Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Heh...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    The irony is these guys are hacking the lamest programs ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

I have about twenty apps loaded on my iPhone. I would say 10 are incredible, 3 are very good, the others can use improvement.

Lots of new apps every day.

I was traveling the last few days. It was really nice to be notified of new updates for my apps, and be able to install them right on the device.
  4.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I was traveling the last few days. It was really nice to be notified of new updates for my apps, and be able to install them right on the device.
    Pity you cant do that for podcasts

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Pity you cant do that for podcasts

Surur
    Ok, but I was talking about apps. I'm not much into podcasts.
    I have about twenty apps loaded on my iPhone. I would say 10 are incredible, 3 are very good, the others can use improvement.

Lots of new apps every day.

Glad you are getting some good use out of the new apps...so far all the ones I was hoping would improve my phone have been not-so-great. Lots of "tie in to web service" apps, lots of "hey, I can make a quick buck with this" apps, and iTunes handles apps in a truly bizarre way when you sync. Apparently my deleting an app on the phone means i immediately wanted it back when I synced. Clearly.

The app store is very cool as an easy to use portal to a software store, but the apps themselves still need quite a bit of maturing. What's really got me scratching my head is the total lack of decent apps in certain areas: the fitness trackers are expensive, dreadful, or don't really track workouts well. The to-dos that I've tried have all been underpowered or tied heavily into someone's web service, which I'm not terribly interested in. So far the only app that really blows me away is the ereader app, and that's only because the screen is so damn good for reading ebooks.

Hopefully it will mature with time...but I'm honestly thinking about jumping to a more developed platform for a generation or so, because software 2.0 and the app store have really just not brought anything "new" to the table for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
    Glad you are getting some good use out of the new apps...so far all the ones I was hoping would improve my phone have been not-so-great. Lots of "tie in to web service" apps, lots of "hey, I can make a quick buck with this" apps, and iTunes handles apps in a truly bizarre way when you sync. Apparently my deleting an app on the phone means i immediately wanted it back when I synced. Clearly.

The app store is very cool as an easy to use portal to a software store, but the apps themselves still need quite a bit of maturing. What's really got me scratching my head is the total lack of decent apps in certain areas: the fitness trackers are expensive, dreadful, or don't really track workouts well. The to-dos that I've tried have all been underpowered or tied heavily into someone's web service, which I'm not terribly interested in. So far the only app that really blows me away is the ereader app, and that's only because the screen is so damn good for reading ebooks.

Hopefully it will mature with time...but I'm honestly thinking about jumping to a more developed platform for a generation or so, because software 2.0 and the app store have really just not brought anything "new" to the table for me.
    The app store has been opened for a whopping two weeks. Give it some time. Here are some of my favorites.........

I use "Things" for a task list and I really like it a lot. Syncing with the desktop version (MAC only) will be released in august. Omnifocus is another very good task program. There is no way you could consider either of these to be underpowerd. $9.99

I use SplashID to keep track of all of my passwords. It syncs over wifi with the desktop version. $9.99 Ewallet and 1password (free) are other great alternatives.

I use Bloomberg to keep track of all of my stocks and financial news. Very good program. FREE

I use MLB at Bat to keep up with my beloved NY Mets and other baseball scores. Up to the minute video highlights is the real showstopper here. Incredible app for any baseball fan. $4.99

I use AIM to do my IMing with my friends and family. Its a good app, but it will really shine when backround processing of incoming messages becomes available in september. FREE

I use Recorder to make quick voice notes. I can even email them to somebody. $.99 Good alternative is Note2self.

I use MochaVNC to VNC into my desktops when I'm not in the office. I really like this app, and is very useful. There is a free version and a pro version for $5.99

I use Wordpress to update the blog that my family uses to keep in touch with each other. Cool app. FREE

Throw in some games like Super monkey ball, texas holdem, and others.
  8.    #9  
    Ignoring the utility of the app store, this development is interesting because it will make jailbreaking even more attractive. Not only will you get more capable apps, but you can get the high profile pay apps for free also. The iPhone could have a huge piracy problem on his hands, especially with installer app making installing cracked apps as easy as buying them.

Surur
    Ignoring the utility of the app store, this development is interesting because it will make jailbreaking even more attractive. Not only will you get more capable apps, but you can get the high profile pay apps for free also. The iPhone could have a huge piracy problem on his hands, especially with installer app making installing cracked apps as easy as buying them.

Surur

I can walk into a supermarket and start stealing food. I can get high profile food for free. Doesn't mean I'm going to. I think itunes has shown that if you give people an easy way to pay for and receive a product (music or apps), people will be less willing to steal. There will always be those that choose stealing though. I will gladly pay for a good app.
    The iPhone could have a huge piracy problem on his hands, especially with installer app making installing cracked apps as easy as buying them.
    Wouldn't this already be the case for music on the iPod and iPhone if it were true? While I'm sure there's some music/video piracy, their sales rates point toward a lot of peeps buying the products legitimately.
  11.    #12  
    Wouldn't this already be the case for music on the iPod and iPhone if it were true? While I'm sure there's some music/video piracy, their sales rates point toward a lot of peeps buying the products legitimately.
    I can walk into a supermarket and start stealing food. I can get high profile food for free. Doesn't mean I'm going to. I think itunes has shown that if you give people an easy way to pay for and receive a product (music or apps), people will be less willing to steal. There will always be those that choose stealing though. I will gladly pay for a good app.
    With the chances of being caught being much much lower than shoplifitng, I dont think your analogy works. And of course music piracy is very very prevalent. I believe only a small portion of music on most ipods are bought from Apple, and also the majority of music owned by young people are pirated.

http://www.techshout.com/general/200...egal-research/

The point however is that Apple, despite fairplay, has done nothing to protect their developers, and are actively working against them protecting themselves. Also the promise of glitch-free, virus-free shovelware free platform has essentially come to nothing.

Surur
    Mobileman - Let's Go Mets! They better get a corner outfielder, though.

I dislike that mlb at-bat doesn't do pitch-by-pitch (like, say, wap.mlb.com). Frankly, what i'd really love is just to be able to stream mlb.tv.

Anyway, one of the issues on the sucky apps is that us developers got the "final" OS only a couple of weeks before it all went live, and the process we go through to update our apps on the store is... um... let's just say not moving as fast as I'd like. Of course, it was also hard to run beta test programs when we couldn't distribute our stuff more-or-less at-will to guinea pigs.

Surur - most of my filled-up ipod is music not bought from apple, but, rather, ripped CDs. Which is probably fair use (though it hasn't been tested in the U.S. yet). I don't think most people steal most of their music.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    Mobileman - Let's Go Mets! They better get a corner outfielder, though.

I dislike that mlb at-bat doesn't do pitch-by-pitch (like, say, wap.mlb.com). Frankly, what i'd really love is just to be able to stream mlb.tv.
    Yeah, the mlb app could use pitch by pitch, by I just click on the little globe icon next to the score, and that takes me to the wap site. With the yankees making a lot of trades, my mets better do something. I would take Manny and be happy.

Surur, the iPhone might have its problem with piracy, but you of all people should know that it will always pale in comparison to the rampant stealing that goes on with WM software. The net is filled with pirated WM applications.

Cmaier, I see you are not the only developer complaining about the update system. On another subject, apple needs to do something with the reviews in the app store. Without any demos, these reviews are neccessary. However, they are often filled with posts from people that have never owned or used the software.
    @mobileman - yeah, i had one guy send me an expletive-filled email, threatening to post a bad review. I told him to go for it, and he did. There's no way for developers to respond, and the review mechanism is really intended for music, not software.

Oh, and they are MY Mets, not yours.
  15.    #16  
    Surur, the iPhone might have its problem with piracy, but you of all people should know that it will always pale in comparison to the rampant stealing that goes on with WM software. The net is filled with pirated WM applications.
    Having the iPhone just as good as WM is not what Jobs promised, but its something that we hear a lot these days.

Surur
    Having the iPhone just as good as WM is not what Jobs promised, but its something that we hear a lot these days.

Surur
    "just as good" are your words, not mine or Steve Jobs.

Jailbreaking an iPhone and using ssh to load stolen apps will never be as prevalent to the torrent and warez sites loaded with WM software.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    "just as good" are your words, not mine or Steve Jobs.

Jailbreaking an iPhone and using ssh to load stolen apps will never be as prevalent to the torrent and warez sites loaded with WM software.
    Why do you argue with Surur? Like talking to a brick wall. His WM fanboy rants are in EVERY SINGLE FORUM ON THE INTERNET. It's quite amazing actually....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Why do you argue with Surur? Like talking to a brick wall. His WM fanboy rants are in EVERY SINGLE FORUM ON THE INTERNET. It's quite amazing actually....
    Yep... Downright impressive.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    The link surur posted seems to be broken but judging by the URL they've cracked Super Monkey Ball, which I certainly wouldn't call lame. Gorgeous, addictive, challenging, great fun, and damn good value at $10 is what I'd call it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast