Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am so made at myself right now. My Verizon plan was up for renewal and they sent me a few coupons to sweeten the deal. Since everyone was bragging about the new Blackberry and I wanted to try something smaller it seemed like a good deal. I've been trying to like this new phone. Trying so hard I even missed my 30 day deadline to send it back (stupid me) and am now stuck with it. In short... I really hate it.

1. Trying to find where to change the ringtones is like searching for buried treasure. Nothing is easily listed.

2. the calendar is horrible. I miss my categories with colors and nice layout. Now I have to click on each black line to find an old reminder.

3. Ringtones? Don't even get me started on how horrible they are.

4. Calling someone is another feat. Click through the names (again... the layout is text on white) and then click the name. From there you scroll through to the number which you can't change the order of.

5. Texting layout is cluttered and ugly compared to Treo 700P and I've only been able to send after clicking twice.

6. Alerts. Message alerts do not flash the phone. Neither do the alarms. It's sound and vibrate if you choose, but that's it.

7. Picture quality is less than stellar. Personally I prefer the Treo. While it doesn't catch all the colors it looks clearer. Blackberry's photo either looks blurry or sharped to the point of ruining the photo. Considering I love taking photos with my phone this was a HUGE deal to me.

I'm sorry to sound so grumpy, but I'm mad at myself for buying it and saw all the other users that are happy with theirs and wanted to voice the other side. *sigh* I really miss my Treo.
    Thats what i've been trying to tell people the only reason i got it is for the camera with flash, the web browser sucks and it doesn't have sms threaded like the treo. So hopefully the 800p is smaller with a better camera and flash.
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Well, if you hate it that much, the best thing to do is buy another phone.

Keep the BB to experiment with and get used to. Who knows, you might grow to like it! I resisted the temptation and went with Centro, so what do I know?

Anyway, it isn't worth the agravation to stick with a phone you 'hate'
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa View Post
    I am so made at myself right now. My Verizon plan was up for renewal and they sent me a few coupons to sweeten the deal. Since everyone was bragging about the new Blackberry and I wanted to try something smaller it seemed like a good deal. I've been trying to like this new phone. Trying so hard I even missed my 30 day deadline to send it back (stupid me) and am now stuck with it. In short... I really hate it.

1. Trying to find where to change the ringtones is like searching for buried treasure. Nothing is easily listed.

2. the calendar is horrible. I miss my categories with colors and nice layout. Now I have to click on each black line to find an old reminder.

4. Calling someone is another feat. Click through the names (again... the layout is text on white) and then click the name. From there you scroll through to the number which you can't change the order of.

5. Texting layout is cluttered and ugly compared to Treo 700P and I've only been able to send after clicking twice.

6. Alerts. Message alerts do not flash the phone. Neither do the alarms. It's sound and vibrate if you choose, but that's it.

7. Picture quality is less than stellar. Personally I prefer the Treo. While it doesn't catch all the colors it looks clearer. Blackberry's photo either looks blurry or sharped to the point of ruining the photo. Considering I love taking photos with my phone this was a HUGE deal to me.

I'm sorry to sound so grumpy, but I'm mad at myself for buying it and saw all the other users that are happy with theirs and wanted to voice the other side. *sigh* I really miss my Treo.
    You seem like a simple person, I guess the BB isn't for you. Best go back to the past and enjoy your 5 year old phone OS. Those of us who know better and like to be productive would never pick Palm OS over the BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
    You seem like a simple person, I guess the BB isn't for you. Best go back to the past and enjoy your 5 year old phone OS. Those of us who know better and like to be productive would never pick Palm OS over the BB.
    +1
  6.    #6  
    Stayfly: I know, I know! I count this as a lesson learned. Thank you for responding.

rjuhl: *smiles* No more phones for me for a while. I don't need a new phone right now so my Treo is doing just fine. I am still going to try and sell the Blackberry. When I decide to get a new phone it's only going to be when I see something that offers what I like and more.

Pretty rude comment over a phone. Seriously... It means that much to you to insult someone you don't know simply because they prefer something else? *rolls eyes* I try not to get into the 'need everything new' hype.

I wouldn't call myself 'simple' at all. But my tastes are definitely different. I went back to my Treo and am quite happy with it. I bought the BB on impulse (my first mistake) and didn't really look into what it had that I wanted. Do I miss it? Not once bit. Again, insulting someone over a phone is pretty childish.

slingbox: That's nice that you can count. Really...
    lol pwned
    interesting commentary re: the Blackberry and I'm a bit surprised at your reasons for not liking the phone, but I understand that it's all about personal preference. i personally don't have an issue with the ringtones as a regular old ringtone works for me. finding the ringtones is rather simple (menu, media, ringtones) , maybe you just need to become more familiar with the menu prompts. calling someone is maybe the easiest of all things to do; press the phone key and either dial the number or select the individual from and his/her number from your address book. as for the texting gripe, the font is more than easy to read, it's very well laid out and easy to use. not sure I understand what you're after. it's a simple SMS application but one that allows you to check spelling and even add symbols to. the calendar works beyond well but I understand if you must have the pretty colors that you're accustomed to. as for the photos, the photos that my Curve takes appear just fine to me, but then again, i don't require much from my handheld device when it comes to picture taking (i use my DSLR for real picture taking purposes).

at the end of the day, it's you that has to like the phone and what it offers you, so much of what i've said here probably won't help you like it any better. just trying to give you another perspective is all. what are the things you like about the device? do they not outweigh some of your concerns? i would hope so because what you list doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me but perhaps something you could get used to with time.

take care
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I bought the BB on impulse (my first mistake) and didn't really look into what it had that I wanted.
    Easy to do in this day and age. Curve: Long battery life, outstanding email, middling entertainment, so-so PIM, simplistic texting, decent phone, no resets - a review like that might have saved you the hassle of switch and switching back.
    Last edited by Kupe; 08/05/2008 at 01:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    Whatever works best for each of us is the right choice.

I spent quite a bit of time with a friend's BB Curve (Sprint) and there was a lot to like. My only issue was that after using a Treo (650 and 755p) with Datebk6 for several years, the PIM apps on the Curve leave something to be desired. In my business, I value PIM functions over email to keep me productive. Now if CESD at Pimlico were to come up with a version for BB that would change things for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    lol pwned
    On 2nd post at TC
    LMAO
    Last edited by slingbox; 08/05/2008 at 06:06 PM.

That wasn't nice but I will be.

I wish you luck on your Treo adventure.
    Last edited by slingbox; 08/05/2008 at 06:07 PM.

I was a Treo user for years and love my Blackberry. All of the tings you mentioned are easy to do on a BB. I think the thing here is you are going from one OS to a totally different one and that takes some adjustment. My wife, who has never had a Treo, is on a Blackberry Curve and LOVES it! She said it is the best and easiest phone she has ever owned.

For me, a former 750 and a few earlier models owner, I had a short learning curve and the stability of the BB trumps any Treo model hands down. Don't get me wrong I really liked my Treo but from a business perspective the Treo cannot touch a BB.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    I find myself in the same boat. I miss the Treo for allot of reasons.

My company just rolled out 8820 / 8830 to all sales. Previously, we could choose our own device and get reimbursement. Now, they just handle the whole bill. Don't get me wrong. It's nice not having a cell bill each month. No question about it!

The BB is good at a few things. But, I really miss my 755. Allot in fact.
    Just got rid of my blackberry 8330 last night that I had for about 4 days. There were some cool fetures but overall, The TREO is better for me. Much more user friendly.
    Odessa, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I went from a 700p to a Curve, and while I'm somewhat happy with the curve, it's missing that certain simplicity of the Treo. And call me simple, but the Treo still got the job done, but with a simple and quick interface.

I did get tired of the Treo 700p, and being a gadget lover, needed something new to play with. This is the reason I bought the Curve, but, I will be getting the next Palm OS as soon as it's launched...as long as it's not in a Centro form factor.
    I'm surprised people think the Palm OS is simpler than BB's. BB worked fully out of the box right away without having to install any apps, unlike both palm OS and WM. It may need a new calender app, but not too much more is needed to do business out of the box.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    IMAP folders... enough said. When blackberry can handle those, I'm sold.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Bubba, the Palm OS does rather well and once configured, does very well. The ONLY reason I went with the 800 is multi-tasking - NO OTHER REASON. I use my device for hours at a time and just got tired of opening up programs to do something. WM does not give me a call recorder. Palm OS offers applications that cannot be beat in the WM world. Yes the WM OS is pretty and has whistles and bells, but bubba, you gotta work to get it "pretty."

Nothing comes close to ChatterEmail, 2Day, TakePhone, DateBook6 and other applications. Call Recording is possible with the Treo, not WM. DTG is by far much, much better than the Office suite with WM. More a matter of preferences. My wife has had 2 Blackberries and when she got my left over 700P, she left the BB without a thought. She now has a Centro and enjoys it immensely. I have had a total of 4 WM devices and the only one I really like is the 800W - the others...I never liked them enough to keep them for more than a week or so.

To close, OLD and dead, but not ineffective or bad. I actually prefer the Centro way over the 800 in every way except, again, the multi-tasking.

Last edited by bclinger; 08/14/2008 at 08:56 PM.
    LMAO. I love my Curve and will never go back to Treo. 9 months and 0 resets. Try that with Palm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast