1.    #1  
    I would love to see a very detailed comparison on all of these phones (size, hardware, speed, etc.).

I am still using the 750 and I was on the verge of purchasing a new phone (HTC Diamond, iPhone 3G, or Blackberry Bold) but I am really liking how the Treo Pro looks. I've been with Treo for 3 years (650 then 750) and I'm hoping the Treo Pro is as good or better than the following competition:

- the Treo Pro
    - the Treo 750
    - the Treo 800w
    - the Centro
    - the iPhone 3G
    - the BlackBerry Bold
    - the AT&T Tilt
    - the HTC Diamond
    - the Motorola Q9h
    - the HTC Dream
    - Any other devices you would like to add in...

Can anyone help me out with a head to head on all of these devices ?
    Last edited by Tha Pope; 08/23/2008 at 10:56 AM.
    What you're asking would take a month of Sundays to do. And ultimately would amount to a matter of personal choice because no phone is right for everyone.

I suggest reading as many reviews as you can on each of the phones (especially hands-on reviews--not reviews based on he said, she said stuff).

If you are looking for recommendations you'll get them for every phone, because like I said, each phone will appeal to different people. In the end, it all comes down to what you personally are looking for in a smartphone. Once you know that, you'll have no trouble making up your mind.

Me? I'm going for the HTC Touch Diamond. It's got what I want, in the form factor I want. Some will agree and others won't. That's fine. Your mileage will vary.

Good luck on your phone search.
  3.    #3  
    I'm actually just interested in looking at the actual specs for the phones (ie processors, screen resolutions, etc.)

I personally like having a touch screen phone and I am not sure if I would miss the front facing keyboard (I have a feeling I would).

I use my phone mostly for checking emails and using the scheduling and reminders (which has worked well with WM6) and occasionally browsing the web.

For me, spending approx $500 for a phone is a huge investment and I just want to make the most informed decision on which one I go with as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Pope View Post
    I'm actually just interested in looking at the actual specs for the phones (ie processors, screen resolutions, etc.)
    Try the pda database.
    http://pdadb.net/

Surur
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I would love to see a very detailed comparison on all of these phones (size, hardware, speed, etc.).

I am still using the 750 and I was on the verge of purchasing a new phone (HTC Diamond, iPhone 3G, or Blackberry Bold) but I am really liking how the Treo Pro looks. I've been with Treo for 3 years (650 then 750) and I'm hoping the Treo Pro is as good or better than the following competition:

- the Treo Pro
    - the Treo 750
    - the Treo 800w
    - the Centro
    - the iPhone 3G
    - the BlackBerry Bold
    - the AT&T Tilt
    - the HTC Diamond
    - the Motorola Q9h
    - the HTC Dream

i will also add sony xperia. i dont know if it will make it to states? if it is about same price as treo pro or touch pro, i guess i will go for xperia

- the Treo Pro
    - the Treo 750
    - the Treo 800w
    - the Centro
    - the iPhone 3G
    - the BlackBerry Bold
    - the AT&T Tilt
    - the HTC Diamond
    - the Motorola Q9h
    - the HTC Dream

That list is all over the place... you will need to narrow it down to two or three devices.

I'm currently doing research on the moto q9h and Treo 800w.

Moto does not have a touchscreen, but I don't think that will be a big deal. The moto also has a large battery. Moto has been out for a while... it is fairly stable, from what I've read (at least the sprint version). Moto is $99...

The 800w has had reports of the phone not ringing, which would be a disaster for some. In addition, if you use the 800w, you will need an extra battery (or larger battery - which costs extra. 800w is new but I think stable... but it seems that you mostly read how "terrible" the device is from many people on this forum with 0 to 100 posts (I wonder if they even have the device or know how to use it or used some hacks and got stuck). 800w is $250.

In other words, with just two devices there are a lot of going back and forth.... you need to narrow that list down through your own research. Start here: http://www.google.com
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Provide me a weighted order of preference for the following factors and I'll tell you which phone to buy (linear weighting between 1 and 10):

Price
    Size
    Weight
    Bluetooth profile: Headset
    Bluetooth profile: A2DP
    Bluetooth profile: File exchange
    Bluetooth profile: DUN
    Bluetooth profile: Remote control
    wi-fi
    entertainment: Music
    entertainment: Videos
    entertainment: Streaming
    entertainment: eBooks
    Apps: Games
    Apps: Utilities
    Apps: Productivity
    Apps: Business
    Wireless provider: T-Mobile
    Wireless provider: AT&T
    Wireless provider: Verizon
    Wireless provider: Sprint
    Camera: Stills
    Camera: Video
    Camera Resolution
    Camera: Flash
    Connectors: Proprietary
    Connectors: USB
    Battery life
    Screen size
    Screen resolution
    Screen: brightness
    Sound: Call reception
    Sound: Call transmission
    Sound: Speakerphone
    Sound: Media playback
    Sound: Headset
    Headset: 3.5mm
    Headset: 2.5mm
    Data plan: Cost
    Data plan: Amount of data
    Data plan: broadband
    Cell frequencies: Quad band
    Cell frequencies: Tri-band
    Cell frequencies: Dual band

That should do it. Once you figure out how each of these items are scored, by importance, scale of 0-10, I'll tell you which phone to get.
    My personal opinion is that looking at hardware specs can be useful but hardware is just a means to an end and far from the whole story. Why not try thinking about what you want to do rather than MHz, pixels and mm?

II use my phone mostly for checking emails and using the scheduling and reminders (which has worked well with WM6) and occasionally browsing the web.
    Doesn't that argue that you should just keep the 750? Or do you want a bigger, higher-res screen for web browsing? To put it another way, are you happy with the 750 or do you want a new phone that does things the 750 doesn't or does things it does but does them better? If so, what are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That should do it. Once you figure out how each of these items are scored, by importance, scale of 0-10, I'll tell you which phone to get.
    If you take that approach (which I think is slightly crazy) shouldn't you include everything? 3G, storage capacity and GPS are at best rather buried in the list.
    Last edited by marcol; 08/24/2008 at 12:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    If you take that approach (which I think is slightly crazy) shouldn't you include everything? 3G, storage capacity and GPS are at best rather buried in the list.
    Gosh Marcol, you're absolutely right. What's a couple more dimensions in the ol' Auto-decider 3000 anyway?

The Auto-decider 3000: It thinks, so you don't have to!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I'm guessing Kupe was being a bit "tongue in cheek" with his list, but I like it! It really does help you think about what you may be missing when you start to compare phones.
    There are a number of sites that will let you compare, side by side, the specs of these phones, about 3-4 at a time. If you *really* want them ALL, then simply print out the comparisons in groups of 3-4, on paper, and then arrange them side by side!

Try: www.phonescoop.com, www.phonearena.com www.pdadb.net (I think this last one allows more than 4, but it becomes a bit impractical on a PC screen...)

Of course what this process WON'T do, is make comparisons relating to non-spec issues, like real life reports of user satisfaction, UI/OS differences and usability, durability and stability, build quality, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy22 View Post
    I'm guessing Kupe was being a bit "tongue in cheek" with his list, but I like it! It really does help you think about what you may be missing when you start to compare phones.
    Here you go:

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm

The winning handset is delivered to your house automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy22 View Post
    I was teasing a bit. I figured if the OP really went through that entire list and scored out each of those features / factors, his first choice would naturally bubble to the top without the need for the fictional Auto-decider 3000.
  15.    #15  
    Yeah my list may have been a little lengthy

I currently have a Treo 750 and I am wanting to upgrade to one of these devices:

*HTC Diamond, Touch Pro, or Dream
    *Iphone 3G
    *Treo 850
    *Blackberry Bold
    *and maybe the Sony Xperia or Motorola Q9h (I honestly have researched these much but noticed them in this thread).

I am a big Treo fan and I will use my phone mainly for emails, scheduling/planning, notes, texting, internet access.

I dont really use the mp3 player on my 750 but occasionally I use the camera (but rarely).

I really like the touchscreen and front facing keyboard but I have never had any other smartphones or pdas besides the Treo 650 and 750 so I would be interested to get some opinions from people who have switched over from Palm to other brands.

Also one important bit of info. is that I am with AT&T.

Thanks
    I have no experience with blackberry, and admittedly I've used treos since the 270, so maybe there is no hope for me, but after using the iPhone for 1 month, (I figured that was long enough to give it a fair go) here is my list of things that I find annoying about the iPhone. Not that it's not a sexy seductive device, but then I get the feeling most of the people who own an iPhone don't use them for business applications. They have probably never been smartphone users.

Here goes in no particular order.
    1) no rules for mail
    2) no folders for mail
    3) can't forward a text message
    4) can't forward a text message as an email (you'd be surprised how useful this)
    5) can't distribute a calendar event as an email or text message without retyping it (doh)
    6) can't choose which calendars to sync (with push)
    7) can't add a contact from a text message
    8) can't view sent items in text messages (unless there is a chat initiated or you've sent 2 messages to the same person you can't do this ie: no sent messages view)
    9) The To Do list from iCal will not to sync to iPhone
    10) can't beam (wireless or otherwise) a contact or Cal event to or from another device
    11) can't send a contact to or from another device (text or email)
    12) Find a contact nightmare (My address book is aprox 1800 people, to find a contact at the very least I have to scroll through the whole of the contacts associated the the first letter of their last name, and thats if I'm accurate on the alphabet down the side) Surely a keyboard pop up that lets you type the first letter of the first name and then continue typing the last name would be quicker.) edit: after I typed this I realized there was a keyboard but it's so slow to pop up???
    13) keyboard Help? Keycaps, on my palm, if I hold a key down, I get the capital, if I tap that key twice I get the shifted character
    14) can't edit docs, exel etc
    15) can't attach files to mail
    16) no wireless sync with the computer (see point 6)
    17) can't mount the device and use it as storage (ie: be able to carry and share a subset of documents with other computers using the device) ie: you can always take your sd card out of your treo and pop it in any computer.
    18) the operating system is SLOOWWWW!
    19) i get "call failed" more often than not when trying to use the phone.

that should narrow your choice by one phone
    My gosh! that is a nightmare. I only played and thought in horror about possibly scratching the screen. I use FlexMail on my 800W and it handles the mail stuff, the built in thing does the text message stuff, in fact, it does everything else.
  18. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    i will also add sony xperia. i dont know if it will make it to states?
    I read somewhere that SE is going with WinMob on the Xperia because it'll let them get into markets where Symbian is not widely used (read: the US). And the fact that 1700 is on the freq list tells me it's coming to T-Mo--I wonder if that'll be on the unlocked one too.

Of course, it may also be coming to AT&T as well.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I would also recommend adding the Omnia, M8800 Pixon and Xperia to the mix.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com