Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1.    #141  
    When I posted that message. The modem wasn't out yet. Yeah, we just started selling them at compusa. Still the Clie's screen is to small. Besides you can get an ipaq 3135 for $134 now. To me that's the best price out there and the most powerfull.
    "there is always a way around the system" - redwing '99

visit http://www.kevintm.comwww.kevintm.com
    Originally posted by kevmccollum
    When I posted that message. The modem wasn't out yet. Yeah, we just started selling them at compusa. Still the Clie's screen is to small. Besides you can get an ipaq 3135 for $134 now. To me that's the best price out there and the most powerfull.
    Cool, that's a good deal for new people, but for me, where do I plug in my $210 collection of Springboards?
    Just because CompUSA doesnt have something, doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I could have gotten a 710 "modem" online weeks before the Clie 710 itself showed up at CompUSA.

134 bucks is a sweet deal for the b/w ipaq though.
    Apparently discounted and discontinued since b/w negates much of the PPC advantage. At 134-150 dollars it is a great value.
    For as asinine and over-hashed as the subject of this thread is, it's stayed alive a long time.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    kevinmocollom, one word

moron
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    >>I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. <<

Reallly? And you still think the iPaq has a better screen than the Prism? I've got the Ipaq 3650 and even at max brightness (which sucks the battery dry like a... well, it goes petty fast) it still looks washed out compared to my Prism.

Course the Prism lasts a heck of a lot longer on a battery charge than the iPaq.

I make a pretty comfortable living myself, but I could still buy about an average of 2 -3 Palm OS programs for every Palm PC program out there, IF there were that many Pocket PC programs I really wanted. When I add up the cost of my iPaq, the sleeve and the 128meg CF card (without which you couldn't really play more than about 3 mp3 or even wma files) the cost of the Prism is far more economical.
    -Michael-
  7.    #147  
    The processor on a prism is only 33 mhz. 42 overclockable. That is one reason why they LI-ion batteries last longer. But don't you go home an put it in the cradle when you go home anyway? While your syncing, the LI-Ion charges pretty fast. Unfortunatly the screen on the prism is much smaller. There is not the same about of desktop to work with. And it's not even skinable. PalmOS just gets boring after awhile. I hate people who by palms or visors just to play games. If your going to play games just buy a Gameboy or Gameboy advanced. mp3's don't really have to do with anything. They are going to be the same size no matter which device you use. Enough of this thread. The Ipaq wouldn't be in the Guiness world book of records for the most powerful mobile device, if it wasn't powerful.
    "there is always a way around the system" - redwing '99

visit http://www.kevintm.comwww.kevintm.com
    The Ipaq wouldn't be in the Guiness world book of records for the most powerful mobile device, if it wasn't powerful.
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. (Not that you said it, but the fact that there is even a world record for something as vague as that.)
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    The processor on a prism is only 33 mhz. 42 overclockable. That is one reason why they LI-ion batteries last longer. But don't you go home an put it in the cradle when you go home anyway? While your syncing, the LI-Ion charges pretty fast. Unfortunatly the screen on the prism is much smaller. There is not the same about of desktop to work with. And it's not even skinable. PalmOS just gets boring after awhile. I hate people who by palms or visors just to play games. If your going to play games just buy a Gameboy or Gameboy advanced. mp3's don't really have to do with anything. They are going to be the same size no matter which device you use. Enough of this thread. The Ipaq wouldn't be in the Guiness world book of records for the most powerful mobile device, if it wasn't powerful.
    Well, about the battery, all I need a mobile device is to last me through a day, just ONE day, because when I get home, yes, I put my device in the cradle and charge it. I used to iPAQ for a week, and my experience and the iPAQ itself is HORRIBLE!!! The iPAQ lasted through about 5th period...and I still needed it for 6th and after school. That's on days I didn't play games or MP3s, add that, and it last through about 3rd Period...My new Sony Clie can go about 2 - 3 days with playing games and MP3s and still have a charge.

About skinable...you must be an *****...have you ever used SilverScreen? MegaLauncher? Launcher III? ANY launcher program? They let you change thw whole layout and "skin" of the palm.

As for people who buy palms or ANY handheld JUST to play games, I think that is stupid too, Handhelds are for the MAIN use of a PDA and personal information management. Second, as mobile devies for word processing, spreadsheet, etc. And last, as mobile entertainment devices: games, MP3s, videos. The great thing about PDAs, is they can do all these.

The iPAQ may be able to do all this, but it's interface is messed up and it's battery can't last through it. Don't be calling the iPAQ the "most powerful device" when the device can't even turn on. The most poweful device is a device you can use, and that can accomplish what YOU NEED to get accomplished anywhere.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Posted by Kevmccollum

Enough of this thread.
    Wow. The first time I've agreed with this guy.
    Why are people being so rude, calling names in the first place, with irrelevent posts about spelling and such. Duh.

I am still using my first PDA, a Palm Vx, which is 1 year and 10 months old. I need to replace it so bad, but I find myself unable to find a satisfactory Palm OS device. So, I decided to wait for the next color device to see if there's something worth the money.

If not, I'll definitely switch to iPaq. Look at the new iPaq 3800...beautiful stuff!!
    I've been using Palms/Visors since 1996. And until recently, the Palm OS has been the better OS for me. But not any more. My next PDA (whenever that may be) will be a PocketPC. It's MUCH better for me.

If you like the Palm OS, then fine. Keep using it. As for me, I'm jumping ship.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    I'm thinking of jumping ship as well for the new iPaq but before I pre-ordered I thought I'd have a look at some of the software available for the device. Does anyone know what the flagship website is (equivalent to PalmGear) for PPC titles? I hope nobody says PocketGear.com because if that's the case then the selection looks pretty grim by comparison. I've looked at a few different sites but I'm assuming they were not the big ones.

Ark.
    O'Doyle Rules!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Arker
    Does anyone know what the flagship website is (equivalent to PalmGear) for PPC titles? I hope nobody says PocketGear.com because if that's the case then the selection looks pretty grim by comparison. big ones.

Ark.
    That's the only one I"ve found that's comparable. And you're right, considering number of programs and cost, it is pretty grim. You might, however, also want to take a look at PocketPCPassion and Brighthand, which seem to be the best Pocket PC sites. They also report on programs and games when there's something...uhm.... I guess interesting...to someone.
    -Michael-
    On your website you claim to be the "head of software at a compusa store i know what i'm talking about" and yet...

1) You possess the thinking and reasoning skills of a pre-teen.

lol, yea, i am sorta a preteen almost (13) but i still know lots about palms and stuff from reading message bords like this. and yes, i know you didnt really mean all pre-teens, just him.

And i also have this """""friend""""" who talks and talks and talks about how pocketpc's have and always will have more technology in them then any palm ever will. But i keep telling him just because something is bigger and different doesnt mean more tecnology was used. I mean he talks about resolution on pocketpc's and I talk to him about the new high resolution+16bit color clies are just using just a 33mhz processor and how that must have used tons of tech to get it . but he just doesnt listen and keeps saying how much more memory they have, how they can have internet, music, games, movies, etc and i tell him how somthing even smaller can have all that too, and how ppc's only have more memory because there apps need it. and after all this talk, and telling him to read this whole thread which i did in little less than an hour, he says he doesnt need proof he's right, and that everyone here has NO proof of anything they say and that message boards are stupid, then he calls me and everyone else stupid too take their time reading and posting here. CAN YOU GET ANYMORE CONCEDED THAN THAT??? he even calls himself so much smarter than me or anyone else even though i get all a's, and he cant even get projects done which he had 3 weeks to do a 1 week project. then i say "if your so smart, do your work" then he says that he doesnt need to prove his inteligence, he says he just likes tests. i just hate people who wont listen to both sides of the problem.
    i then say the one thing that everyone can agree on, "it depends on the needs of the user" he just starts laughing at me and says once again, ppc's are so much better than palms. i mean Gosh, everyone can basicly believe that it depends on the user.
    then he asks me a question about ppc's and i answer them, then i ask him about the clie. he says he doesnt give a $*** about me or palms.

ok, im done talking about him. and please dont comment on me about spelling or grammer, i tried. i mean if you really need perfect spelling and grammer u must still be in grade school. and yes i also know by saying what i just said, people will comment.

i dont think there are too many errors that really stick out, is there?
    Last edited by robert sibell; 10/27/2001 at 01:28 PM.
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Not THIS topic again!! It won't go awayyyyy!
    Originally posted by robert sibell
    [Bi mean if you really need perfect spelling and grammer u must still be in grade school. [/B]
    No, I just need to be able to read something w/o spending time deciphering it. It honestly doesn't take that much effort to push down the shift key at the beginning of a sentence or put a period at the end. Even if the punctuation is wrong, at least I know I'm at the end of an idea.

reading posts like this is difficult and i don't like to spend 45 minutes reading i don't like cooking for 45 minutes either but a person needs to eat and if the only thing you have it food in the fridge and you need to eat i need to eat a lot of food because i'm very active and i'm eating carrots carrots are good for your eyes fish are good too i like eating fish when it's cooked properly fish usually takes 45 minuts to cook eggs and bacon don't take long but they are high in fat and cholesterol you should only eat them if you're active i'm active
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 10/27/2001 at 01:59 PM.
    -Joshua
    ok, i tried to fix some errors. i mean capitalizing I isnt really all that important here.
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    Originally posted by robert sibell
    ok, i tried to fix some errors. i mean capitalizing I isnt really all that important here.
    Thanks.
    -Joshua
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast