Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Hey everyone

so everyone in my family wants a Treo now, yay, so im in charge or getting them all unlocked 680's and in the process I remember about the Google Android project and I have T-Mobile.

Read that they will be shipping soon, but I wanted to grab everyones opinion on it? The Apps and interface seem wicked cool, iPhone competitor if you ask me. I trust Google a lot more then most companies also. GMail user since day1.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    I trust Google a lot more then most companies also
    Great job marketing, eh? There will come a time, soon enough, that Microsoft and Apple will seem like saints. And Palm, like a poor, bumbling *****.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    i actually just checked out the "Treo Pro" and i am on GSM and I am VERY impressed! Looks like Palm is back baby!!! Hopefully the new Palm OS will find its way onto these devices sooner rather then later as a smartphone with WIFI may be required if I study in the UK, I saw their mobile data rates are.... :O lol
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Get your family members Centro's, it's cheap, easy to use and a solid phone. They wont regret it.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
    Get your family members Centro's, it's cheap, easy to use and a solid phone. They wont regret it.
    haha they all hate the Centro's, too small and costly unlocked. I like the 1.3mp camera though for me, was considering one... I just need a good upgrade of some kind.
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Other than the kbd, the Centro is VERY, VERY GOOD!!!

But this is the first time somebody complained about a mobile being too small. Certainly, the distinctiveness of the 600/650/680 is lost.
    Android is very unimpressive. Download the SDK and run the emulator if you don't believe me, but its basically another iPhone. Flashy interface with very little substance. They need to spend much less time on the interface and more time creating a solid platform that is intuitive. I mean hell, there's not even a calendar/ PIM features on it.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Android is very unimpressive. Download the SDK and run the emulator if you don't believe me, but its basically another iPhone. Flashy interface with very little substance. They need to spend much less time on the interface and more time creating a solid platform that is intuitive. I mean hell, there's not even a calendar/ PIM features on it.
    I haven't looked at the SDK so take this comment as coming from someone who doesn't know a whole lot about the Android platform. It seems like Google's approach to designing a mobile operating system is a little different than say Palm, Microsoft or Apple in that they are focusing on building a stable platform that developers with fill with cool apps (like a calendar app). With the exception of the apps that they already make (like Google Maps) they're giving developers the incentive to build stuff. Whereas Palm, Apple & Microsoft have designed core apps like calendar, tasks, etc. and left the rest to 3rd party developers

My opinion is based on a video Sergey Brin did (think I saw it on YouTube).

Either way, it's an interesting addition to the mix.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter View Post
    It seems like Google's approach to designing a mobile operating system is a little different than say ... Apple...
    I wish it was more different than Apple actually. Their approach seems to be design a pretty touchscreen interface and hope nobody who uses it knows any better about anything else.

Supposedly there is a calendar app in earlier versions of the SDK though, I don't know, I've only tried the last two.
    Android is actually a product of the Open Handset Alliance..not just google. It is based on Linux and is about as open as a viable phone OS can be (apologies to OpenMoko).

Anyone who is looking at the current default look and feel of Android (or its available apps) is missing the boat...completely. That would be like looking at Linux ten years ago and dismissing it because it wasn't as pretty as Windows XP or the Mac OS.

Android is revolutionary...and the carriers and handset makers are by and large EXTREMELY enthusiastic to break out of the proprietary OS-es.

The guts of the OS is the revolution...not its look and feel. Take my word for it, you will be able to skin it and make it look dramatically different. It's essentially Linux...and anyone who cares to now can make their Linux desktop OS look like Windows XP, Windows Vista, Leopard, or something even better.

Unlike the iPhone, you won't be stuck with one handset offering a limited (and annually dictated) set of features. Handset carriers will actually have to innovate to get your business. Expect to see Android-based handsets with as little or as much as you are willing to pay for.

Applications? This is where the Palm OS has dominated for years...at least in terms of sheer number. The iPhone is now getting a small library...but an SDK that came out one year after the handset hit the consumer channels has slowed that progress..as has constrained development tools, development programs, and distribution channels. The Android SDK was actually available before the iPhone SDK...and Google is actually paying 50 non-staff developers to write Android software (the winners of their app submission contest). Additionally, you will almost certainly see an army of open-source developers writing/porting software for this OS.

The freely-available Android development platform runs on pretty much anything, works with eclipse, does not require registration, and will allow you to distribute your applications in numerous fashions - including through an app store or direct install. Code has FULL access to the hardware...including the phone, GPS, camera, network, ...

Seriously, Android could be as revolutionary to phone OS-es as Linux has been to servers and consumer-based devices (e.g., Tivos, Chumbys, etc).

The mass market will most likely look at the forthcoming HTC Dream handset's specs and infer something about Android. They will have missed the boat. Android is an OS...an OPEN (for the most part) OS...and one that costs handset vendors pretty much nothing. Seriously, how many folks have lusted after WinMob hardware, but not jumped because the OS is so bad? Those vendors compete so aggressively on hardware because the OS is a commodity...but it also sucks...and the consumer must rely on Microsoft to fix and/or upgrade it. Not so for Android.

I, for one, am sitting on my old Treo 700p until a decent Android handset hits the streets. That may be the HTC Dream in October...or perhaps something else if the Dream doesn't perform as well as expected. Time will tell...but I will not be waiting around for Palm's Nova or jumping on to the iPhone bandwagon.

Your mileage may vary.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    I am also sitting on my 700p, waiting for a Sprint Andriod. But since they recently released the Source Code, who's gonna be the first to port it to one of our old Palm's?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Google will be doing a lot more to improve this mobile OS in the near future. It will be a good year or two before Android becomes a full featured mobile OS. So let's wait and see what the Android will be capable of in the future.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I have owned PalmOS on a Handspring Visor, Treo 180, 600, and 650. I have owned Windows Mobile on PPC6800, Treo 700wx and the Mogul.

I have now played with Android on the G1. Sorry Palm, game over.

Android is a huge paradigm shift. One of it's best features is that it's the first true cloud device. Everyone keeps asking "how do I sync with Android?", the answer is you don't.

Instead you sync with Google (or Google Apps for your Domain). What this means is that you turn on your phone, enter your Google or GAYD email and password; and that's it. Your phone syncs with Google (this includes Calendar).

Loose your phone? No problem just get a replacement and repeat.

Everything you need is there, and anything you want is coming.

The comment judging Android based upon the emulator from the SDK is like judging Windows Mobile based upon WinCE; after all Windows Mobile is merely a UI layer on WinCE; so WinMo and WinCE must be the same thing, right?

For me Android is not only the next big OS, it is also the next big platform. Android should completely take over the feature phone market; although the user may not recognize it as Android due to custom UIs. It should also dominate (with Apple) the pro-sumer market. I would agree that the Enterprise market is still in question.

And from a developers perspective Android is the hottest thing going. No barriers to overcome, a built-in software distribution channel, and the ability to install outside of normal channels.

Now how can I get Android on my Treo? I really like the candy-bar design and T-Mobile's coverage sucks in my area...
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I am also sitting on my 700p, waiting for a Sprint Andriod. But since they recently released the Source Code, who's gonna be the first to port it to one of our old Palm's?
    Unfortunately the ***** at the top say's Android is not good enough for Sprint.

This is making me reconsider TMobile.

www.xda-developers.com has multiple threads on porting Android.
    Oh my God, I can't believe I almost passedup tthis phone, I am in love with my phone again. Bought a G1 just to play with. I think it is a keeper.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post
    T-Mobile's coverage sucks in my area...
    Any way to use a G1 on another carriers network, like Verizon?
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
    G1 by T-Mo is GSM. Verizon may have their own version if and when they announce it.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    G1 by T-Mo is GSM. Verizon may have their own version if and when they announce it.
    duh, I knew that. Can the G1 be used on ATT's network?
    Data works only at TMo 3G speed, different freq (1700/2100MHz). AT&T uses 850/1900MHz. Standard GPRS will work. Standard Quad-band GSM 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz, so phone is ok.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    So how long would it take to walk out of the T-Mo store, cross the street and walk into the ATT store? In other words, what would be involved in getting a new G1 onto ATT's network?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast