Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    For those lucky folks who already own the new Sony Clie N710C (or those of you who just know the answers), I have a couple questions for you:

    [list=1][*]Do you use the Audio player functionality? (which is why you would get the 710, isn't it?)[*]If Yes, do you use ATRAC3 or MP3? (probably a dumb question)[*]How is battery life with the audio application? Is it close to Sony's claims? Is that acceptable?[*]Does it comes with an application that can read JPEG files directly off of an MS from a Sony digital camera?[*]How good/bad is the included flip cover?[*]Have you purchased a different case for your Clie?[/list=1]

    Now I'm deliriously tired and want to get up early to head on out to the Toronto 2008 Olympic Announcement party in the morning. Go Toronto!

    Thanks for your help!
  2. #2  
    [list=1][*]Yes[*]MP3 - Dumb Question[*]Battery life has been fine. I haven't tried to use it for more than an hour or so, and the thing lives in its cradle when I'm at work or at home (except when in use), so it is always fully charged.[*]Yes, but it sucks. No zoom and Pan, so the view is just slightly better than the preview on the camera. I'm waiting for a hi-res replacement.[*]Tolerable[*]No, I'm waiting for the Vaja case. They are the best.[/list=1]
    Sorry about the Olympics
  3. #3  
    In terms of mp3 vs ATRAC, you may want to check out this post at Palm blvd.
    http://www.palmblvd.com/boards/Sony-...sages/450.html

    chaz
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    [list=1][*]Yes[*]MP3 - Dumb Question[*]Battery life has been fine. I haven't tried to use it for more than an hour or so, and the thing lives in its cradle when I'm at work or at home (except when in use), so it is always fully charged.[*]Yes, but it sucks. No zoom and Pan, so the view is just slightly better than the preview on the camera. I'm waiting for a hi-res replacement.[*]Tolerable[*]No, I'm waiting for the Vaja case. They are the best.[/list=1]
    [list=1][*]I'm debating between the 710 or 610. The audio player is intriguing... It would let me shed one device in my commute.[*]I'm sorry. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. I'm a dumbass. [*]Sounds acceptable, probably how I would use it too. How's the remote? Does the lack of playlists vex you?[*]That blows. I was hoping for something like PiViewer that comes with the MemPlug Springboard module. That app lets you view images as big as 5 megapixel with support for zooming, panning, the works...[*]Guess I'd need to replace it eventually. It looks chintzy. Does anything hold it closed?[*]Those are the play-through style cases from Argentina, right? How much do they cost?[/list=1]

    Sorry about the Olympics
    That's ok. Damn dumbass mayor cost us the Olympics with that "boiling in a pot" remark about visiting Africa. Jerkstore...
  5. #5  
    I use the MP3 player occasionally (for MP#s only), but I'd use it a lot more often if Sony hadn't made the first stretch of wire - from the left earbud to the remote - too short to stick the remote on a pants pocket or belt loop. I don't wear shirts with pockets like that fashion model on the SonyStyle web site, and even if I did, That's one too many wires for me to wear across my chest in public.

    Batterly life seems fine, considering the brightness of the screen. I've heard you can add two hours by bringing it to half-brightness. Like previous posters, mine never goes more than a day without hitting its cradle anyhow. One cool feature is the power adapter, which can dismount from to cradle, and plug directly into the CLIE on-the-go.

    I was sorely disappointed at how shabby my CyberShot (.dsc) files looked on the image viewer. IMO, the picture isn't nearly as good as the previewing ability of the cameras. Hopefully they (or somebody) will write something better soon. On the upside, the image software for the desktop is pretty straightforward, and handles the syncing for you... at least on a PC. Hopefully the guy who does Graphic Converter for Mac will add the Sony format as an export option soon.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by everything's a blur
    I'm debating between the 710 or 610. The audio player is intriguing... It would let me shed one device in my commute.
    Yep.
    I'm sorry. I don't know what the heck I was thinking. I'm a dumbass.
    cwestergard posted a link about using ATRAC audio. That might be legitimate for some people, since evidently the size is signifigantly smaller for similar quality, but I use the same sticks in my Clie and my digital camera. They are video sticks, not MG sticks for ATRAC. Also, I have about 150 albums that I have ripped to MP3 at 150Kb/sec. I don't want to convert them to a different format to use them.
    Sounds acceptable, probably how I would use it too. How's the remote? Does the lack of playlists vex you?
    The remote is fine. For me, the playlist is the songs that I put onto the stick. If I wanted a different set of songs, I would copy different songs or use a different stick.
    That blows. I was hoping for something like PiViewer that comes with the MemPlug Springboard module. That app lets you view images as big as 5 megapixel with support for zooming, panning, the works...
    Yeah it does. This is one of the very few things about the 710 that I have been disappointed about.
    Guess I'd need to replace it eventually. It looks chintzy. Does anything hold it closed?
    Gravity
    Those are the play-through style cases from Argentina, right? How much do they cost?
    They are in the range of $50 - $80. Kinda expensive, but they are the best cases that I have ever seen.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by visormongrel
    Batterly life seems fine, considering the brightness of the screen. I've heard you can add two hours by bringing it to half-brightness. Like previous posters, mine never goes more than a day without hitting its cradle anyhow. One cool feature is the power adapter, which can dismount from to cradle, and plug directly into the CLIE on-the-go.
    If you are just listening to music and not using the PDA functions. Hit the Hold button (under the jog dial). This will turn off the display altogether and give you some serious battery life.
  8. #8  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by everything's a blur
    [B]For those lucky folks who already own the new Sony Clie N710C (or those of you who just know the answers), I have a couple questions for you:

    Do you use the Audio player functionality??)
    It is why I bought the 710 I have been using it everyday during my commute to work. This the sound quality is excellent.


    If Yes, do you use ATRAC3 or MP3? (probably a dumb question)
    MP3s all the way baby!!!


    How is battery life with the audio application? Is it close to Sony's claims? Is that acceptable?
    The battery performs very well. You could probably get 8 to 10 hours with the screen off.


    Does it comes with an application that can read JPEG files directly off of an MS from a Sony digital camera?
    You can read photos from just about any memory enable devices (i.e.; digital camcorder & digital camera) via PG Pocket which comes pre-installed on the device. Also there are applications that allow you to view other file formats as well. "VMB" for example allows you to read 8bit color .bmp (bitmap) files. All I have to do is drag and drop the photos to my memory stick an I can view them on the gorgeous 320x320 display.

    No real Jpeg viewing yet, but I am certain there will be an app that will read standard .jpg files in the very near future.


    How good/bad is the included flip cover?
    The flip cover isn't all that great but it isn't so bad. It does get in the way at times because you can't remove/install the stylus when the cover is flipped. Some nice cases are coming in the very near future. I've seen a few that were released in China and man do they look sweet.


    Have you purchased a different case for your Clie?
    Not yet. I might get the carrying case made by Sony.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/micros/clie...ies/index.html
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    cwestergard posted a link about using ATRAC audio. That might be legitimate for some people, since evidently the size is signifigantly smaller for similar quality, but I use the same sticks in my Clie and my digital camera. They are video sticks, not MG sticks for ATRAC. Also, I have about 150 albums that I have ripped to MP3 at 150Kb/sec. I don't want to convert them to a different format to use them.
    Point well taken. I tried out the WMA support of my Rio Volt (which I sold and made a few bucks on; just too big to lug around with my VDx, and cell phone), and was impressed with the quality of sound at 64 kbps and 96 kbps, but there's no way I'm going to waste my time and hard drive space to convert all of my files into another format.

    I've been using Sony MiniDiscs for a couple of years now, so I'm familiar with ATRAC compression in general. Sound quality is excellent, though the theory behind it is very similar to MP3.

    Originally posted by bradhaak
    The remote is fine. For me, the playlist is the songs that I put onto the stick. If I wanted a different set of songs, I would copy different songs or use a different stick.
    I wonder if my Sony remote from my MD walkman will work with the Clie... The connectors look the same from what I can see online. I should snap a picture of it to show you... It would be awesome if it did, but I doubt the Clie would support the LCD on the remote control (though it would be really really really cool if it did).

    Originally posted by bradhaak
    Yeah it does. This is one of the very few things about the 710 that I have been disappointed about.
    I got this link from a thread on the Software forum. Apparently it can read JPEG files directly, and VFS is coming in the next beta.

    PalmJPG
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    It is why I bought the 710 I have been using it everyday during my commute to work. This the sound quality is excellent.

    MP3s all the way baby!!!
    What size of MemoryStick do you use; 128 MB?


    Originally posted by mikedemo
    The battery performs very well. You could probably get 8 to 10 hours with the screen off.
    That's pretty darn good. I doubt I'd be playing MP3s that long. My typical commute to school is about an hour each way, plus I take notes with my Visor on a Stowaway, maybe three to four hours on my average day (with frequent auto-offs). I should have any problems with power should I? I assume you charge it everyday, if not frequently throughout the day, correct?



    Originally posted by mikedemo
    No real Jpeg viewing yet, but I am certain there will be an app that will read standard .jpg files in the very near future.
    Supposedly a new beta of PalmJPG is due very soon and will support VFS. I hope this is good enough...
    PalmJPG

    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Not yet. I might get the carrying case made by Sony.
    Which one were you thinking of getting (there are only two...)? I happen to like the Classic Flip case (with a snap closure!). I had one for my old PalmPilot Pro and loved how useful it was, but hated how it had a Velcro closure (everyone in a room knows when I'm taking it out); don't care much for using Velcro to attach it either, but I guess I'll live. Offers a decent amount of protection.
  11. #11  
    Theres an Aluminum case out. Check this link.

    http://ikebukuro.cool.ne.jp/jl1bmw/...flip/cover.html
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  12. #12  
    I think there's something wrong with your link...
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    I think there's something wrong with your link...
    I think they remove the picture. Oh well sorry. It was basically an aluminum lid and it flipped up like a Palm IIIxe lid.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by everything's a blur
    For those lucky folks who already own the new Sony Clie N710C (or those of you who just know the answers), I have a couple questions for you:

    [list=1][*]Do you use the Audio player functionality? (which is why you would get the 710, isn't it?)[*]If Yes, do you use ATRAC3 or MP3? (probably a dumb question)[*]How is battery life with the audio application? Is it close to Sony's claims? Is that acceptable?[*]Does it comes with an application that can read JPEG files directly off of an MS from a Sony digital camera?[*]How good/bad is the included flip cover?[*]Have you purchased a different case for your Clie?[/list=1]

    Now I'm deliriously tired and want to get up early to head on out to the Toronto 2008 Olympic Announcement party in the morning. Go Toronto!


    Thanks for your help!

    1. Somewhat, off and on
    2. Good battery Life
    3. Dont know
    4. okay
    5. I purchased a bodyglove palm Vx case, works pretty well (its durable)
  15. #15  
    I think this is the palm III type flip case you guys are talking about....it seems awesome....I believe you have to get it from Dave Designs, they have to custom make it as I've heard, havent talk to them about it yet though....anyone wanna try???

    http://ikebukuro.cool.ne.jp/jl1bmw/h...lip/cover.html

    Its all in japanese, but thats okay....as for Dave Design, their site is here...

    http://www.davedesign.com

    Hope this helps you guys in the quest for a case!!!

    Nelson
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  16. #16  
    Actually the flip cover is not from Dave Design. The owner of the Clie made it himself. The page describes material & instructions for making it, but it requires special tools(lathe etc.).
    Taki
    <!-- Begin UMSB Link --><A HREF="http://www.ad-visor.net/UMSB/"><IMG SRC="http://www.ad-visor.net/image/UMSB.gif"ALT="UMSB"BORDER=0></a><!-- End UMSB Link -->
  17. #17  
    well, I believe I've heard from people that Dave can make a similar cover for the clie. he's making one for a Palm III series as he's made actualy entire case replacements. if he can do that, he can make a flip case for the clie we'll see...i think i'll inquire to him about it, thanks for the info...

    Nelson
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  18. #18  
    i think i'll inquire to him
    I'm switching from Prism to N610, and I'll be interested in a metal flip cover, too. Let me know what he says.
    Taki
    <!-- Begin UMSB Link --><A HREF="http://www.ad-visor.net/UMSB/"><IMG SRC="http://www.ad-visor.net/image/UMSB.gif"ALT="UMSB"BORDER=0></a><!-- End UMSB Link -->

Posting Permissions