Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    any review and comparison? urgent help need! thanks.
    Depends on what you want/need...
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasper23 View Post
    any review and comparison? urgent help need! thanks.
    Dieter Bohn's review is the only review of the Pro I've seen that gives more than a passing mention of the Bold, if even that. Haven't seen any real head-to-head comparisons yet, though that may be due to the release schedules--remember, the Pro is just now available for pre-order, and the Bold is still in the "coming soon" stage.

I briefly saw a Bold at a RIM event here in DC a month or so ago, and while the screen was great, I preferred the Curve's keyboard. Then again, I prefer
    a Treo keyboard to both and for various other reasons I'm not buying either BB anyway.

My advice--read as many reviews/previews as you can of both, apply salt as needed (a grain, a pinch, a truckload... always a judgment call) and decide which is the better fit for you.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    One of my buddies has had his Bold for a couple of weeks now and I finally had play with it yesterday. The Bold has been available in the UK for a little bit now.

With "real world" usage, Tim finds the Bold has the expected BlackBerry "just works" to it. There are some quirks with it, but for the most part, it's a BlackBerry. Call quality isn't brilliant, the battery goes for two days of fairly hard use, email just works and the screen is excellent.

My impression of the Bold is that the screen is superb but the rest of it is... well... meh. Not bad, but a bit, erm, BlackBerry-ish. And that is perhaps the point of it...

I like BlackBerry devices for the fact that they just... work. I love my PalmOS Treos for their touchscreen and cute simplicity of the operating system. I have yet to fall in love with a Windows Mobile device but I have not yet fondled, err, sorry, handled the Treo Pro, which looks superb.

What I will add with the Bold is that whilst is looks more professional than my Treo 680, it also looks slightly out of proportion - not that this is any reason why not to pick one up...
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Go for the Bold . The fact that Blackberry captured more than 50 percent of the U.S. smartphone market in the second quarter is not without a reason. The Bold is simply one of the best mobile computing devices you can get today. Although Treo Pro has the touch screen advantage, that advantage will likely to disappear after the launch of the Blackberry Thunder.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Okay, sorry to steal your thunder (groan!) but if the user wants a touchscreen, going for the Bold now isn't going to help… far better to get neither and wait for the new BlackBerry?
    I'm sorry, but going for a blackberry because of its market share (a result of marketing) is dumb. The treo just works too.

This is all about which OS you want to run and how you run it. Both (treo pro and bb) will get the job done.

I've heard rumors the touch thing with Thunder is pretty clunky. Truth is, neither OS is well made for it but WM could raise that bar with WM7.

HTC did a great job (i'm hearing) with its touch pro and diamond however. Most of the problems users encountered have been corrected with the sprint version. If you want to touch, you'll get plenty of touching in on these two. Nice screen. Biggest con IMO is the virtual kb on the diamond. Or having to slide out the kb on the pro. Palm and BB have the one handedness and 'getting work done quick" aspect down.

I don't think there's ever been a better time for WM. Many choices are popping up. I'll say again though, sprint can't market for anything. The lone review (negative) was made by someone's secretary at WSJ. There's practically no hype for these two upcoming devices that could literally lift up sprint.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    If Treo is so good, why hasn't it taking more market shares away from BB? Personally I like the Treo better for entertainment, browsing Internet. When it comes to productivity many people choose BB. I am sure the next Treo with the new Linux OS will be a big hit. But the Treo Pro is just something they want to slot in to prevent furthur decline of their market share before they have something really new to be announced.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    1. Businesses like to support phones that are "*****" proof. No offense meant to anyone. It's just that BB works out of the box without a lot of tweaking, unlike many Treos(judging from posts here).

2. Treos used to have a high return or service request rate. I'm not sure of the newer ones.

3. RIM did with the BB Pearl and Curve what Palm did to the Centro, they mainstreamed them. They made them cute and still functional, BEFORE Palm came out with the Centro.

That is why RIM has more market share IMO. I think Treos are good, but they lacked innovation for too long and did not keep up with trends.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    im not a expert in all this but palm was the market leader. However a lack of innovation (no 3g, wifi, old ugly ui etc) allowed palms competitors to catch up. RIM gained marketshare because Blackberry's had one thing that noone else had at the time, push email. Now RIM's where palm was, on top with apple and the gang chewing on there ankles.

I personally would choose the treo pro because I love front facing qwerty's with a touchscreen. I also think windows mobile has more and better software than blackberry's. And with WM7 and palm os II coming out soon blackberry's ugly "scroll thru 30 icons to find your app" ui makes it even less appealing to me.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    You're absolutely right about the BlackBerry being ***** proof, as they are; we love them at the office simply because we can give somebody who is otherwise too important to learn all that techie stuff (like plugging it in to charge or sync from time to time) and it just works with a charge every few days.

There is a dose of sarcasm in the above, but I've just had to sort somebody's hands free kit out as it wasn't charging their BlackBerry, but their last car kit did. This one is a wireless Bluetooth kit. Go figure where my patience might be today… ;-)

Mind you and the above all written, now that BlackBerry devices are decent 'phones, some users complain about battery life not being so good. You can't please some people! We just encourage our users to treat the Pearl as a mobile with email, and of course mobiles need recharging every few days. In that tiny respect, the Pearl is a victim of its own success whereas the Curve is very much a BlackBerry with a (good in my experience) 'phone - most of our 8300 Curve users give it a charge once a week even if it doesn't need it...

My personal choice has been a PalmOS Trēo, which needed tinkering to get it to work as well as the Curve I used before. We've tried a variety of Windows Mobile devices but have found them wanting for reasons known only to the ICT manager. Indeedy, my 680 isn't an officially supported device at the office.
    it seems without corporate IT official support, treo pro will NOT be effective in business environment, unless you have one "*****-proof" BB which everyone has in hand.
    But Windows Mobile is also popular with businesses. If they rely on Exchange, they MAY support it. I say ask your IT department before buying, just to be sure.

I work by myself so I don't have the same restrictions others may have. This is the first Treo that can get me to go back to Palm. But the Bold is a very nice option too, now that they finally got GSM 3G and wifi in one stylish package. The refreshed interface is nice too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I'd like to try the Bold head to head with the Pro...

But you're right - from a UK perspective, almost all ICT managers lost interest in PalmOS five or six years ago as a work device. My 680 plus Chatteremail+ is gradually turning the tide in my office... :-)

At the office we rolled our a number of Windows Mobile 5 devices that offered more than the BlackBerry devices, but feedback was, "it's nice and all, but it doesn't always work" and "my handset keeps on crashing." BlackBerry offered the line of least resistance.

Providing the Bold doesn't shoot itself in the foot, or the new Curve replacement, they could be onto a winner...
    I'd go with the Pro, just because I like windows mobile. Plus that phone is sexy as hell!
    The Bold has been delayed yet again with finger pointing going on between AT&T and RIM... it is having the similar issues as the iPhone 3g regarding 3g... Honestly RIM or AT&T, whoever is at fault has dropped the ball with the Bold. It's already old news as far as I'm concerned. New BB Curve is right around the corner as well as the Storm/Thunder...

Buy the Treo Pro. You can do so much more with it than any BB. Of course that's if you are into doing a lot of tweaking.
    i think the hardware will sort of cancel each other out, and it will really depend on your experience with the OS that comes wiht the phone. Take advantage of trial periods available out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    The Bold has been delayed yet again with finger pointing going on between AT&T and RIM... it is having the similar issues as the iPhone 3g regarding 3g... Honestly RIM or AT&T, whoever is at fault has dropped the ball with the Bold. It's already old news as far as I'm concerned. New BB Curve is right around the corner as well as the Storm/Thunder...

Buy the Treo Pro. You can do so much more with it than any BB. Of course that's if you are into doing a lot of tweaking.
    You could get an unlocked Bold if you have the money or can't wait. They were released just fine in Canada. I point the finger at AT&T. Their network is to blame. I've had too many outages.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You could get an unlocked Bold if you have the money or can't wait. They were released just fine in Canada. I point the finger at AT&T. Their network is to blame. I've had too many outages.
    Very true, but with all of it's issues on AT&T's network. [See Crackberry, Kevin had nothing but issues when in New York, sorry don't have link.] There is no chance I would risk it.
    Oh yeah, I've heard about NYC having bad 3G.

BTW, the Pro could have the same problem on AT&T. It's not the phones, but the network. I had neighborhood specific outages a few weeks ago. One block worked, another one didn't and I DON'T believe it was the phone because these outages in my case are always on the weekend. And the phones work fine again on Mondays through Fridays. And it's crazy for them to all act up in the same neighborhood at the same time. Weird.

The tower for this area must be screwed up due to heavy weekend usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast