1.    #1  
    Wee. Time to learn a new OS.
  2. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Welcome to the Blackberry world man!
    What was your biggest gripe with the Instinct?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    Huge list.

I've posted it a ton of different places and don't feel like repeating so I'll just summarize.

The phone is unstable (crashes a lot, corrupts its own file system) and most of the advertised features simply don't work or are so crippled they are useless (email, calendar, notes, bookmarks, web). Tons of bugs and lag also (text entry lag, menus).
    blackberrys are cool
    IS it true At&T requires signup for full data plan to tether device as modem. If so how to avoid this?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I'm a Blackberry user. I'm happy with it, but it feels kind of plain vanilla. Email functionality is AWESOME, and I like the brightness of the screen, but the apps have been disappointing.
  8.    #8  
    What kind of apps are you looking for? Games, yeah I would say is disappointing compared to say WM. There are good media player apps, productivity, secure data storage, chat clients, navigation.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1125 View Post
    I'm a Blackberry user. I'm happy with it, but it feels kind of plain vanilla. Email functionality is AWESOME, and I like the brightness of the screen, but the apps have been disappointing.
    Actually, the email functionality is a HUGE step backwards from ChatterEmail if you use IMAP....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Work gave me a blackberry pearl and I can't stand the phone, I will say that the email is great but the rest of the phone sucks. The browser is awful. I will say that this little phone has a GREAT battery, amazing that this phone pushes all the time and I get at least 50 calls a day, and the battery will last 4 or 5 days. Why don't other phones copy the battery.
    I had the pearl but needed a bigger screen. That and I love having the bigger screen for the gps.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

12. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Actually, the email functionality is a HUGE step backwards from ChatterEmail if you use IMAP....
    In what way? If you have the newest BB OS (4.5+) then you have full HTML email.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    In what way? If you have the newest BB OS (4.5+) then you have full HTML email.
    I wanted to like the BB. In fact, I kept it for the FULL 30 day trial and returned it on the last day that I could. I'll probably end up with one eventually since Palm OS is dying a slow death, but there are some SEVERE limitations of the IMAP email on the BB.

Let me give you a detailed example...

I am a small business owner that does not run an Exchange server, as a result, I was running BIS on my 8330 Curve. I have multiple email addresses for my business, completely separate inboxes to sort mail for myself and my business partner. Six inboxes as of today.

Here's the problem.
    1. With BIS, the BB only pushes NEW mail. There is NO way to get old mail unless you forward it to the device. So if there is an important email in my inbox, forget about retrieving it unless you've got access to a computer. With BES, this is possible, but then again... you have to have BES & Exchange.
    2. IMAP folders... You have NO access to them. Can't file a message, can't access a message, can't use them at all. I use them as a filing system for old emails to organize my business and for reference. That's a deal breaker for me.
    3. OS 4.5 does solve the HTML issue, but it's still not available on ANY major provider as a certified upgrade. You're using it essentially as a hack.
    4. Signatures are NOT provided on the device. They are added as you send the email and it passes through BB's servers. There are email chains that I will often remove the signature once it is attached once. My signature is eight lines long and contains important information... they only need to see it once.
    5. When you send a new email from the BB, you are able to select the From: address from any email set up on the device. If you REPLY, you cannot. I often will reply to an email sent to our "Service" email with my personal business account. With Chatter, this is possible... with BB, this is not.
    6. Read once capability. In Chatter, if I read an email on the Treo, it is marked read on the desktop. BB does this also. If I reply to an email on my Treo, it marks it as replied to on my desktop... BB does not. If I do ANYTHING TO MY EMAIL USING MY DESKTOP PROGRAM, BB DOES NOT UPDATE!!! I end up doubling my efforts with email because most work that is done on the BB, I have to repeat on my desktop. That is a GIGANTIC waste of time.

For me, the true IMAP combatability is the killer. I would expect that many small business owners fall into the same boat. For some people, it works. For me it did not. I'm not going to pay an extra $30 a month for capabilities that are less than I currently have.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    You are absolutely correct about the BIS/IMAP issue. A Centro with Chattermail is a much better email device if you don't have BES. You also have access to Third Party PIM software such as Keysuite.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I think papped meant the 8300 BB Curve not the 8330. Anyways, good luck with your new Blackberry, have fun and explore its great features.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com