1. Ken
    I've been skimming through these threads the last few days trying to catch up on what's new in the world of PDA's. (I use the Visor Deluxe, but hadn't know about the new Sony Clie's until just four days ago!).

I'm curious - some of you have written briefly about "the next generation ARM based palm devices." I've done a search for "ARM Palm devices" on Google, but haven't come up with much. Can someone fill me in? I want to ditch my VDL sometime soon, but am willing to wait for this "next generation" if it's really going to be a giant leap forward for the Palm OS.
    From what I've heard, PalmOS 5 will run on mew devices with ARM Xscale processors, the same ones in the PPCs now. They will run around 300mHZ or more. We are unsure if PalmOS 5 can run on non-ARM devices. Most likely it won't, the hardware can't handle it. The new OS should have ore PPC-ish features like multimedia. That's all I can tell you, but take it with a grain of salt.
  3. Ken
    Nowadays, most Palm PDAís are using 33mHZ processors, right? So, if I understand you correctly, the new Palmís will be almost 10x faster???!!! How can that be???

Is the PalmOS 5 supposed to come out sometime soon? Iíll be back in the States around the beginning of October and would like to ďupgradeĒ my PDA at that time. Iím very interested in the Clie N610 and the m505. Anything else on the horizon? A Visor Snap, perhaps? (Iím not the least bit interested in a PocketPC, so donít even bother mentioning 'em).
    Originally posted by Ken
    Nowadays, most Palm PDAís are using 33mHZ processors, right? So, if I understand you correctly, the new Palmís will be almost 10x faster???!!! How can that be???

Is the PalmOS 5 supposed to come out sometime soon? Iíll be back in the States around the beginning of October and would like to ďupgradeĒ my PDA at that time. Iím very interested in the Clie N610 and the m505. Anything else on the horizon? A Visor Snap, perhaps? (Iím not the least bit interested in a PocketPC, so donít even bother mentioning 'em).
    I'm not completely sure, but OS 5 won't be out until 2002. The new OS will require faster processors for the multimedia functions.
    Originally posted by Ken
    Strictly in clock speed terms, then I suppose you could say that. You must look at it much differently though, because you are talking about a COMPLETE architectural shift. This is like saying that a 1 Ghz Intel Pentium is twice as faster as a G4 500 mhz in a Mac (which isn't true in many cases). If this rumour is true (which is highly prossible), Palm would be shifting from the incredibly dated Motorola 68k architecture (CISC-based I think, similar technology ran early Macintosh computers) to a much more advanced and scalable RISC architecture in the StrongARMs. In a way, it's more than 10x, but in many ways, it's much less. The operating system will run much differently underneath (though I'm sure it will look and feel very similar to the current iterations), so the "speed increase" might not be as apparent as a 10x increase in clock speed.

Originally posted by Ken
    If it comes out, I doubt it will be that soon. Palm just released new Palm OS 4 based products this year, and hasn't even completed the product line (still need the new m-series Palm VIIx, the m700). Palm OS 5 is at least a year or two away IMO.
    Palm OS5 is scheduled for the second half of 2002. I suspect that it wil be at least September or October before it is out.
  7. Ken
    Dang! That's a long ways off. What about the Visor Snap/Twist? I know there's a thread on it, but it's 11 stickin' pages long. I can't hack my way through all of those posts!

Any more thoughts on when HS might be coming out with something new? Come October, when I return to the States, will I be able to do the Visor "Twist"? Or should I set my sights on the 610 or m505?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by everything's a blur
    (CISC-based I think, similar technology ran early Macintosh computers)
    Not to go out on a tangent here, but the term CISC is often misconstrued. The classifications are somewhat arbitrary and misleading. RISC is not, in its self, a technology so much as it was a design strategy. Untill the first RISC chips were produced, there was no such thing as a CISC chip. (Much like talkies created the first "silent" movies.)

Today notions such as RISC or CISC are fairly outmoded. The Pentium 4, for example, can be described as a RISCified x86 chip (as can the AMD Athlon & the Intel Pentium III) and the PowerPC G4 with it's Altivec instruction set is moving more towards CISCness.

BTW, no matter what the architecture or design, all CPUs do one thing and one thing only: They add binary numbers very quickly. That's all they really do.
    Last edited by Black_Dragon; 07/16/2001 at 10:56 AM.
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly