 owners to consider, Mexican made units with different screen characteristics than their US and Hungarian bretheren. O Handspring Where Art Thou?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Where do you think Handspring makes them?

Handspring has the same problem as the thread you posted. I had to replace my new Edge after a couple hours of using it because the springboard slot starting having problems (fatal errors when inserting a module). So I get the replacement Edge from Handspring and the screens are different color. The old one had more gray to it. Also when viewing images (Avantgo, fireviewer) the images were very light and almost not viewable. The new unit was a darker gray and almost a tint of green like the Visor DLX I had. But the images were crisp and easier to see.

Both units were made in Mexico but obviously had different screens. Personally, I don't feel that is right. How about that guy who goes and buys a brand new Edge and is disappointed because the screen clarity isn't that good. He'll never know that he had an Edge from a batch using the lighter and inferior screen. Handspring needs to improve upon their own QA.
  3.    #3  
    Its very frustrating. Palm states officially that all 505s use the same components, but the first Hungarian units used screens from LG, and the US units use screens built, ironically, by Sony. I wish they would be up front about these things instead of sending out mgmt-approved, e-mail boilerplate when you inquire about it.
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    Its very frustrating. Palm states officially that all 505s use the same components, but the first Hungarian units used screens from LG, and the US units use screens built, ironically, by Sony. I wish they would be up front about these things instead of sending out mgmt-approved, e-mail boilerplate when you inquire about it.
    I'm sure all computer companies do it, it's just been a problem lately with Palms and Handsprings.
    I just called Palm Customer Service, and they are gonna ship me a replacement for my (otherwise perfect) m505. I told them my screen is markedly darker than the ones I see in stores, and that I would like to exchange it for one with a better screen.

After some discussion at his end, the guy said they would do it. Of course I'll probably get stuck with a lamer screen than the one I already have, but mine is Hungarian, and hopefully the next one will be USA/Mexican made...

I'll keep you all posted.
  6.    #6  
    dup
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by patwoods
    I just called Palm Customer Service, and they are gonna ship me a replacement for my (otherwise perfect) m505. I told them my screen is markedly darker than the ones I see in stores, and that I would like to exchange it for one with a better screen.

After some discussion at his end, the guy said they would do it. Of course I'll probably get stuck with a lamer screen than the one I already have, but mine is Hungarian, and hopefully the next one will be USA/Mexican made...

I'll keep you all posted.
    Good job! What did you have to say to get them to admit the discrepency?
  8.    #8  
    I just talked to a very sweet and apologetic rep at Palm Tech support who told me all 505s are the same, the "screws are just screwed in different coutries". Appropriate choice of words....

She went away to talk to some tech head, returned and said she could not exchange a properly functioning unit. <insert expletives here>

Let's join hands and sing:

"Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, its back to Dell you go,
    for all these bucks your screen doth suck Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho,
    Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho...."
    Are you going to get another m505?

I really didn't think my screen was (as I mentioned), 'markedly darker', but it definitely was dimmer than some store display models.

I even told the guy that I didn't think there was anything wrong with the unit, just that I wanted to get a brighter screen since my eyes aren't getting any better... that was about the gist of it.

He spouted the usual, "variations from batch to batch of LCD lots" stuff, and I countered with something to the effect that I just wanted to get a better screen, and otherwise the machine is perfect. I have no doubt mine will be shipped right out to someone as a refurb, as it has an OK, just not spectacular, screen.

The fact that he took the return based on the fact that there is not an issue with anything but the screen leads me to believe that there are better screens in later batches.....

Then again, maybe it's all subjective. We'll see. I should get mine Friday or Monday here.
  10.    #10  
    Are you going to get another m505?
    Yep. I'm going to Staples and get a US model that they have on record as shipped to them after, say June 15. Hopefully they'll price match it down to the $370 range. What number did you call by the way?
    888-956-PALM
    wow. I just got my replacement palm (less than 24 hours, that's amazing!)

This one is Mexican made, and it is the same quality construction as the Hungarian one.

The screen is definitely brighter, under my harsh office lights it doesn't look like much, but in the dark you can definitely tell it is slightly brighter.

All in all, I am glad I took the gamble. At least it is a little better on the eyes than before.
  13.    #13  
    wow. I just got my replacement palm (less than 24 hours, that's amazing!)

This one is Mexican made, and it is the same quality construction as the Hungarian one.

The screen is definitely brighter, under my harsh office lights it doesn't look like much, but in the dark you can definitely tell it is slightly brighter.

All in all, I am glad I took the gamble. At least it is a little better on the eyes than before.
    They must have billed you for it while your original unit is in transit.
    they billed me $25. I need to ship the other one back (their dime) within 14 days or they bill the card for it... I think the $25 is refunded at that point also.
  15.    #15  
    Update. The operations manager for a Staples here in GA says that she has sold 505s made in Taiwan as well.
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    Update. The operations manager for a Staples here in GA says that she has sold 505s made in Taiwan as well.

Its a small world after all eh
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by mikedemo

Its a small world after all eh
    LOL!! You got that right MD! Not small enough for PDA freaks like me. I'd like to put all those things in a room and turn all the $#@*! frontlights on at once..

Oh look, there's Old Man Ed slappin' 505s together across the street....

So how's your portable mp3-playin' Trinitron these days?