1.    #1  
    Mentioned in another thread, it does seem similar to aol years ago.

Remember when you first dialed up. I was connecting to BBB's and the like. There were others like compuserve and the like. Only people with the knowhow really went on the internet.

Along comes aol with a shiny pretty interface to the masses, so simple that a 6 year old could connect to the net..along with the chat rooms, etc. Yep, i used aol. Didn't everyone get an aol disc in the mail? lol An online ad thrown at you with every click.

Over time, the net evolved and so did other dialups and carriers. Broadband took most away for good although i'm sure some still cling to aol. AOL got ripped by those in the know as did its users over time.

Present: Here comes apple with its shiny new interface bringing smartphones to the masses. So simple a 6 year old could use. Others like palm and wm (compuserve?) are beside themselves looking for ways to look like them. Their users looking down their noses at all the noobs now flocking to that iphone with its simple interface.

But we all know aol kinda went poof. How long will apple hold on as tech gets better? Remember at one time, aol was cool too.

I'll stay with aolapple for awhile, but history tells me the others will evolve and pass them (as will the coolness factor) if aol sticks to catering to 6 year olds along with controlling everything.

Any thoughts? I'm really bored today at work...
    Here's why the analogy doesn't hold up:

1) AOL always had a crappy interface.
    2) no one ever tried to imitate AOL
    3) AOL was NEVER cool. Really. It was always despised.
    4) AOL never innovated anything. They were a more aggressively marketed version of Compuserve or The Source. When the internet came along, they were the last to join the party. They never adopted anything new.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Here's why the analogy doesn't hold up:

1) AOL always had a crappy interface.
    2) no one ever tried to imitate AOL
    3) AOL was NEVER cool. Really. It was always despised.
    4) AOL never innovated anything. They were a more aggressively marketed version of Compuserve or The Source. When the internet came along, they were the last to join the party. They never adopted anything new.
    Good list. Two other things:
    - AOL never had Steve Jobs
    - AOL never had Jason Ive
    Lock and Load!