1.    #1  
    I've had a Treo (650 and now currently 680) for several years, but it's showing it's age.

I've been keeping my eye open for a phone that meets the following requirements:

1. Must support 3G data (I've done edge, time for faster)
    2. Must support Installing 3rd party apps
    3. Must have a SSH app available
    4. Must have SplashID or equivalent available
    5. Must be able to tether laptop (either USB or Bluetooth DUN)
    6. Must be able to sync with Mac OS (and/or Linux) contacts & calendar
    7. Would like bluetooth stereo audio
    8. Would like the ability to play Audio and Video

So with those requirements I looked at current devices and here is what I found:

1. Palm Centro = All the above are met, but would require going to Verizon and locked phones. Also, Palm OS is a little on the old side, but does get the job done.

2. iPhone 3G = Not bad, but lacks #3 and #5 right now as deal breakers. And it also lacks #7. Just worried that it's too locked down for my tastes. It does have excellent Audio/Video playback and even a limited GPS receiver. All nice, but not enough.

3. Windows Mobile devices = Just don't like the interface, and none of them or overly inspiring.

4. Nokia E71 = Ok this is just coming out and seems to have everything I've been looking for. The only down side is I have no experience with Symbian 60 based smartphones. It sounds nice and the reviews are good, but I've never played with one.

So, question is what are other peoples opinions. Have I missed some options? I prefer a phone that can go in my pockets (ie no bigger really than the Treo 680). I know someday the new Palm linux devices as well and Android devices will come out, just not sure I want to wait that long. Anyone have experience with a recent Symbian 60 based phone?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Caf View Post
    4. Nokia E71 = Ok this is just coming out and seems to have everything I've been looking for. The only down side is I have no experience with Symbian 60 based smartphones. It sounds nice and the reviews are good, but I've never played with one.

So, question is what are other peoples opinions. Have I missed some options? I prefer a phone that can go in my pockets (ie no bigger really than the Treo 680). I know someday the new Palm linux devices as well and Android devices will come out, just not sure I want to wait that long. Anyone have experience with a recent Symbian 60 based phone?
    I have experience of Symbian- both UIQ 3 and S60.

The Nokia E71 looks a great device- the QWERTY keyboard looks very useable. When I first read reviews of the Nokia E71- I thought, that's my next device. It has great hardware specs.

My current device is a Sony Ericsson P1i (that has a touch screen and runs under UIQ 3). I'm BETA testing styletap with it at the moment- so I have all my favourite Palm apps loaded on (Splashdata stuff and Datebk 6). It works quite well, and it has 3G, wi-fi and a decent camera, but I'd steer clear of UIQ 3 if I were you. It's a dead platform and nobody is making software for it, or releasing new devices. The biggest issue I have with my SE is that it doesn't have a D-pad.

In terms of S60, I think the biggest issue would be the lack of a touch screen. I've spent quite a bit of time playing on the Nokia N95 and that was the thing I missed most. The one handed D-pad support just doesn't seem as intuitive as Palms. The N95 seems a popular device, at least in the UK. Personally I dont like sliders and I hate T9 text input.

There is a fairly good software base for the S60 OS- not as good as Palm but a lot better than UIQ 3. Styletap will be releasing their Palm emulator for S60 soon by the way.

I think Apple marketing has been doing a number on me, and when my contract expires in November I think I'll get the iPhone 3G, or maybe the Nokia E71- I've not decided yet!
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I have an iPhone now but I've only just stopped using a Nokia E61 (which in turn replaced a Treo 650).

1. Must support 3G data (I've done edge, time for faster)
    2. Must support Installing 3rd party apps
    3. Must have a SSH app available
    4. Must have SplashID or equivalent available
    5. Must be able to tether laptop (either USB or Bluetooth DUN)
    6. Must be able to sync with Mac OS (and/or Linux) contacts & calendar
    7. Would like bluetooth stereo audio
    8. Would like the ability to play Audio and Video
    I don't know about SSH but S60 phones will do all of the rest.

#2. Although still improving, I think it's probably fair to say that the catalogue of third-party apps is still a bit sparse in comparison to Palm or WM.

#4. The SplashID app is a bit crap. It has a very clunky interface and doesn't sync (export from the desktop app and import into the phone is all you can do).

#8. It's worth considering how Nokia themselves think about the E71 and how they've designed it as a consequence. The E series are intended primarily as business devices (E=enterprise) and at least with the E61 the multimedia stuff seemed like an afterthought. It certainly played audio and video but the interface sucks and the quality is very poor, so much so that it isn't really usable as either a music player or a video player IMO. The E71 may be better in this regard, but the fact they still haven't included a 3.5 mm headphone jack doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence.

Other things:

In general I found the S60 UI ok but also a bit of a mess. It could get the job done but everything is driven by menus (the contents of which are hidden until you open them) and associated menu buttons and the D-pad. Options and preferences and even every day actions are sometimes buried very deep and occasionally in the most obscure of places. The lack of a touch screen can often be annoying, and sometimes just plain sucks. I'd rate the UI a bit ahead of WM (at least it has a proper home screen for apps and isn't a muddle of multiple input methods) but behind Palm and a million miles behind the iPhone UI.

If you can, you might check out some of the built-in apps to see how you like them, especially the built-in PIM and email apps. The PIM apps are fairly primitive by Palm standards and also suffer quite badly from the absence a touch screen (try picking a date from the month view or entering data into the multiple fields required for a new appointment to see how much). The email app on the E61 made the most pathetic attempt at dealing with html emails. I believe this is improved now, but I'd still want to check it out.

On the plus side, S60 does seem very stable (my E61 crashed just twice in the best part of two years) and Nokia hardware is pretty high standard. The keyboard on the E61 is one of the nicest I've used and the call quality of the phone was excellent.

The big question:

Is the current S60 version (S60v3) a bit of a dead end? Nokia have announced (and demoed) a new touch-based UI - the old version of the OS, and the devices that run it, may well be left in the dust.
    Last edited by marcol; 08/04/2008 at 10:37 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you all for your input, I'm taking a chance and have ordered the E71. We'll see how it goes. I've heard that the S60 devices were very menu driven so I'm bracing for that. As for SplashID, I currently use it on my palm and Mac desktop so shouldn't be to big an issue since they have a S60 version as well.

As for dead OS, I've been dealing with a dead OS (according to media) for years and it's been fine minus the lack of 3G and increasing frequency of reboots. I'll just try and stick to only purchasing apps I absolutely must have until a clearer picture of what is to come for either Palm or Nokia (or even Apple).

Thanks again for the info, I'll let you all know what I think of the E71 when I get it.
    I have the E71 right beside me, aside from the touchscreen and the simplicity of some of the Palm OS default apps, you won't miss it. And the battery life is friggin incredible.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the update, so sounds like your transition to S60 is working out. Any hints or tricks you have for a complete newb to Symbian OS?
    Thanks for the update, so sounds like your transition to S60 is working out. Any hints or tricks you have for a complete newb to Symbian OS?
    Best advice I can give you is to investigate the device a lot. Ask questions in places like All About Symbian and Howard Foums (search then ask); and then try things. Much of what is happening on the S60 side has to do with connectivity apps and location based services, so know that you will get to play there a good bit.

After that, its all about taking your imagination and doing something fun. For example, I use Nokia's Mobile Web Server to host my personal website from the E71 (or whatever S60 device I am using at the time). Its different and fun
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  8.    #8  
    Wow, just got to say wow. I've only had this phone for one day and I'm already amazed. The thing is fast and powerful. An example of power:

I was using my bluetooth stereo headphones listening and controlling music while my GPS in the phone was tracking my walk, when I received and answered calls seamlessly returning back to music. Oh and the GPS was downloading maps off the net via 3.5G speed no less!!! Yes, and no lag.

Nope, couldn't ever get my Treo 680 to do that even with third party software.

So far, very happy. Lack of a touch screen isn't bothering me much at all. Not as efficient an interface as Palm OS, but good, and powerful.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Keep us posted on how you're getting on
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  10.    #10  
    Well I decided to write up a review of the phone here for those curious:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=170391
    ------------------
    Zaurus SL-5500 + Cell Phone --> Treo 650 GSM --> Treo 680 --> Nokia E71