Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought I beat Surur in posting this........Apple can deactivate software on your iPhone ota.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/06/...pp-store-apps/
    Everytime I see an iPhone-negative post title I look down and get upset when it's not Surur

Just joshing you Surur, I have an iPhone and I'm still a big WM fan - just waiting for the Treo 850 to come out since HTC and the other companies can't produce a solid, fast, reliable WM device.
    Not often I see my name in the title of a post.

Anyways, I am not surprised. The potential for malicious abuse is great of course. By using DNS poisoning they could deactivate all apps for AT&T customers, or on a smaller scale some-one could do the same at starbucks.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Not often I see my name in the title of a post.
    Rock star status achieved.
    I'm getting sick of all these companies telling us what we can't do on our own devices and/or services we paid money for. And Apple ISN'T the only one!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm getting sick of all these companies telling us what we can't do on our own devices and/or services we paid money for. And Apple ISN'T the only one!
    Apple sure is the biggest guilty party of this though. No MMS, no Copy/Paste, no video-recording, NO TASKS, etc.
    They should have a lease program. It's expensive, it's never yours and in a couple of years, worthless.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I have a hard time thinking apple gives a crap if MMS is on the phone. Sounds more like the carrier. The rest? Yeah, apple doesn't seem too worried about. But then again, they're selling them like hotcakes. Who knows..maybe they got a timeline indicating before the holidays they'll release some wanted features to jumpstart any lagging sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    except that (in this case) you are all missing the point (due to some horrible reporting). This is NOT an application blacklist. It's a CORELOCATION blacklist. It is stored int he corelocation directory. The url has "clbl" in its name ("CoreLocationBlackList" - get it?)

The point of this file is NOT to disable applications. It is to prevent rogue applications from determining your LOCATION using the gps features. I think this is a GOOD thing.

btw, i now have a 3G in addition to my 2(.5)G iphone. The gps features are pretty neat. 3G is eh. Feels nicer in the hand.

The good news is Apple seems to be approving apps much faster lately (couple of days). I still wish i could tell you the stories of what they've objected to. They need to lift the damned NDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    except that (in this case) you are all missing the point (due to some horrible reporting). This is NOT an application blacklist. It's a CORELOCATION blacklist. It is stored int he corelocation directory. The url has "clbl" in its name ("CoreLocationBlackList" - get it?)

The point of this file is NOT to disable applications. It is to prevent rogue applications from determining your LOCATION using the gps features. I think this is a GOOD thing.

btw, i now have a 3G in addition to my 2(.5)G iphone. The gps features are pretty neat. 3G is eh. Feels nicer in the hand.

The good news is Apple seems to be approving apps much faster lately (couple of days). I still wish i could tell you the stories of what they've objected to. They need to lift the damned NDA.
    If an application is rogue (and am I to understand everything still runs as root) disabling access to one API is pretty pointless. They could presumably access the hardware directly.

Surur
    Surur, you are incorrect. First, even running as root does not grant hardware access. File permissions are completely different than protected-mode vs. non-protected-mode code. And the "one API" is a pretty important one - most people are pretty uncomfortable with strangers monitoring their locations.

I'm sure they have another mechanism for rooting out other categories of rogue software (keystroke loggers, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Surur, you are incorrect. First, even running as root does not grant hardware access. File permissions are completely different than protected-mode vs. non-protected-mode code. And the "one API" is a pretty important one - most people are pretty uncomfortable with strangers monitoring their locations.

I'm sure they have another mechanism for rooting out other categories of rogue software (keystroke loggers, etc.)
    That does not make sense. Root is highest level of permission, right? That includes hardware access, does it not?

If I had real root, I would be able to swap out the core location library for my own version, without the restrictions for example.

So do apps have the same privileges as the rest of the system software, or not (ignoring Apple's poorly enforced rules of course)

Surur
    That does not make sense. Root is highest level of permission, right? That includes hardware access, does it not?

If I had real root, I would be able to swap out the core location library for my own version, without the restrictions for example.

So do apps have the same privileges as the rest of the system software, or not (ignoring Apple's poorly enforced rules of course)

Surur
    Apps do NOT have the same privileges as the rest of the system software. That is why, for example, apps cannot even write outside of their sandbox; they can't even see the rest of the system.
    But is this a restriction of the API they are allowed to use, or is it externally enforced by the OS?

Surur
    It's enforced.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Apple sure is the biggest guilty party of this though. No MMS, no Copy/Paste, no video-recording, NO TASKS, etc.
    Actually I was speaking in general. Quite a few companies and services are now telling us what we can do even though we're paying or have paid for a product or service. Looks like we're going to end up not owning anything for our money, just renting at this rate!

But yes, the iPhone really needs another major software update and FAST!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This story is a theory proven incorrect. It is a means to limit some applications access to core location services (GPS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Well Dutch and Diva . . . . almost like old times.

Cheers, Perry
    Hey Perry... just took a quick look to see if I saw any of the old crew and had to post when I saw surur still trying to drive down apple stock single handedly. Back on early '06 when I was dropping off here apple was around mid $70's if memory serves.

Oh well...some dogs just chase the same bus whether it comes or not

I hope you and yours are doing great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    Hey Perry... just took a quick look to see if I saw any of the old crew and had to post when I saw surur still trying to drive down apple stock single handedly. Back on early '06 when I was dropping off here apple was around mid $70's if memory serves.

Oh well...some dogs just chase the same bus whether it comes or not

I hope you and yours are doing great!!
    Seeing how I did not post the article, and had no intention of doing so an apology would be appreciated.

Surur
    Seeing how I did not post the article, and had no intention of doing so an apology would be appreciated.

Surur
    sorry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast