Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The dread day has arrived. My IT people have installed Exchange 07 with OWA, and neither Chatter nor Versamail will be supported. Since I'm limited to Sprint, the options are the Curve, the 8830 BB, or the 800W. I've been palm-involved for years and years, have a loaded 700P. Which way do I go?
    Who is paying? If you, I don't think BB is worth the extra money. If them, it is a different story. I have gotten Chatter to work with Exchange 07 but at the LOWEST security settings. I am still working on it including raising security. Maybe you shouldn't give up on POS yet.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  3.    #3  
    They're paying. And they will not change any security settings for me; they don't want to support Palm OS anymore. I have no problem going around that if there's a way to do it, but I can't expect any help from them.....
    Some people have had luck with the Chatter EX plugin on Exchange 2007 but it won't handle attachments.

If you would get BES from the company, then that is a compelling argument (BIS is not as good). From my readings and research if you HAD to give up POS:

BB Curve: More stable and responsive. Better for e-mail. MUCH Better Battery.
    WM (800w): More customization, better PIM.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  5.    #5  
    Don't care about attachments; I haven't been able to get Chatter to work at all, and I've been using the Ex plugin for years. I tried several different changes from the Chatter forum, including using forms, etc. Nothing gets it out of going back and forth from connect/login and never connecting.
    obviously being a (soon to be) former PalmOS/Treo owner, switching to the 800w would keep a lot of the same in comparison to the BB

but you should really specify your needs e.g. are you away from a charger for very long periods? How much do you actually use the phone? Does a touch screen matter? 3rd party apps? etc.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7.    #7  
    Use the phone a lot. Would love to have an email app like Chatter, or at least something that has all email accounts on one screen, and works with Exchange and Gmail IMAP for push, because now that I can't use Chatter, I'm stuck with an old version of Versamail that doesn't push. Use media a fair amount. I do like a touch screen. Not really away from a charger for long periods. Have no idea how much of all the cases, chargers, cards, programs (I suspect none) would be transferable to the 800 as I've never had anything to do with WM in the past. I gather the 800 has wi-fi, the 8330 does not. As best I can tell, neither are Rev. A (what does use Rev A, by the way?). I think they both use micro-SD???
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I gather the 800 has wi-fi, the 8330 does not. As best I can tell, neither are Rev. A (what does use Rev A, by the way?). I think they both use micro-SD???
    800w /is/ Rev. A which means peppier (less latency) EVDO. And I don't know about the 8830 but the 800w does, indeed, use MicroSDHC.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Maybe 800W with StyleTap so you can run your old POS programs on the Win Mob??
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    mighjt be stupid question- but is imap on exchange an option?

I use chatter with imap on a hosted exchange 2007 account and that works fine. (could be hosted allows more?)
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    mighjt be stupid question- but is imap on exchange an option?

I use chatter with imap on a hosted exchange 2007 account and that works fine. (could be hosted allows more?)

Are you getting instant Push e-mail or does it poll every X minutes?

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    sorry- cant say- I actually have goodlink for my main email and pim functions. But good cant render html so i use chatter to manually pick up when i need to look at an html email.

Is there a simple way to tell if the idle push system works - I'll try for ya.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I assume there's something i set in delivery tab?

right now I have sync messages, 1 day, keep flags sync, use ssl, store on sd encrypted, dont notify ever, offline checked.

If I just uncheck offline will it try idle push?
  14.    #14  
    My IT people will not allow IMAP on the Exchange server (this is in a medical institution so they are very security conscious). On Versamail I have it polled because the VM update automatically imposed a password-protected access to Exchange. Additionally, that VM upgrade only allowed push for Exchange, not for Gmail, which is what I need.

Can anyone tell me what the 800 and the Curve provide for backup? Having Rescoe Backup has hauled my tail out of the fire on several occasions. Is it true that BB can do a distanced wireless backup in case of a hard reset (or whatever they call it on a BB)? Does the 800 have backup programs like Rescoe?
    Can anyone tell me what the 800 and the Curve provide for backup? Having Rescoe Backup has hauled my tail out of the fire on several occasions. Is it true that BB can do a distanced wireless backup in case of a hard reset (or whatever they call it on a BB)? Does the 800 have backup programs like Rescoe?
    800w comes with Sprite Backup pre-installed in ROM.

Works very well and can be scheduled (daily, weekly, etc.)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    It works well; however, Resco Backup has a few options that are really nice. It is worth looking at.
    My IT people will not allow IMAP on the Exchange server (this is in a medical institution so they are very security conscious). On Versamail I have it polled because the VM update automatically imposed a password-protected access to Exchange. Additionally, that VM upgrade only allowed push for Exchange, not for Gmail, which is what I need.
    I thought the Versamail supports Exchange and Gmail.
  18.    #18  
    Versamail supports Exchange push, but it doesn't provide the security that the IT people would like. Out of 100 or so mobiles, there are only five or six of us that use Palm, and they would like us to go away. They are supporting WM, BB and of all things, the iPhone. Unfortunately, in my office area and in much of the hospital, there is no ATT signal, whereas Sprint is excellent everywhere, even underground areas, and I get a corporate discount for Sprint.

VM also supports IMAP and hence Gmail, but it doesn't support push from Gmail like Chatter does. They have allowed me to use a backup Exchange server for a few months while I figure out what to switch to, which was nice of them. However, if I could figure out how to get Chatter working, I'd throw them under the bus immediately. It will be very hard learning to live without Chatter.

Does anyone know if the BB Curve comes with a backup program? I played with one briefly today, and all I can say is that the trackball will take a lot of getting used to. And the keyboard is supposed to be much better than many other BB, but I found it small and with poor feedback compared to the 700P...but that is likely just because I've been using it vigorously for several years.

Oh...and just out of curiousity, is there any way to turn off the blinking LED on a Curve when it's just turned on? That thing will drive me nuts at night.
    Last edited by davidra; 07/25/2008 at 07:33 AM.
    Does anyone know if the BB Curve comes with a backup program?
    Enterprise backs mine up.
  20.    #20  
    And if you're on the road and the machine bites it, can you re-load over the air? Are there any programs like Resco for BB, where the entire phone is backed up on the card?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast