Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I've got the Treo 800w and a BB curve. IMHO there is no comparison, the Treo 800w is just way beyond my BB 8310.
    Is there anybody else out there using BOTH the Treo 800w AND a BB Curve, that prefers their BB Curve?
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    What the 8330 Sprint Curve has over your 800w,
    70% better battery life
    Brighter screen.
    Better phone.
    Better speaker.
    Led blink Color control
    Looks so darn pretty
    I use both and I think slingbox has summarized the first things that come to mind quote well. The last item, is true but not an issue for me.
    I mean if you prefer the BB I'm not mad at you, but let me tell you my take..
    I hope not lol I'm not mad at you for your 800w investment

I totally agree with you about the batter life, but honestly I'm never in a position where the Treo 800w's battery life is an issue for me. I've always got a means to keep it charged. But if battery life is a real issue for anyone, I hear turning off the GPS functionality (to emergency only) helps..
    Battery life was issue for me in trial and by looking at this forum many others as well.On my WX I would use GPS TomTom all day , 2-3 hours of phone calls and data for over an hour hehe I did a lot of mort play from WX browser.
    My WX would make it through the day. with 5 - 7 % left on batt.

On my short Trial of 800w I found batt life to shrink by 60% when making 30min of phone calls, 30 min of web browsing rev A , 30 min Wifi , 30 min of Tela-nav and and some play opening up stock apps .
    In my opinion that is unsatisfactory ....If it works for you..it just does

I've got no issues with screen brightness, perhaps you should have adjusted the settings? Also, most BB backgrounds are white, perhaps you should have tried changing backgrounds and color arrangements if it was an issue for you..
    That's good you have no issues with screen brightness but I did.I found screen to be very dim at highest setting and uncomfortable to view in day light.
    When it comes to BB background's hmm you lost me there...Coming from WX backgrounds are about the same.

Both as phones work equally as well for me..
    I found 800w phone to be worse then WX..Don't get me wrong , I was happy with WX but many of my customers would always let me know they heard everything in back round with echo 50% of the time so BT was my fix .

No issues with speaker for me..
    I found when Speaker hit 70% volume that crackle was present.

I could care less about the LED color .
    I do big time ! .
    Many TC members do as well seen by 3000 downloads of Treo alert.
    Led colors let you know Email, SMS , Vmail , Miss Call at a glance whats pending so you can save batt life not having to power up screen.
    I'm sure there will be a few that will say " leds blinking your using up Battery so why not turn on screen" Hannip will disagree with you

I'm about features, not looks.
    I'm about both..The basics have to work in order for the rest to be worthy of my time and then device look comes into play

I'm sure you know that upload speeds rev0 /revA are darn close so revA web pages open up a little faster which is very important to you it seems.
    Now onto wifi,
    Many Sprint users always have the argument "we have evdo why would we need wifi" I believe that to be true.
    If your locked up in a building all day were EVDO data signal is low then you got to pray that there is open wifi network available .Unfortunately for 800W battery life comes into play.Wifi will suck the life out of your battery thus I see wifi on 800w to be over rated.

How much more is your company paying in licensing fees for BB mail sync services? (That is, if your company has it's own Exchange server.)
    I can open MS Word documents e-mailed to me on my Treo 800w in Word Mobile, while the BB has a hack program..
    I'm a small business owner ,BB server pushes Gmail so BB data plan is all that's needed which cost 15 bucs more then 800w data plan..I'm on Simple everything so no worries
    hmm hacks I LOVE THEM
    Go to mort forums and use some

Yea if they want to drain more of their company's bottom line in BB licensing fees, just so they can keep up with their e-mail and Outlook appointments ..
    Or my battery could go dead and I could miss a phone call or email to close a big money deal...I don't have to worry about that

And even more if you need the BB to link to a corporate in-house exchange server. Because you'll need BES and the licenses for it..
    good and bad on both OSs .If you put them on the bad scale WM wins

I don't have any continual resets. I think you're letting a vocal minority sway you on that claim..
    I didn't have any resets during my trial but from past WM use Ive found them to be a part of wM ppc life.Ive came across a few reads of 800w playing that WM roll.
    WM os has many kinks....No OS is perfect yet micro has always slacked on handheld.

What? So because the Treo 800w has a SUPERIOR screen it's no big deal because legacy applications can't take full advantage of it? ..
    A little promo advertising
    Superior is a funny word , As seen in my signature I'm a big PS3 fan and with that came talk " it has no games so XBOX is better" which is untrue.
    PS3 runs a cell processor which gives better graphic , more sound options and use of disk that hold more information.
    The games have arived and PS3 is selling more units around the world then Xbox.
    Now to the Screen on the 800w,
    Your 800w does have a better screen in theory but lacks software that will come yet screen brightness put a big dent in the word superior.

That's like saying don't buy a wide screen HDTV, because most stations don't broadcast in HD . WM has way more apps even apart from any screen resolution matters, we're not comparing 2 WM devices. And more applications, means more applications that are available for business use ..
    Apps will come yet 800w screen brightness want!
    New standerds always take a beaten at the beginning but we are in the PPC world.
    Many ppc users buy new devices every couple months so waiting for apps is a wast of time...They wont there apps now!

I'm just not having any "dim" issues like you, but yea the plastic stylus is lame. Keep in mind, all other Treos already have a multitude of replacement styli available and I'm sure it will be no different for the Treo 800w in the very near future. And a touch screen with a lame stylus is better than no touch screen ..
    800w faults and fixes

800w Battery = Seido will release extended more then likly ..how much more battery life will be given ,who knows but it will look pretty darn ugly, (More Money)

Screen brightness = No fix ,(You paid for it)

Styles = like you said aftermarket is present, (More money)

Phone = sucks , (You paid for it)

GPS = A little niche but mort will fix that , (The way it should be )

When it comes to touch screen , I used them for many years , going to BB trackball was a blessing.
    Trackball saves so much time getting to what you need thus one hand operation comes with ease.

I totally disagree with you there. My Treo 800w's GPS works great. I've seen some people complain, but that's not my Treo 800w..
    It will really work after hannip able to put more time in it but then ask yourself why palm didn't have it the way it should be out of the box.

I think I already talked about those other things you mentioned later in your comment. But hey, if it works for you "slingbox" I guess you never need to hook into a "slingbox" while on a business trip to catch a game .
    lol do some research but dont use your 800w browser..your battery may go dead
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/27/2008 at 10:20 AM.
    Extra server, extra network, extra costs with BES.

BIS is pretty nice, but does not have the same feature sets as a WM/Exchange.

As for all the other objections- it would be just as easy to shoot down the BB. No touchscreen, no native document support (on a business device???lol) single mailbox, an underlying carrier network that needs to be traversed which fails every 12-18 months, lack of 3rd party apps, etc,etc.

We could go back and forth all day. However, the bottom line is that RIM is not the only one doing push email anymore. Microsoft continues to dominate the enterprise market with exchange and SBS and it is only a matter of time before people start to realize that windows mobile devices will talk to exchange natively for less $.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    You are correct ,we could go back and forth all day.
    Im just laying out the basics every ppc should have yet Palm/WM slacked big time.
    Another basic would be voice mail Count.
    BB curve has a icon that gives you count on how many voice mails you have in mailbox.
    Is it that hard for Palm /WM mobile to make such alert available?...It shouldn't be.
    Micro has neglected basic functions... then we have a 800w battery that cant live up to the devices strength is unacceptable in my book.

If Palm would of got there act together I would be a 800w owner.It was hard to move away from WM yet it had to be done in order for me to have a dependable device .

Then we have Codyppc going Blackberry...that should be a sign WM and Palm that they screwed up big time.
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/27/2008 at 09:53 AM.
    Voicemail count was a sprint thing which has been updated- voicemail count is fully functional with the 800 and even 700wx now.

If Palm would of got there act together I would be a 800w owner.It was hard to move away from WM yet it had to be done in order for me to have a dependable device .

Then we have Codyppc going Blackberry...that should be a sign WM and Palm that they screwed up big time.
    You guys have been around long enough to know that these things are never perfect out of the box. The 800 has been out for 2 weeks- lets talk again in 60 days...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    Voicemail count was a sprint thing which has been updated- voicemail count is fully functional with the 800 and even 700wx now. ...
    My bust

Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    You guys have been around long enough to know that these things are never perfect out of the box. The 800 has been out for 2 weeks- lets talk again in 60 days...
    sounds good
    Big deal? Who is Codyppc?
    keep your 800w this is the best pda on market
    and i read alot of software fixes are coming soon, they wanted to for once get it to market to help sprint.
    I want to play too!

The 800w is a wonderful phone with the exception of the battery but then which of us would want them to make the phone bigger to get a bigger battery? I wouldn't.
    I second that. I love my 800w. Can't imagine having another phone. I've never seen the appeal of blackberrys or the blackberry os. We live in a microsoft world, period. Sure, Mac is sexy and all, but at the end of the day, aside from the music industry, money is made with stuff like Excel and Powerpoint.

The only gripe I have is the flimsy stylus. Huge step back from the steel one that came with the 700wx. Screen is fine, every app I want, I have. The GPS off thing totally saves battery life. You can keep your wackberry.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    Speaking of update a mod should update the tittle of this thread 800w vs. Curve. I think it's a little funny that OP started this thread especially with the that picture.
    i thought it was funny too. what you people need to remember is my post count didn't start with this thread. i love treos and was really wanting this 800w. i still may. i just didn't get it the first day like every other device that comes out on sprint network.

this was suppose to be a wallpaper thread. i dont know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    You guys and your Treo 800w envy. lol
    you got me.

Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Big deal? Who is Codyppc?
    no body

Quote Originally Posted by scottad1972 View Post
    keep your 800w this is the best pda on market
    and i read alot of software fixes are coming soon, they wanted to for once get it to market to help sprint.
    if there were some fixes i would get it. heck i may get it anyway.

i have yet to play with one. the one i wanted to play with in the sprint store, broke right before i got there.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    this was suppose to be a wallpaper thread. i dont know what happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post

i saw the this and it made me think of 800w.

i wish it wasn't so broken. i'd have one for sure.

cody
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 07/27/2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker View Post
    Speaking of update a mod should update the tittle of this thread 800w vs. Curve. I think it's a little funny that OP started this thread especially with the that picture.
    <Updated and moved>
    First I want to thank the TreoCentral.com admins from moving this comment thread OUT of the 800w section, because it's nothing more than a rant from non-Treo 800w owners. I never ever understood the logic in just running into a forum for a device you DON'T own, just to harp. If you don't like something, be happy with what you have. I'm not going over to any BB forums to harp about what I dislike about BB/RIM. And I've got both.

I'm not pressed about cross-platform ranting, so this will be my last comment, given I spend my time talking Treo 800w with we who purchased an 800w because that's what we wanted and like.

But a few words for my buddy slingbox. I'm not going to repeat myself on anything I already addressed.

Wifi will suck the life out of your battery thus I see wifi on 800w to be over rated.
    As I mentioned, battery is not an issue for me and personally. I refused to purchase another Treo after the 650 till a Treo was made with Window Mobile, EVDO and WiFi. (GPS is sweet too and a car charger removes any battery concerns.) Here's why it's a good thing the Treo 800w has WiFi built in, although EVDO Rev. A is good, nothing beats a really good WiFi connection. For things including the SLINGBOX the faster the connection the better. Although the 800w eats battery quickly, it is a testament to the power of the device, the 800w is powerful. So with WiFI it can make much better use of the faster connection than say a...Blackberry.

This is also something to consider if one needs to remote into a server to do some admin work on it.

Trackball saves so much time getting to what you need thus one hand operation comes with ease.
    The trackball on the BB is neat, but it does not replace the benefit of a touch screen, also the nav tool Palm actually has benefits that make it SUPERIOR to a trackball. Here's an example, in my BB, I can get over 100 alert e-mails in a night if some servers are acting up and firing off alerts. (You who use tools like MOM [MS Operations Manager] or Whats Up Gold know what I'm saying.) When I open my BB for mail it starts at the bottom of those 100 alerts. If I want to scroll up past those 100 messages or up to a particular one I need to keep spinning and spinning and spinning that trackball till my thumb hurts! With the Treo 800w, I just hold the navigation tool upward and it FLIES upward through messages super fast without me having to continually motion my thumb. So the Treo 800w is easier for scrolling lots of e-mails or a long web page.

Regarding the Slingplayer, I hear that the mobile player for the BB is coming...someday...announced, but still not ready.
    First I want to thank the TreoCentral.com admins from moving this comment thread OUT of the 800w section, because it's nothing more than a rant from non-Treo 800w owners. I never ever understood the logic in just running into a forum for a device you DON'T own, just to harp. If you don't like something, be happy with what you have. I'm not going over to any BB forums to harp about what I dislike about BB/RIM. And I've got both..
    I'm not on a rant...just killing some time discussing my 800w test drive .

I'm not pressed about cross-platform ranting, so this will be my last comment, given I spend my time talking Treo 800w with we who purchased an 800w because that's what we wanted and like..
    My self as well

But a few words for my buddy slingbox. I'm not going to repeat myself on anything I already addressed..

As I mentioned, battery is not an issue for me and personally. I refused to purchase another Treo after the 650 till a Treo was made with Window Mobile, EVDO and WiFi. (GPS is sweet too and a car charger removes any battery concerns.) Here's why it's a good thing the Treo 800w has WiFi built in, although EVDO Rev. A is good, nothing beats a really good WiFi connection. For things including the SLINGBOX the faster the connection the better.
    Although the 800w eats battery quickly, it is a testament to the power of the device, the 800w is powerful. So with WiFI it can make much better use of the faster connection than say a...Blackberry.
    You are correct ,800w does eat battery up and thats my point.Its a very powerful device yet the battery is not up to the job.Palm took a short cut throwing Centro battery in 800w and they are paying for it in device performance thus many are returning.
    I'm not trying to rag on your device , I'm just laying out the facts.
    Do me this favor..Crank up SLINGBOX on wifi and share how long your battery last..the picture might look good yet you will only be viewing for a short time and you know why...your just finding fact hard to except.

The trackball on the BB is neat, but it does not replace the benefit of a touch screen, also the nav tool Palm actually has benefits that make it SUPERIOR to a trackball. Here's an example, in my BB, I can get over 100 alert e-mails in a night if some servers are acting up and firing off alerts. (You who use tools like MOM [MS Operations Manager] or Whats Up Gold know what I'm saying.) When I open my BB for mail it starts at the bottom of those 100 alerts. If I want to scroll up past those 100 messages or up to a particular one I need to keep spinning and spinning and spinning that trackball till my thumb hurts! With the Treo 800w, I just hold the navigation tool upward and it FLIES upward through messages super fast without me having to continually motion my thumb. So the Treo 800w is easier for scrolling lots of e-mails or a long web page..
    Darnell , I don't know how long you owned the Curve or if you still do but here's a trick.
    When you have ..lets say 100 messages-Alerts , don't put your thumb on track ball.

To scroll down = push [Space] key
    To scroll up = Push [Cap] key Then [Space] key
    Using steps above your viewing 10 messages at time which is much faster then trackball or even pulling out a stylist..if the Curve needed one

Regarding the Slingplayer, I hear that the mobile player for the BB is coming...someday...announced, but still not ready.
    September so they say

PS
    Lets all get along
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/28/2008 at 03:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=robber;1471808]Extra server, extra network, extra costs with BES.

no native document support (on a business device???lol)

Oh wait, WM6.1 can't open a password protected file! On a business device?...you need a third party program to do that. ActiveSync doesn't use the whole Outlook record, so you need a third party program and maybe some extra hardware to keep two PC's in sync. (e.g. an old Palm Zire and KeySuite)

WM6.1 may be better, but it is a continual dissappointment as well
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I'm still undecided: today the battery life indicator was replaced by an icon to control the volume. I called sprint; they suggested a soft reset, and if that doesn't work, a hard reset. Soft did it.
    As a general rule, i'd do a reset before calling anyone with problems like that or similar. You'd be surprised how many times those words "turn it off and turn it on" fixes a lot of things and yet customers won't have done it.
    I'm not on a rant...just killing some time discussing my 800w test drive .
    You test the Treo 800w for three hours and call that a test drive?

Guess if you used it for 6 hours you could write a "detailed" review.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    This is kind of like watching University of Louisville and Kentucky fans argue over who has the best football team

Think of me with the iphone as USC. :P
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast