Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    what CAD programs are there for the palm. the one i have for the ppc is pretty nice. works great w/ my autoCAD 2000. same file format and everything.
    CAD?

On a handheld?

Why?

Well, if that's what you need, and that's what the PPC provides, then what are you debating? The PPC is better for you. Go. Have fun.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    It probably helped that I had already established the behavior before we got married.
    My fiancee already knows I'm a PDA freak
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I don't know....Kevin is starting to sway ME.

I have the Vdx, and the Prism, and the modem, and the memplug and 64smc, and keyboard and backup mod, probably the em2 soon...

But, the memplug is SLOW and 8mb just doesn't cut it ANYMORE. I'm even getting impatient with the time that the OS is taking.
    SplashPhoto and pics on my Prism are nice, but today AGAIN!! I was on the pier and couldn't show them off because of the sun. I had my Prism under a shirt and under the table(where I was) and I still couldn't get it dark enough. Dang!

I wish to have the BEST browsing experience when I'm in a lonely hotel across the country, and I think maybe ppc can do that better than Palm.

Kevin, I have alot of apps on my Prism with 64smc. A couple games but more utilities like Action Names, Mapopolis, and many docs(reference).

Does ppc have comparable programs and how do the prices of sw compare and do you feel the OS speed is faster than palm.

Hey, inquiring minds and all........

I appreciate his comments since I have often wondered how well Bill could do with throwing his millions atthe handheld market. I must say I'm currently a little anti-MS or maybe just wish to encourage a little competition.

I will most likely buy another handheld this year BUT I'm really up in the air about it.

NO sony, no memstik, the kid's right there.
    NO 505, no improvement visible.
    NO Handera, MUST have color, can't go back to the dark ages, the kid's right again.
    Handspring, what's new???????? maybe 16 or 32 onboard MB, maybe edge form,??? Maybe..
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
  4.    #24  
    for maps microsoft pocket streets comes with the iPAQ and they are coming out with more cities every month. most major cities are up there and they include the surounding areas like for example if your in chicago it will also do chicago's suburbs. the built in contact application is way better the ACTnames. not only does it sync right up with outlook but their are way more options that you can put for each person/company. As for cost, I cracked all of my PalmOS programs so of course I'm going to just crack the winCE ones too. but most of what you need comes with the iPAQ. peacemaker (the programs that alows you to send to Palm devices and ZIOgolf 2) are other programs that are included. If you dont have Outlook. the iPAQ cd includes outlook 2000. And as far as ebooks. Microsoft Reader is also included. the ebooks are .lit format and u can find those all over. Print pocket is a program that i recomend getting. It's similar to printboy deluxe for the palm. and prints off docs as well as other files. any other type of program just ask. I will find it for you. my site is www.kevintm.com all the ways u can contact me are on there.
    "there is always a way around the system" - redwing '99

visit http://www.kevintm.comwww.kevintm.com
    Apparently the only thing a PocketPC cannot do is teach you how to write a legible post.

-Trotsky
    Thanks Kevin,

I visited your site and wonder how you have the time with band, girlfriend, & travel, to work on your visor, website, software etc.?

Many of your comments about the PPC and ipaq struck a chord with me. I don't know if I'm ready for the switchover to Bill yet, but I DO like being 'in the know'. Thanks for the info.

I have bookmarked your site for later reference.
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
  7.    #27  
    thanks. and no problem. the pocket pc is exactly that. if your not looking to carry around a laptop but you still want the power of it. Pocket Pc is the way to go over palm without a doubt. and i really dont even waste my times with palms anymore. I was once really into TI calc's and programed for them. they were cool and all, but then they just weren't powerful enough. a friend showed me his visor. At the time I was really impressed at what it could do. So I bought his. but then again, the black and white screen wasn't good enough. and the batteries were just crap. at that time i was planning on either getting a sony picturebook, toshiba s402 series laptop, or a pocketpc. Im sure I would've been plenty happy if i would've saved up $2000 for the picturebook (w/out the accessories) but really my iPAQ does anything I want it to do. That last message I posted was from my iPAQ when I was in bed. thats proboly why the message was kinda short. when i get my ipaq keyboard this weekend (folds out into a full size keyboard) I can't easily write a lot more in a short time.

for past messages the reason why I write shorthand is because I use AIM a lot. I guess I'm just use to writing whatever I just randomly type and not correct it.

usually people are smart enough to get my point and the big picture.

peace out.

the only thing that is really keeping me away from switching to ppc is the ability to sync everything with Yahoo!. Does anyone know if this is possible ?
    Originally posted by kevmccollum

for past messages the reason why I write shorthand is because I use AIM a lot. I guess I'm just use to writing whatever I just randomly type and not correct it.

usually people are smart enough to get my point and the big picture.

peace out.
    Why should we be inconvienced so as to have to actually TRY to read your messages? The things you say also apply to Visors. Wireless posts, fold-out keyboards, etc. How do you figure the batteries are "crap"? Also, not every visor is monochrome. Ever hear of the PRISM and probably soon the Color Edge?

It's hard to get the big picture when you say things out of ignorance or flat-out lies. My computers crash enough with Windows. I don't want problems like the Blue Screen Of Death to invade my PDA.
  10.    #30  
    for yahoo, just continue useing avantgo just like on tha palm. as for the blue screen of death. the palm has a much worse problem. they are called arguement errors. these argument errors can reset and have reset my old visor a few times. proboly because i was trying to make it think to hard. as for winCE. it is a very stable OS. as in Windows 2000. not all windows are crash prone. but the older ones are.. as for things the visor cant do. ive never seen a palm use any pcmcia card. also i have never seen any palm use a gravis gamepad. here is a thread for support on how to run a gravis gamepad w/ the iPAQ http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...threadid=26263 and http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...5&pagenumber=4.

there are a lot of pcmcia cards that alow you to do many things that palms dont.

i have also never been able to find a virual Palm emulator. microsoft has a virtual CE emulator which will work on any winCE device. so that what u see on ur ppc is what u see on you computer screen. this is actually kind of cool.

ttyl.

As for cost, I cracked all of my PalmOS programs so of course I'm going to just crack the winCE ones too.
    Why? Because you are a petty thief?

Anyways, I hate the argument that 'the PPC comes with all of the software you need'. This is Microsoft bullying. Microsoft hopes that everyone will eventually use PPC, and, therefore, will use only Microsoft-included apps. I don't like this at all. It kills the competition and hurts all consumers in the long run.

That's just a personal opinion, of course. I won't demand that people agree with me unlike some of the posts on here.

And PLEASE learn how to use paragraphs correctly. What are they teaching in schools these days?
    -David Byrne
    i have a visor and everyone should use visors because everything you could ever want to do you can do with a visor askf aflgka; ghfdjhg lhekjht eh theh tljhtlkerkh rlykh rlrkjhg lrkr lkskkslskhs lskskhj lh gjnmn,mnr r,nweoirhfph la;lhg lkjhrklklgknr jl sfhl glsfkhg lskhr nglivnio lsi nlb vinlrin lrin lirn as;b ;nb s;i nb;lrinb s;ilrn;dlbin s;bin jnd t,.xyfh y sbn soin s;oibn s;lkjdh d/sk.hj r;yih s;lkdfh g'sohj xx'ioh fgskj s['o h's'iofjh g visors rule and wince sucks;l khfg ;alkshg;asih ;asi8h gvi ahr;i has;ihgahrg airna;lir afihg arigarl;ignlairnbuina;rinbl;iranb fhg arhg rih girh gai'gasdfogj argh arihg a'rhiog g asgsd daafd you're all stupid;laihf ggh oeuirh girng dlfkh iidiididi bih dih dih difhg lda;''ahfg ;sihg aihg afga ih gap hspfhg p apih pas hgp pd a aarigh aigh "I'm in the know" ;aoih ti sih tih aei glna i aier alirtn alih alisrj air arih hl ak dfl;gh lfh gauir hga;uher gaish ihigh aish aleih asih ahi tih te tah ila ; litgh hlllelwtj lask paragraphs suck
    <----------------------------------->
    ;alkshdg ;alsh ail;h alashgaug asukdgf aug asugd opasudg foausdg f a sd fgipasd fuga sdifug asdiufg iug pda psdgf paiusdf gpuag sdpfu gidaf pudis fgapsduf gapisdufg gf ifgu fiug fiug fiugf iufg ifug fiug fiu asduf gas;dufg asuidf[ asdu gfapiugpaisudg pu gaipu gpau gpaiu gpauig piug pug apiug paiug paui gfaoui otashgoi haeoitg ;asi a;eug ;agt ;aeuig aig4 t8a4uwga urg ;atg a;eg t;auiegt ;aietg as;eit ag;t ie;g a; ;a g;a iga ;8aig ;ai g;ag ;asdh fgasjdhg asg a;lshg laih ;leith asel;it intelligence is over-rated aoih t;alsih ;lahs lh asldhg al;sih gl;aish gal;sih tl;aihs l;iah gaihs glahs dglahs l;gkha l;eih; aileh al;ieh tal;ieht ;alsht ;fhg; ajlfhsg l;dkfhl;gh;dlfghhlkagsdj asjg asudg fasldkufgaskdufg asdukgf asdyfgas7dftasduglsjgbf asdfhjkg adsifg7 adlksufg asldufg alsdu87cuchbb78fiau dg aug u gapudg pau guap ugd uiaf giug a gai aiog aiug aioug a df Bill Gates is a ***** apo8 ghasio ghdo;asi ghasui ghuasg fpausgd fpigu asdpfuoagh spufgh asopdhfph apdh fapodh faoidhs fpoauhd fapsdhf apsdoihf apsudhf apdf paudg fpausdg fpadufg apsudg fpausgpudg84g484uggkuj vbvbvb $ap$. $I$ $flunked$ $English$;$ajl$ $ksdhg$ $a$;$sohg$ $a$;$ihg$ ;$airh$ $ga$;$uihg$ $aeu8ptg$ $pa8wtg$ $kasfudg$ $alsudfg$ $askdgu$ $fasduiog$ $aosidg$ $hk$;$asudg$ $as$;$dg$ $asuidg$ $pawe8gt$ $aweruitg$ $auioertg$ $aurtg$ $aksjdg$ $piausgt$ $iparug$ $asdug$ $fjkdsvgpb$ $rauk$ $g$ $iupg$ $avisdu$.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    for yahoo, just continue useing avantgo just like on tha palm. as for the blue screen of death. the palm has a much worse problem. they are called arguement errors. these argument errors can reset and have reset my old visor a few times. proboly because i was trying to make it think to hard. as for winCE. it is a very stable OS. as in Windows 2000. not all windows are crash prone. but the older ones are.. as for things the visor cant do. ive never seen a palm use any pcmcia card. also i have never seen any palm use a gravis gamepad. here is a thread for support on how to run a gravis gamepad w/ the iPAQ http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...threadid=26263 and http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...5&pagenumber=4.

there are a lot of pcmcia cards that alow you to do many things that palms dont.

i have also never been able to find a virual Palm emulator. microsoft has a virtual CE emulator which will work on any winCE device. so that what u see on ur ppc is what u see on you computer screen. this is actually kind of cool.

ttyl.
    My Visor has never crashed other than my errors. Don't resort to flaming an OS. That's just stupid. As for Windows on a desktop not crashing...why should I have to pay money to upgrade to a newer OS just so the thing won't crash on me? As for PCMCIA cards, you're right. A PALM won't run a PCMCIA card, but a VISOR SPRINGBOARD is VERY related to the PCMCIA card, which is why you see so many I/O modules. Sure, they're expensive, but they fit in the palm of your hand and run the simple Palm OS. Please realize that PalmOS isn't for people who can't run a Windows or even Mac machine. It's for people who don't want the HASSLE of running a windows or mac machine. My Win95 machine will occansionaly spontaneously reboot. But will I pay $80 for WinME just to stop that? Lord no. If a Visor (or Palm) has a bug like that, HS/Palm will release a free patch jiffy quick. Microsoft will work the patch into a new OS. The reason being simple: Competition. Mircosoft has NO competetion other than Apple. And some people just don't want a Mac. Thus, Microsoft can do whatever they want with their OS and charge for a patch. HS,Palm,Sony,HandEra, they all need to please their customers to stay alive in this market. If they have a buggy OS, people want a fix. If they don't get it, they return their device and switch companies. Yea, this was poorly written and all one paragraph, but at least I didn't say "ur".
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    i have a visor and everyone should use visors because everything you could ever want to do you can do with a visor askf aflgka; ghfdjhg lhekjht eh theh tljhtlkerkh rlykh rlrkjhg lrkr lkskkslskhs lskskhj lh gjnmn,mnr r,nweoirhfph la;lhg lkjhrklklgknr jl sfhl glsfkhg lskhr nglivnio lsi nlb vinlrin lrin lirn as;b ;nb s;i nb;lrinb s;ilrn;dlbin s;bin jnd t,.xyfh y sbn soin s;oibn s;lkjdh d/sk.hj r;yih s;lkdfh g'sohj xx'ioh fgskj s['o h's'iofjh g visors rule and wince sucks;l khfg ;alkshg;asih ;asi8h gvi ahr;i has;ihgahrg airna;lir afihg arigarl;ignlairnbuina;rinbl;iranb fhg arhg rih girh gai'gasdfogj argh arihg a'rhiog g asgsd daafd you're all stupid;laihf ggh oeuirh girng dlfkh iidiididi bih dih dih difhg lda;''ahfg ;sihg aihg afga ih gap hspfhg p apih pas hgp pd a aarigh aigh "I'm in the know" ;aoih ti sih tih aei glna i aier alirtn alih alisrj air arih hl ak dfl;gh lfh gauir hga;uher gaish ihigh aish aleih asih ahi tih te tah ila ; litgh hlllelwtj lask paragraphs suck
    <----------------------------------->
    ;alkshdg ;alsh ail;h alashgaug asukdgf aug asugd opasudg foausdg f a sd fgipasd fuga sdifug asdiufg iug pda psdgf paiusdf gpuag sdpfu gidaf pudis fgapsduf gapisdufg gf ifgu fiug fiug fiugf iufg ifug fiug fiu asduf gas;dufg asuidf[ asdu gfapiugpaisudg pu gaipu gpau gpaiu gpauig piug pug apiug paiug paui gfaoui otashgoi haeoitg ;asi a;eug ;agt ;aeuig aig4 t8a4uwga urg ;atg a;eg t;auiegt ;aietg as;eit ag;t ie;g a; ;a g;a iga ;8aig ;ai g;ag ;asdh fgasjdhg asg a;lshg laih ;leith asel;it intelligence is over-rated aoih t;alsih ;lahs lh asldhg al;sih gl;aish gal;sih tl;aihs l;iah gaihs glahs dglahs l;gkha l;eih; aileh al;ieh tal;ieht ;alsht ;fhg; ajlfhsg l;dkfhl;gh;dlfghhlkagsdj asjg asudg fasldkufgaskdufg asdukgf asdyfgas7dftasduglsjgbf asdfhjkg adsifg7 adlksufg asldufg alsdu87cuchbb78fiau dg aug u gapudg pau guap ugd uiaf giug a gai aiog aiug aioug a df Bill Gates is a ***** apo8 ghasio ghdo;asi ghasui ghuasg fpausgd fpigu asdpfuoagh spufgh asopdhfph apdh fapodh faoidhs fpoauhd fapsdhf apsdoihf apsudhf apdf paudg fpausdg fpadufg apsudg fpausgpudg84g484uggkuj vbvbvb $ap$. $I$ $flunked$ $English$;$ajl$ $ksdhg$ $a$;$sohg$ $a$;$ihg$ ;$airh$ $ga$;$uihg$ $aeu8ptg$ $pa8wtg$ $kasfudg$ $alsudfg$ $askdgu$ $fasduiog$ $aosidg$ $hk$;$asudg$ $as$;$dg$ $asuidg$ $pawe8gt$ $aweruitg$ $auioertg$ $aurtg$ $aksjdg$ $piausgt$ $iparug$ $asdug$ $fjkdsvgpb$ $rauk$ $g$ $iupg$ $avisdu$.
    Well put. Your point actually comes across more clearly than his does.

Actually, I was willing to cut the guy some slack until he talked about cracking software. He spends $500+ on iPaq and related hardware and can't bring himself to spend the money on software he finds useful. Then again maybe his iPaq and accessories are also "cracked."
    Yea, I'm guessing the iPAQ was cracked. Tsk Tsk Tsk, stealing programs from those hard working developers. And I can't wait to hear his reply to us talking about this..
    Yeah I am with you. For some reason, people who steal their software annoy me. People who brag about stealing their software will never get my respect. All it does is cost the rest of us more money.

****-Richardson:

Man you crack me up. I only wish I could have typed that first. I was thinking the same thing.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    People who brag about stealing their software will never get my respect.
    You aren't alone on that one.
  18.    #38  
    if i had a credit card i would buy the software. but i dont. so i cant. therefore i must find the cracked version of the software to get the full version.

as for compition you are way off. there is not only windows and mac. lets see there are many many many versions of linux. Unix BSD seems to be popular a popular OS for servers. Oh yeah. there's also BEOS. there is a lot more competition then you think.

there are other non-microsoft programs that are included w/ all pocket pc products. like Peacemaker (by conduits) and ziogolf 2.

visor mods are not only bulky, but they keep releasing the same type of modules over and over. they need to release a CF converter module that will actually let u use the CF memory directly.

windows ME sucks. I agree dont waste your time with that. get win 2k or wait till XP comes out. they are 2 great OS's. read PC world. they agree XP is going to be a great OS.

I haven't seen an OS update for the visors sents 3.0 came now. they proboly are not going to even waste their time making an update so that visors will have palmOS 4. (this excludes the prism)

I spent $430 on my iPAQ 3635 not $500+. this is noted in a previous post. I get great discounts where I work. therefore I pay for what the At cost price of the product is. not retail.

...they agree XP is going to be a great OS...
    LOL! You're funnier than I am!
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    if i had a credit card i would buy the software. but i dont. so i cant. therefore i must find the cracked version of the software to get the full version.
    If I had money. I'd buy things. But I don't. So I steal things.

as for compition you are way off. there is not only windows and mac. lets see there are many many many versions of linux. Unix BSD seems to be popular a popular OS for servers. Oh yeah. there's also BEOS. there is a lot more competition then you think.
    We're talking about handhelds, aren't we? What do desktop apps have to do with anything? My point was that Microsoft sells their handheld with THEIR apps pre-bundled that also happen to be the same Apps that work on their desktop OS, Because of this, it is nearly impossible for a software company to compete. Then, sooner or later, the only software you can get for your PPC is from microsoft, and then they get lazy.

I really have nothing against PPCs and the OS actually has some nice points to it. I don't even mind that Microsoft bundles their apps with it. I just get annoyed when the media and others tout that as a benefit. It's not a benefit long-term.

read PC world. they agree XP is going to be a great OS.
    I've never found PC World to be objective. They pander to their advertisers. XP has some nice features. The big brother aspect scares me though.
    -David Byrne
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast