Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Originally posted by kevmccollum
    english doesn't really matter to much in school anymore. never has for me, and proboly never will. classes like math and music do more for me and are going to get me a lot farther then english will. i mean, i know basic english and basic spanish. thats really all you need. to get a good job you would be better off if you had connections and actual work skills, then to go awsome super writing skills. im oviously a great speaker in person. if i wasn't i wouldn't be able to sell anything. i know how to get my information across and thats the point. who really gives a flying monkey about the little time wasting details.
    FYI, lots of people care about the little details, like employers, supervisors, customers, etc. I'm not ripping on you, but I'll give you a little advice. People do notice the little details, and people do care. To many of these people, the amount of care you put into the little details is an indication of the amount of care you'll put into anything. I had to councel a young subordinate just a few days ago because he refused to pay attention to detail, and a large amount of work had to be redone as a result, along with many resources being wasted.
    Writing/communication skills are also very important. Employers don't look for someone who can just speak well, or is good at selling; they look for the whole "well-rounded" person. Most people may never say anything to you about their observations, but they will certainly notice, and they they will base their thinking off of what they notice. I'm not saying you have to become a professor of english (I hate english with a passion myself), but mastering at least the basics will get you a whole lot further than you can go without them. They really are not time wasting details.
    Take this how ever you want, but it really is true.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.
    I am wondering how Kevin gets along with people at his own school. He must have past friends that got sick of his shenanigans and now have nothing to do with him. He is an example of a stereotypical teenager, and makes the majority of us other teens look bad. I have happily had a job well over a year now, and I am active in writing, programming, hardware design, and researching. I never seem to do anything now without research. Some of us are just naturally more down to Earth.

Originally I was going to buy a Palm IIIc because it was colour, but then I decided to go with the Visor series. PPC's at the time were way too expensive. But that is another point... some people say that the PPC brings in more revenue and the truth is they do because they are more expensive…there is no difference in capital. A Palm solution can be found for much cheaper. PPC's sport WinCE and faster processors, but my Prism plays video just fine and sound just as well.

A person with a PPC or Visor/Palm switching to a Laptop would have a hard time with the new balance of weight that comes in the package. Like a Bassist switching to Guitar, the bassist is one unhappy person. Kevin, simply because something is better to you, you should be happy with what you have. Many people now live way too far beyond their means and can never fully recover. As an example there are college students that commit suicide to avoid paying credit card bills. Sad, indeed.

Kevin, you didn't reply to my statement "I am in good shape, I have not canceled any dates because of MY Prism."

"Peace out", a common phrase that Kevin has taken like his warez. Talk to you all later.

P.S. Kevin, a seventeen year old can be prosecuted under law fully for things like using or making warez.
    Last edited by VisorSupporter; 07/16/2001 at 08:10 AM.
  3.    #63  
    scott, your prism cant play full movies. the compact flash adapter or anyother adapter will not let you play directly from the CF or other source. you have to copy it to the visors ROM 1st.

scott, how fast can you run a mile in? how much can you bench or lift.

scott, if your so inshape, maybe you should play in some sports.

peace out is a very common phase now. but ive just been saying it for a long time because it's different. other then saying bubye, or see ya later.

ps. whens that game going to be finished.
    "there is always a way around the system" - redwing '99

visit http://www.kevintm.comwww.kevintm.com
    Your a funny guy, who are you calling "Scott?"

Funny, if I cannot play a full video off my card, how do you suppose I play the 9meg video on my card? The Visor has 8meg. you put the two together genius. You can run anything off a card, even databases. You obviously don't know what you are talking about!!

Some of the previous posts are simple tips to help you out. I would be happy to get some constructive critisism, but oh yeah, your a sterotypical teen that thinks he knows it all. Sorry, but sometimes in life people don't even belive the truth. I don't think you could possibly be a good salesman, anyone who can talk can write, because there go hand in hand. You can't write and get any points across, so I don't think you can sell.

Bye!!
    Maybe people would respond to you if you learned English? You're point about a neon vs. whatever-expensive-car-you-pulled-out-of-your-*** (I'm sure as hell not going to go back and reread that crap) is interesting. Cost and ease-of-use have always pushed more units than quality. But the argument that PPC's are all about quality is conveniently misleading. The PPC's I've seen could hardly be said to be made of a higher quality than that of a mid-line PalmOS machine (at a fraction of the cost), and PPC's UI is convoluted enough to almost be considered intentional.

BTW kevin, how does someone's physique relate in any way to their mental acuity? I thought you said you were going to post less.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    scott, your prism cant play full movies. the compact flash adapter or anyother adapter will not let you play directly from the CF or other source. you have to copy it to the visors ROM 1st.

scott, if your so inshape, maybe you should play in some sports.
    <Snips>

A Prism with Pi-something will play movies without copying them into RAM (it's RAM, not ROM, which proves you don't fully understand PalmOS). Who is Scott? If ya mean VisorSupporter, I beleive he was talking about not missing appointments when he said in good shape, not nessecarily athletics. Maybe you shouldn't talk back to your elders.

PS: Your comment about English not being nearly as important as Math is stupid. Example: SAT is half math, half english.
    Even in stabilty. My visor has crashed way more often then my iPAQ. my iPAQ i think has only crashed once. thats because i was running 5 high level games and many other apps at the same time.
    I do not believe you. I think you are baiting for responses.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    Kevin,
    The m505 screen is not terrible. Certainly the side light is not the best that I have ever seen, but I got one the first day that they were out and I have never been in lighting where the screen quality wasn't adequate. Generally it is much more than adequate.

But you are missing the point. PPCs are not superior. They are different. If you think that they are the best for you, that is great - use them. Don't criticize other people because their usage and preferences are different than yours.

Acyually, if the only PDA that I had was an IPAQ after getting rid of a Palm OS device of roughly the same size, I might feel the same way that you do. but to me, size does matter. The other issue for me is ease of use. I pop my PDA du jour out of my pocket at least a dozen times a day to take a quick look or enter a thought. Even with Wis-Bar and DashBoard, the PPC takes significantly more effort to accomplish simple tasks. Now this is balanced somewhat by the fact that complex tasks are much simpler on the PPC. The problem is that I do dozens of simple tasks for each more complex task.

I am glad that you have found a device that is right for you. Just keep in mind that maybe the other people on this board have too.
    Good job BH. More diplomatic than what I'm thinking right now.
    so the sony is much smaller then. lol. anything u can do on that sony which is way over [blah-blah]....
    Hmmmm.....
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    Most of your arguments are out of date or specious. You say you enjoy a debate, but I don't see one going on. You make unsupported or irrelevent claims and ignore the replies that answer or refute them. This being the case, it isn't worth my time to point out the dozens of things wrong in your last post.
    Have you all ever noticed that you never run into kevmccollum and bblue in the same place at the same time? What a waste..
    Originally posted by Trotsky
    Somehow I seriously doubt the "head of software at a compusa store" could be so woefully backwards in matters academic and financial. (At least I hope CompUSA has SOME standards....)
    Actually, this is the missing link in a lot of bizarre and dangerous experiences I've had at CompUSA ....
    Kevin: Let's see, my Prism almost never crashes when I'm using it like I should. A person using warez should expect it to crash. Anyways, try running a program on you PPC that shouldn't be there, I'm sure you have tried running non PALM OS 3.1 programs on your Visor handheld. Many work, some don't. If you are a suupporter of Windows, great, but remember it crashes as does the WindowsCE of the PPC.

Yes, canceling dates is in reguards to Kevin saying that someone he knows canceled dates with his girlfriend. I was at my girlfriend's house all day today, no Prism used other then to check the time.

Bye!
    I was at my girlfriend's house all day today, no Prism used other then to check the time.
    The whole PPC vs Palm debate is pointless. However a PDA vs. Girlfriend/Boyfriend debate could be interesting...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    Have you all ever noticed that you never run into kevmccollum and bblue in the same place at the same time? What a waste..
    LOL! I was thinking the same thing but was hesitating to mention it after calling the bblue/bkbk wrong.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  14.    #74  
    visorsupporter you know your scott. even liz told me the other day..

thunder. visorsupporter (scott) is younger then i am. so i would be his elder.

SAT's are a waste of time. ACT's did the job for me. since i got a 30 i would say thats not to bad. yeah i scored really bad on english but i also scored really high on math and science.

visorsupporter you know your scott. even liz told me the other day..

thunder. visorsupporter (scott) is younger then i am. so i would be his elder.

I wasn't only refering to him.

SAT's are a waste of time. ACT's did the job for me. since i got a 30 i would say thats not to bad. yeah i scored really bad on english but i also scored really high on math and science.
    If every high schooler thought SAT's were a waste of time, we'd have a lot more people who can't write in the world, wouldn't we?

How can English be that hard? You speak English!
    If every high schooler thought SAT's were a waste of time, we'd have a lot more people who can't write in the world, wouldn't we?
    No. Actually, I think SAT's are rather pointless myself. If a person wants to go to college, why should a test score be the deciding factor? How does the skills of a musician or artist reflect in a SAT score? How do the skills of construction or other trades reflect in the score of an SAT?

SATs cover a very small portion of what you should be learning in school.

How can English be that hard? You speak English!
    Actually, English is a pretty messed up language. A lot of languages have much stricter rules, making it much easier to consistently structure good sentences.

That said, using paragraphs and spell checker are pretty basic skills...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  17.    #77  
    thank you homer

Originally posted by homer

No. Actually, I think SAT's are rather pointless myself. If a person wants to go to college, why should a test score be the deciding factor? How does the skills of a musician or artist reflect in a SAT score? How do the skills of construction or other trades reflect in the score of an SAT?

SATs cover a very small portion of what you should be learning in school.

Sure, I think so too, but if so many schools have them, they have to be doing something right.

Actually, English is a pretty messed up language. A lot of languages have much stricter rules, making it much easier to consistently structure good sentences.

That said, using paragraphs and spell checker are pretty basic skills...
    Well, It sure isn't as hard as Latin III. I agree, clicking a mouse on that "Spell Check" button isn't as hard as conjugating Latin III verbs...
    I missed this thread when it first started and tried to read it from start to finish just now, my head exploded around Kevin's 5th post.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Kevin reminds me very much of a friend I know from my school. Alwas has to have the latest stuff and tell everyone when he does, ignoring and manipulating certain facts to make his thing sound better. Of course, the only difference is that my "friend" actually knows how to write.

Also, I think its a load of BS about stealing software because of a credit card. Someone who is the head of a whole department in a computer store surely has cash and what, your mommy can't let you use her credit card? Might skip town or something? Anyways, you don't need a credit card to order things online. Don't tell me your employer doesn't pay you in checks, you must have a checking account by now - Why don't you get a debit card!
    Last edited by Matthew Nichols; 07/18/2001 at 01:31 PM.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com