Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    that likes the old traditional Treo (650, 700P) form factor?

I've never been one that had to have the smallest, thinnest form factor. The reason I went away from the Treo to the original iPhone was because the 700P was very unstable in the beginning, and software updates were slow to arrive.
    Lock and Load!
    You might be the only one.... I don't like large devices nor super small devices either.

Once the extended battery for the 800w is available, I guess my 800 will have the size of the 700... well, maybe not, but the 800 will be a bit larger....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Count me out - those big, clunky phones were only bearable when they were the only choice.
    I like my 700p. The antennae makes it easier to get out of the holster.
    Bottom line i guess, it's nice to have choice. Even if that choice is likely to disappear in the future as i imagine palm is staying with the treo pro form factor in that line.

I'm with the OP in the sense that i'm kinda tired of prevailing attitudes on various reviews and blogs. Thin is in, it must look shiny, looks matter over anything else, it has to have every feature even if done poorly, preferably something other than WM which is not "in", touch is good, screen must be flushed, must have 3.5 jack, it mustn't be a brick..no wait, it's screen should be bigger ...etc.

Anyways, hope you get the point. Somehow when we weren't looking, certain things in a business phone became essential due to non pro phones like the iphone. Me thinks what the non pro reviewers and bloggers see in phones may not be congruent with what a company would look for in a phone or heavy business users.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I suppose if you have unfeasibly large hands... a larger phone is more suited to you. The aerial is kind of handy though.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post

I've never been one that had to have the smallest, thinnest form factor.
    You really are brave, to come out like this among the thin-flip-slider-rotate crowd. I had posted a similar rhetorical question in one of the threads here and a really smart, handsome, intelligent, humorous guy replied that yes, it was so.

I like the 600, 650, 680, 750 form factor. Nice and handy. If technology makes things smaller, it may be better to add more features or functionality to the device. (at the least, increase the battery life).

Thinner devices cost less to manufacture (esp. the battery). And in most cases are priced at a premium (RAZR?)

Presently, Palm does offer a choice to customers - Centro/ 500 (thinner) v/s 680/ 750 (larger).
    Last edited by GreenHex; 08/29/2008 at 10:53 PM.

I've never been one that had to have the smallest, thinnest form factor. The reason I went away from the Treo to the original iPhone was because the 700P was very unstable in the beginning, and software updates were slow to arrive.
    Because of the keyboard, no--I'm there too. My younger brother has the Centro, which I kind of like, but the keys are too small.

Anyway, I do enjoy the form factor for the most part.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    I've been on a centro, from a 700wx, for several months now and I had to power on the 700 to get some info off of it. It seemed like the keyboard was huge ;D However, with the smaller size of the centro, it really is the best IMO. I am personally waiting for foldable displays (although NOT holding my breath since it'll be years but short of that, I want small and need a keyboard - really do not like the onscreen keyboards at all... Centro has fit the bill nicely.
    Perry, have you scratched the screen yet?

You're not the only one. I don't miss the antenna, at all, but I consider my 755p to have the same form factor and I love the look of it. Although I didn't think the 800w was so bad (it was kinda close to the classic ff) I would've preferred to see the chrome look around the screen, still.

I also don't care about having the ____est anything, really. I just want it to suit my needs. If they can make it thinner, and thus easier to store, that's great - as long as I don't have to sacrifice too much (i.e. Centro's and battery life).

But if they had to make a change, dayum, that 850's lookin' good! (Plus a 1500 mAH battery? Nice.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    No. I never liked the idea of a phone as wearable. I do not like using a holster or other case. I never liked the message that a phone hanging on some guy's side left. No, I have always liked a phone that I could put in a pocket. I had a Treo 650 for three years, stuffed it into pockets and beat it to death. I liked that device. As it lie on its deathbead I whispered into its earpiece, "its been nice knowing you pal but I'm going to replace you with something smaller, faster and cheaper." I picked up a Blackjack II and have not looked back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalboy View Post
    No. I never liked the idea of a phone as wearable. I do not like using a holster or other case. I never liked the message that a phone hanging on some guy's side left.
    Like what?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I LOVE my Treo650. It works great. I use the antenna as a handle to get it out of my purse. :-)

I really like the POS, so I tried the Centro but it was a little too small.

I am currently using a BB Curve for work and the physical device is nice, but I miss the touchscreen and the programs from my Treo like Datebk, HappyDays, Koolsounds, Takephone, etc.

I'm hoping the device that comes out next year will be the one I want to upgrade to.
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    No, you're not the only one who likes the old form factor. I went from a Centro to a 755p cause the centro was just too dang small for me. I always felt like I was gonna break it & the keyboard gave me a hand cramp. I kinda miss my 700p's antenna too!

I don't like phones that are too thin. I feel like I'm gonna snap them in half. Kinda like a husky guy dating a skinny girl.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    I was admiring my 755p, today. Smart-lookin' smartphone.
    i'm with you on that. I own an iphone 3g. I like the screen, its ease of use, browser, etc.

But, it's certainly not the looks i like. People keep harping how "sexy and thin" it is. I don't know about others, but this is something i only tolerate.. It's poor to talk on too long.

I may have an eye on the Touch Pro in Oct from Sprint which seems to have a better form factor for me personally if the phone can perform to my liking.
    the idea of having to use a belt pouch or the like so not to carry a brick around in your pockets is not for me. hec, i've recently changed over to a Blackberry Curve (AT&T) and i can still carry it comfortably in my dress shirt pocket if need be. try doing that with an older Treo.

less heavy and less bulky is my preference, even if i have to give up something to get it. fortunately for me, i can, as my phone only needs to do so much.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I would take an iPhone if it could do everything like my centro. Yes. I go to teh applestore regularly and each time the safari browser has reset. centro is stable bwahaha. I'd stay if palm put a full length centro flush screen atop and centro keyboard in a drawer.
    I dont care if the phone is big because I like a big screen but I want it to be as this as possible,,,,,,, to a degree. I have average sized hands and can type on a centro with no trouble. What drives me nuts is when the phone is big for no dadgum reason. Look at this thing. Its has wasted real estate, (big for no good reason). They could have fit a whole KB at the bottom and I would have finally had a good bar phone with 2.8 inch screen and a portrait qwerty KB.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast