1.    #1  
    I have loved the Treo over the last several years with Sprint. I even like Sprint, they are by far the least expensive carrier. Like many of us, the Palm OS is beyond dated and it was too frustrating waiting anymore. Look forward to reading the book on Palm's demise in a few years. I want to know what bonehead thought they could keep a software originally developed in 1996 and last updated in 2004. I don't think they have a long-term outlook. I started to consider the iPhone at the beginning of this year. Once I heard that 3G iPhone was coming, I decided to wait and see. I picked up two 16 gb 3G's last week for myself and spouse.

I found myself using the internet more (duh), but I have never felt my Treo 700 was fast. Many websites would not fit well on screen. The wifi on the iPhone is blazing and the 3G is very fast too. The portrait and landscape modes handle most site layouts nicely and the screen is huge in comparison. A lot of the surfing on the Treo was Yahoo Mail and it would not send the email and lose the verbage. So I would 'copy' the composed email before I would hit send in case it would get lost so I can paste it and resend. There is no copy/paste on the iPhone, but no biggie yet - and mainly b/c there is no problem sending an email You select a contact and it takes you directly to yahoo mail. I never liked Versamail because it could not link all of my folders that I have saved on Yahoo Mail. The speed of the iPhone not only with the internet, but opening applications is great. Navigating through websites with the iPhone is head and shoulders better than the 700P. The contacts/calendar is taking some getting used to. This is expected as I was a Palm V user even before the Treo. I loved the applications with the Palm over the years, but the iTunes Applications store is impressive. I did use Docs To Go on Treo, but really never used it to edit files just to view. It would take too long to open (sometimes over a minute or two) and it often would mess up paginations or tables in the files. On the iPhone email app, once you download a word, excel, pdf file, it opens immediately and is easy to zoom in and out. I grew tired of doing all of these fixes to repair resets, syncing not always working, putting videos on it, etc. Many of us early Treo adopters were literally beta testers for Palm/Handspring/Palm. Now no resets, audio and video just works out of the box with the iPhone.

The Treo still feels better holding it and actually putting up to your face and using the phone and it's more durable as the iPhone has a glass screen vs Treo's plastic screen. The battery life is better with the Treo too. I am now paying a lot more per month with at&t - around 50% more with data. Well worth it, love the iPhone - just wish Palm would of been more proactive 3 or 4 years ago. They should of done a major overhaul with the POS. Now it's catch up time with effort trying to be the least expensive with the entry models.
    Gotta disagree about copy and paste. Worst omission ever for a phone with smartphone features. Because of that, I still cannot use the iPhone for business. I have to often send similar responses to quite a few people. It's very inconvenient to write the same response over and over.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Gotta disagree about copy and paste. Worst omission ever for a phone with smartphone features. Because of that, I still cannot use the iPhone for business. I have to often send similar responses to quite a few people. It's very inconvenient to write the same response over and over.
    I'm with you on C & P. If the iphone ever wants to be taken seriously in the business world (let alone, supplant RIM and WM), they have to fix such an embarrassing omission. If the 3rd generation iPhone doesn't take care of this, I see a massive backlash brewing.

This is coming from someone who, like the original poster, went from the Treo 700p to the iPhone 3g. I do love the 3g despite its flaws...the best web mobile web browser out there, I don't have to carry an iPod in my backpack anymore, the countdown timer and ability to set multi-alarms and stopwatch, the growing app. store, the GPS, etc. Truly my best phone yet...I just know it could have been even better. My Treo had better battery life, COPY AND PASTE, video record capability and...while I was a bad typer on the Treo, I'm worse on the iPhone - data input is definitely (IMO) faster on the Treo. Of course, I've only had the iPhone for a week and am still learning.

Sigh,
    Brent
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 07/18/2008 at 07:08 AM.
    CutnPaste is a must. Why have, for example, a scientific calculator when you cannot paste error-free results into another file? Steve Jobs said about the original iPhone--it is the whole Apple OS in a phone. Not quite true. Beautiful safari, iPhone is a jewel phone, just barely a tool phone. Add CutnPaste and it is a tool.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by renn View Post
    CutnPaste is a must. Why have, for example, a scientific calculator when you cannot paste error-free results into another file? Steve Jobs said about the original iPhone--it is the whole Apple OS in a phone. Not quite true. Beautiful safari, iPhone is a jewel phone, just barely a tool phone. Add CutnPaste and it is a tool.
    I would rather have cut and paste than not. You are in the minority that relies on a cell phone to transmit scientific calculations. The iPhone has faults, but they are very few.
    Scientific calc is only an example. Steve added a special calculator this time around so, where accuracy is impt, why then is cut and paste missing. iPhone, esp w/safari, is beautiful, screen is the wave of the future (Palm, postage stamp-sized screens are out); daily I'm moving text around from so I moved from 650 to Centro.
    Must be a large group of users who aren't moving numbers and text.
    No A2DP and BT or tethered DUN are deal breakers for me along with C/P
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    No A2DP and BT or tethered DUN are deal breakers for me along with C/P
    For me the Internet and email is more important. Trek can do both, but not well. It is easy to navigate and the switch to landscape view makes reading a non-mobile web page manageable.
    Coulda gone Treo 800w:
    • aGPS
    • Wifi
    • 3g+
    • BT/A2DP
    • VoiceCommand
    • Cheap Sprint plans
    • Cut n paste (lol)
    • StyleTap (PalmOS emulator)
    • 320x320 screen
    • Hardware graphics = fast
    • MicroSD
    • 1-handed use
    • Instant Messaging built in
    • Threaded SMS

Plus all the software (freeware, trial-ware, etc.) one could ask for. I'm using BitTorrent right now over Wifi

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Coulda gone Treo 800w:
    • aGPS
    • Wifi
    • 3g+
    • BT/A2DP
    • VoiceCommand
    • Cheap Sprint plans
    • Cut n paste (lol)
    • StyleTap (PalmOS emulator)
    • 320x320 screen
    • Hardware graphics = fast
    • MicroSD
    • 1-handed use
    • Instant Messaging built in
    • Threaded SMS

Plus all the software (freeware, trial-ware, etc.) one could ask for. I'm using BitTorrent right now over Wifi
    BitTorrent on your mobile phone?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    yup, Adisasta wmTorrent.

Great little Application that works over Wifi or just 3g. Save the file to my 8gb card...lots of fun.

Just downloaded Devendra Banhart (40mins over wifi), opened in PocketTunes (new WM version), streamed it over my Moto S9s (stereo BT) on the train ride home. While doing that, read my RSS feeds.

That's being mobile! iPhone can't touch that kinda functionality.