Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Increased Macintosh sales came from a lot of areas, one main one being the iphone/ipod sales. The other big one is their switch to Intel hardware. Being able to run Windows on your new Mac makes it that much easier to transition to a Mac.
    Bingo...we have a winner.
    Lock and Load!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    we happily converted over to apple/mac throughout the entire house, before the iPhone was even introduced. for us it was the iPod that sent us into the stores to buy desktop and laptop computers, then other peripherals. the iPhones were the latest purchases.

have enjoyed the move so far but i still carry a blackberry as well.

I agree. We are an Apple/Mac household now. My wife has a MacBook and I have an iMac and MacBook Pro. I've had both versions of the iPhone. My wife has an iPod nano. She has now converted from her LG Shine to my old 1st Gen iPhone.

Some of the iPhone things out there bug me, particuarly the 3G problems. I do suspect that in my area at least, the 3G problems are a combination of the device and the network. I had problems with my previous 3G Treo 750 on AT&T in my area.
    Lock and Load!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    The worst problem the iPhone has is its association with AT&T. I once had AT&T, and it NEVER got my phone bill right (always in its favor, of course).

I spent hours and hours on the phone with AT&T to correct the problems every month--NEVER AGAIN!

Plus, who wants to spend $80/month on phone service?
    I was spending the same amount per month on phone service with my Treo 750 on AT&T that I am spending with my 3g iPhone. In fact, I paid more upfront for the Treo 750 at the time than I paid for my current iPhone.
    Lock and Load!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D92LLK180.htm

The iPhone 2.0.2 software update "improved communication with 3G networks," said Apple spokeswoman Jennifer Bowcock.

Bowcock would not say which of the many possible parts -- from the iPhone's antenna and amplifier and the radio frequency transceiver, to the baseband that processes the digital signal and sends it to the speaker or screen -- were targeted with the software update.

She also declined to describe the sort of improvements users might expect after installing the update.

No definitive information has been released about the source of the problem, which seemed to affect some iPhone users and not others. Last week, Sweden's foremost engineering weekly published a report indicating a problem between the iPhone's antenna and an amplifier meant to improve performance in areas with a weak signal.

Apple declined to comment on the report.

Love the updates..don't love not knowing a thing about what's been updated for fixed. Truthfully, i'm not having 3g problems either. Just reset problems with apps and browsing and crappy sync times and itunes freezing sometimes.
    Well, at least they get the updates out quickly, which can be compared to how the updates went for the Treo 700P. Remember those? They were a real treat. And very timely too.
    Lock and Load!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Didn't Jobs say he did not recommend installing the latest update?
    Link?

I haven't read that anywhere.
    Lock and Load!
  6.    #26  
    Are they really updates if they don't provide any fixes?
    Yep, that's what i said. You seem in shock though. Been brainwashed much? LOL

Just my opinion though. Let me know why you think otherwise other than some bloggers told you so
    You've obviously never used VMS.

:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Didn't Jobs say he did not recommend installing the latest update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Link?

I follow Apple and iPhone news using various sources and haven't seen this either. I'm sure if he had said it it would haven been reported widely so I'm thinking bclinger has this one wrong. Plus, the scenario of Apple releasing an update that Jobs then publicly recommends no-one install just seems too bizarre.
    Are they really updates if they don't provide any fixes?
    Yes.
  10.    #30  
    But of course they are..which is why they do it
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad.../20/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Link?

Gotta scroll far down the page for that article, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Apple is finally being forced to admit the 3G iPhone has problems. I may keep using the old one until they release another iPhone entirely, just due to all the reports of problems. I don't want to deal with 3G reception problems.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10...&tag=cnetfd.mt
    I had wished I would have just got the original iPhone but Stevie had to pull em off the shelf and ram this down our throats. I don't mind 2G speeds at times and my battery lasts me two full days on my BJ II when I mostly occuppy a 2G networks with moderate use. I wanted to get the iPhone 3G but my wife put the breaks on it at release. She finally gave me the go to get one and I found out this 3G problem way before the start of this thread from other sources on at&t website forum. Now I am glad I didn't take the plunge. I am also concerned about the iPhone being good at being a phone??? My BJ II has awesome reception, rarely drop calls. I need that reliablility amongst a smartphones/PDA's other capabilities as well. Now the possible 3rd Blackjack comming to the market and the Treo Pro has got my attention when and if they come to at&t.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Fixing the 3g issue with the iphone and other bugs. Without all the blogs and whatnot hyping that phone, they're in trouble as their computers are pretty much overpriced junk. And the phone is basically the main thing driving pc users to try out macs.
    I love my macbook pro, it's hardly a piece of junk
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    That PalmAddicts article refers to this article from AppleInsider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...september.html

which says that an AppleInsider reader received this response from Steve Jobs to a question about third-party app crashes:

"This is a known iPhone bug that is being fixed in the next software update in September,"

PalmAddicts wrongly says this was in answer to a question about 3G reception issues. Nowhere in either article is Jobs quoted as saying anything like 'don't update to 2.0.2' - as far as I can see that's all in the mind of the person ('Andy J. S.') who wrote the PalmAddicts article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I love my macbook pro, it's hardly a piece of junk
    Ditto. And it didn't cost more than a hardware-equivalent Dell or HP.

But I'm sick of customers asking me what to do when they buy my software for iPhone, and the first time they run it it dies before starting. Apple needs to fix that stuff.
    I put disgruntled in quotes because i honestly think it's more of a perception. Vista is the best OS i've ever used. It's amazing how all the bloggers have gotten everyone convinced otherwise. Many problems are simply the result of users being ignorant, doing crappy upgrades, having old computers, etc.
    In one sense Vista is no better / worse than any other MS OS. The fact remains, every MS OS that has ever come out:

1. Was substantially slower on the same hardware than its predecessor.
    2. Had more bloat (useless stuff) than its predecessor
    3. Had a bigger foot print than its predecessor
    4. Had more DRM and other "limiting" choices than it's predecessor.
    5. Had a larger memory footprint than it's predecessor.
    6. Took years to be supported by as many pieces of hardware and software as its predecessor.

On the other hand, PC vendors are reporting that greater than 35% of their customers receiving Vista PC's since June 30 (when XP sales ended) have since "downgraded" to XP.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Win...rade,6187.html

As for Apple's problems, I wish I had those kinda problems .... 30% profit margin and 5 million iPhones this quarter.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Apple-Q32008,news-2437.html

I'd still choose my 650 over an iPhone but apparently I am a small minority.
    And still no decent command line interface. (Monad is interesting, but if it ain't (t|c|ba)sh I ain't buying.)

IMHO the main problem with Vista is that of its noticeable improvements, the most compelling have to do with preventing russian hackers from taking over your computer. And they shouldn't have been able to do that in the first place.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12