Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Fixing the 3g issue with the iphone and other bugs. Without all the blogs and whatnot hyping that phone, they're in trouble as their computers are pretty much overpriced junk. And the phone is basically the main thing driving pc users to try out macs. A buggy iphone they don't need.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10...ag=blog.promos

News that apple is trying to fix a problem that they've denied having. One researcher thinks a recall is the fix..apple thinks it can be solved with a software patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Without all the blogs and whatnot hyping that phone, they're in trouble as their computers are pretty much overpriced junk.
    I know what you mean - Apple's Stock is really tanking and their Laptop Sales are in the toilet. Nothing like that financial juggernaut Palm. What on earth are you even talking about?
  3.    #3  
    deleted...my apologies... Their ipods/iphone is the main reason for increases in their other markets. Let a buggy phone erode all the hype they enjoy and watch em fall back to earth. This is a summer apple would sooner forget.

It's been a mess so far.
    Last edited by cardfan; 08/15/2008 at 10:12 AM.
    I dare to say that the iPhone will be the new Treo in a few years after the App store.... meaning it will experience resets, hanging, all due to 3rd party software.

Think about it... all these problems did not happen with the original iPhone 1.0. Apple now will feel how hard it is to maintain a phone while opening it up to 3rd party developers.

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...arty-apps.html
  5.    #5  
    My thinking is along these lines. The first apple phone was huge, it worked, and no resets hardly. This drove sales of macs from pc users constantly being bombarded with how bad Vista is. Heck, that's another topic in itself as even people who never used Vista hate it. I'm convinced MS needs a quick update and name change as Vista has no chance in recovering any brand equity.

Whatever you may want to believe, the iphone was responsible IMO for apple's increased mac sales.

Now if the iphone 3g starts getting a bad rep (ala vista), you can kiss those "disgruntled" pc users making the change to mac goodbye in search of the perfect OS that simply does everything the iphone way.

I put disgruntled in quotes because i honestly think it's more of a perception. Vista is the best OS i've ever used. It's amazing how all the bloggers have gotten everyone convinced otherwise. Many problems are simply the result of users being ignorant, doing crappy upgrades, having old computers, etc. There are a ton of new features in Vista although the average user still seems to just want to go online, log into myspace, use an IM app, or play WOW.

In that respect, i think Treos have gotten bashed a lot too. I like palm going with Treo Pro...in an effort to better differentiate it. Going with Centro was wise as well. And yep, palm gets bashed so much these days..it's such an old dinosaur. Until you use it and realize it still looks like a better OS than most, simple to use, and still does more than what most users need in a smartphone.

Apple made it simple, great to look at (screen), navigate through, easy to update or install apps, and pretty much gets it in terms of marketing.

Palm, i feel has had, and still has great products that could be better. If they would design a better app to do the updates/app installs, market it better, do a minor refresh of how the home page looks, bring out updates even if they're minor..it totally changes perceptions, etc. If you're going after new smartphone users, you have to make it more simple and get an itunes like app.
    I was one of those people that bought a MacBook simply because of the other Apple products I had. Prior to the iPhone, I had already wanted a MacBook; the iPhone just intensified the "want" - so instead of sitting around wanting it, I got it.

I dont consider myself an avid Mac user. For what I do with it, I could have gotten something much cheaper; but thats just going back to me and my wants.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    i have never owned any apple product but iphone and according to me apple's (iphone's) # 1 prob is the phone itself! terrible reception. not just 3g but even original iphone!most embarrassing part is whenever someone see iphone in my hand and goes wow! nd when they dial a phone # it says 'No service'!!!
    Increased Macintosh sales came from a lot of areas, one main one being the iphone/ipod sales. The other big one is their switch to Intel hardware. Being able to run Windows on your new Mac makes it that much easier to transition to a Mac.

I put disgruntled in quotes because i honestly think it's more of a perception.
    Sadly, Palm Inc has the exact same perception problem as MS. In all objectivity, Palm has actually come up with very good devices, but any negative news about Palm has been magnified by the tech blogs and positive news not so much (case in point... the 2 million Centros sold news made it to Engadget Mobile and not the Main Blog page).

I have said this in the past and i will say it again... Palm has to put a new face behind them, a person whom the media loves that can be associated with the company. It does not have to be a Steve Jobs. Start with a celebrity endorser of some sort... maybe... Michael Phelps?
    we happily converted over to apple/mac throughout the entire house, before the iPhone was even introduced. for us it was the iPod that sent us into the stores to buy desktop and laptop computers, then other peripherals. the iPhones were the latest purchases.

have enjoyed the move so far but i still carry a blackberry as well.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  11.    #11  
    But it was a apple handheld that made you look. Heck, i even looked strongly at Macs again after using the original iphone for awhile. Although all i really saw were cute looking machines that will basically be incompatible with a number of accounting/tax software that i use. Not to mention weak on gaming. And no, i didn't want to run vista on a mac.

The same things (with Vista) are very prevalent though on forums concerning the iphone. They're getting torched with comments about how buggy it is. The perception that apple produces perfect computers will take a tumble the longer the iphone problems linger on.

Apple could do better control on this. They ARE releasing updates pretty quickly but otherwise mum has been the word. Perhaps though they're in a catch 22. If they say something they'll get slammed and it'll be an endless cycle of having to explain. Might be best to be quiet.

The number one problem for me other than resets from apps and browsing and some slugginesh, would be syncing with itunes. I'd still like to see a different way to sort apps (in the app store) and perhaps "ignore" ones i never want to see pop up again. As it is, you have to browse through too many trash apps. Other than a few games, i still haven't seen many useful ones like CallRec, etc that are out for the palm.
  12.    #12  
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...CmoreStories.0

Apple has released iPhone OS 2.0.2 with its obligatory, but unhelpful, release notes indicating only "bug fixes."

Unfortunately, a resolution to widespread, frustrating 3G reception issues is not among those fixes. In fact, some users have reported that the update manifests poorer 3G reception than 2.0.1, with devices now giving a "No Service" message in previously 3G-accessible locations.

Uh-oh.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...CmoreStories.0

Apple has released iPhone OS 2.0.2 with its obligatory, but unhelpful, release notes indicating only "bug fixes."

Unfortunately, a resolution to widespread, frustrating 3G reception issues is not among those fixes. In fact, some users have reported that the update manifests poorer 3G reception than 2.0.1, with devices now giving a "No Service" message in previously 3G-accessible locations.

Uh-oh.

Apple has reported that an estimated 2% of iPhone users have these problems. My 3G reception has been pretty good. It matches the AT&T coverage map on their website.
  14.    #14  
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D92LLK180.htm

The iPhone 2.0.2 software update "improved communication with 3G networks," said Apple spokeswoman Jennifer Bowcock.

Bowcock would not say which of the many possible parts -- from the iPhone's antenna and amplifier and the radio frequency transceiver, to the baseband that processes the digital signal and sends it to the speaker or screen -- were targeted with the software update.

She also declined to describe the sort of improvements users might expect after installing the update.

No definitive information has been released about the source of the problem, which seemed to affect some iPhone users and not others. Last week, Sweden's foremost engineering weekly published a report indicating a problem between the iPhone's antenna and an amplifier meant to improve performance in areas with a weak signal.

Apple declined to comment on the report.

Love the updates..don't love not knowing a thing about what's been updated for fixed. Truthfully, i'm not having 3g problems either. Just reset problems with apps and browsing and crappy sync times and itunes freezing sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Apple has reported that an estimated 2% of iPhone users have these problems. My 3G reception has been pretty good. It matches the AT&T coverage map on their website.
    Isn't that about the same percentage that Palm reported for users having problems with the 700p?
    Apple is finally being forced to admit the 3G iPhone has problems. I may keep using the old one until they release another iPhone entirely, just due to all the reports of problems. I don't want to deal with 3G reception problems.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10...&tag=cnetfd.mt
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Didn't Jobs say he did not recommend installing the latest update?
    If he did, that's surprising! He is supposed to be on top of things so if something's wrong with the update...

I'm installing it on the first version phone. We'll see how it goes on this one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Vista is the best operating system you have used?

WOW

My thinking is along these lines. The first apple phone was huge, it worked, and no resets hardly. This drove sales of macs from pc users constantly being bombarded with how bad Vista is. Heck, that's another topic in itself as even people who never used Vista hate it. I'm convinced MS needs a quick update and name change as Vista has no chance in recovering any brand equity.

Whatever you may want to believe, the iphone was responsible IMO for apple's increased mac sales.

Now if the iphone 3g starts getting a bad rep (ala vista), you can kiss those "disgruntled" pc users making the change to mac goodbye in search of the perfect OS that simply does everything the iphone way.

I put disgruntled in quotes because i honestly think it's more of a perception. Vista is the best OS i've ever used. It's amazing how all the bloggers have gotten everyone convinced otherwise. Many problems are simply the result of users being ignorant, doing crappy upgrades, having old computers, etc. There are a ton of new features in Vista although the average user still seems to just want to go online, log into myspace, use an IM app, or play WOW.

In that respect, i think Treos have gotten bashed a lot too. I like palm going with Treo Pro...in an effort to better differentiate it. Going with Centro was wise as well. And yep, palm gets bashed so much these days..it's such an old dinosaur. Until you use it and realize it still looks like a better OS than most, simple to use, and still does more than what most users need in a smartphone.

Apple made it simple, great to look at (screen), navigate through, easy to update or install apps, and pretty much gets it in terms of marketing.

Palm, i feel has had, and still has great products that could be better. If they would design a better app to do the updates/app installs, market it better, do a minor refresh of how the home page looks, bring out updates even if they're minor..it totally changes perceptions, etc. If you're going after new smartphone users, you have to make it more simple and get an itunes like app.
  20.    #20  
    Yep, that's what i said. You seem in shock though. Been brainwashed much? LOL

Just my opinion though. Let me know why you think otherwise other than some bloggers told you so
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast