1.    #1  
    This has got to be the best year yet for consumers looking for a new PDA or replacement. There are so many devices to choose from. But I'm going to ask provoking question.

What is the best value PDA to date? (You can include officially announced products.)

You don't have to own it. Please don't promote the device you bought. Just an unbiased opinion on which PDA is actually the best value.

BTW: Value PDAs are priced under 350 bucks
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    My m505 was $359 shipped...
  3.    #3  
    I think there are two really good value PDAs out there.

In first place has to be the soon to come Sony Clie S320.

For the same price as the m105 and the Visor Deluxe($199), you get the 8MB of memory and the 33MHz processor with good memory expansion, and a jog dial. Plus great form factor.

In second, I would say is the Visor Deluxe. Though not faster than the S320, it does have a vast array of expansion modules available now and the Handspring customer support is the best around.
    -Mikedemo
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by patwoods
    My m505 was $359 shipped...
    I wouldn't exactly say the M505 classifies as a value PDA, though the sooner than expected price drops may put it in that area sooner than we think. Good deal you lucky dog . . . uh I mean bird.
    -Mikedemo
    Hmm, the qualifications leave this as wide open. If form factor is an issue, I'd have to say the Vx, otherwise I'd take the Visor Platinum.

This is, of course, until the prices drop.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by sowens
    Hmm, the qualifications leave this as wide open. If form factor is an issue, I'd have to say the Vx, otherwise I'd take the Visor Platinum.

This is, of course, until the prices drop.
    Thats very true. The Vx would be selling like hotcakes right now if Palm were still making them and priced right. But then nobody would buy the M100 and M105.

UH are people actually buying the M100 series devices? ewwwww
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    UH are people actually buying the M100 series devices? ewwwww
    Yeah, they sell pretty well I believe. What I keep forgetting is the company we keep here are in the extreme minority of handheld owners. PalmInfocenter showed some stats and apparently 60% of users only use it for datebook functions, which even an m100 series does well.

Apparently only about 1% even know or care how to add applications to the device. So when we discuss the 'nonstandard' 320x320 Clie or the 'unreadable' color m505 , or the 'great expansion possibilities of the HandEra', we do not speak for the rest of the world out there. Hell, I would bet most people don't even know about the Sony or the HandEra, all they know is 'palmpilot', or *maybe* have seen a Visor...
  8.    #8  
    Pat,

Are you saying the M100 is the best value PDA?
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Are you saying the M100 is the best value PDA?
    For joe consumer (99% of the folks out there), it certainly does everything they need it to do, and for $100. For anyone with a geek bent at all, obviously not... I'd vote the Vx for 'us' as best value for the $$.
    Originally posted by patwoods

Yeah, they sell pretty well I believe. What I keep forgetting is the company we keep here are in the extreme minority of handheld owners. PalmInfocenter showed some stats and apparently 60% of users only use it for datebook functions, which even an m100 series does well.

This is true, though I get reminders of this almost daily from my sister, who just got her first computer this month. Hey, at least she's becomming far more tech savvy than some of my friends!

Even I have to admit that at least 75% of the use I get from my edge is Datebook+ and AddressBook. I've even removed a number of the apps I used to carry around simply because I don't use them, and I continually find new uses for the built-in apps that I never thought of before (as well as new features. I never knew the address book would display the attached note as part of the entry until just recently. Handy!).
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    I'd have to vote for the Handera 330. Heck, it's only $50 more than what I (and probably most others) paid for my VPL. A good CF adapter runs about that much, right? If I could, I'd buy it. But I have too much invested in my HS to change companies. Such is the PDA world for a kid.
    BTW: Value PDAs are priced under 350 bucks
    'Best value' isn't necessarily a price range. It typically refers to a ratio: benefit vs. cost.

For instance, how many usable features per dollar spent would be its value.

Different price ranges--which typically equate to different market segments--can each have a 'best value' in their range.

right now, I'd say the best value is the $99 Visors being sold. Feature per-dollar, I think they are the best priced.

Of course, they wouldn't apply to me, as I need a lot more memory than 2mb.

I've been drooling over all of the new PDAs that have been coming out lately, but, to be honest I haven't found a feature that's compelled me to upgrade from my VDX.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    What feature set are you looking for?

If you are going lowball entry level, I would say the Palm m100.

If you want fastest mono with the latest OS, get the Sony S320 (next month).

If you want the cheapest color, get a Palm IIIc.

If you want the best color, get a Prism.

For me, I like the looks of the Sony S320. For $199, you get a 33Mhz processor, Palm OS 4.0, Memory Stick expansion port, USB synch, and 8 MB of RAM in a nice looking package.
    Probably a Visor Deluxe for most folks, or maybe a Palm IIIXE, if you can still find them.
    Originally posted by sowens

I continually find new uses for the built-in apps that I never thought of before (as well as new features. I never knew the address book would display the attached note as part of the entry until just recently. Handy!).
    *off-topic*
    One of my favorite features is the address book ability to show the most frequently used number that you select. For example, for co-workers, I would mostly use work #'s, for relatives, home phone #'s, for friends, maybe their mobile #'s, especially if we have unlimited mobile to mobile.

Select the name in Address book, goto(REAL word) 'edit', goto 'details', select 'show in list', choose from the dropdown menu: fax, mobile, home, work etc. Now this number will show in the list when you press the phone icon button.

Let's hear it for us 99%.

Oh, and my vote of best value. Without a doubt, the always stable, perfect graffiti, best battery life, cool look(colors!), 8mb, expandable, great price point, & with a release fever never to be matched = VDX
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    ...For me, I like the looks of the Sony S320. For $199, you get a 33Mhz processor, Palm OS 4.0, Memory Stick expansion port, USB synch, and 8 MB of RAM in a nice looking package.
    Me too...and don't forget the jog dial, that's a really nice feature.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I think the best value now is a Prism w/ a visor phone!! What a country!
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Well, price-wise the m100 is the best value.

Just after that, you can still get the TRGpro for well under $200 (I've seen it as low as $130) if you shop around. Its' CF slot gives users a variety of standard expansion options (including the cheapest memory options as well as I/O) and HandEra is still providing regular OS updates for it.

Next the Sony S320 may be a good option when it is available. Along with that, the Visor Deluxe.

On the high-end the HandEra 330 is the best value at $350 (or slightly less). It's packed full of hardware features (hi-res, jog-wheel, CF and SD, many power options, better sound, voice recording, etc.) plus comes with QuickOffice as an extra bonus.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by ganoe
    Well, price-wise the m100 is the best value.

Just after that, you can still get the TRGpro for well under $200 (I've seen it as low as $130) if you shop around. Its' CF slot gives users a variety of standard expansion options (including the cheapest memory options as well as I/O) and HandEra is still providing regular OS updates for it.

Next the Sony S320 may be a good option when it is available. Along with that, the Visor Deluxe.

On the high-end the HandEra 330 is the best value at $350 (or slightly less). It's packed full of hardware features (hi-res, jog-wheel, CF and SD, many power options, better sound, voice recording, etc.) plus comes with QuickOffice as an extra bonus.
    Ganoe,

You got a good point there. But I still think the Clie 320 is gonna give em all a run for the money
    -Mikedemo