1.    #1  
    I was at my local Costco Wholesale, and saw they were selling PDAs. I was surprised to see the M505 selling for $399.99 they also had an iPaq selling for $499.99.

Any other sightings?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    I was at my local Costco Wholesale, and saw they were selling PDAs. I was surprised to see the M505 selling for $399.99 they also had an iPaq selling for $499.99.
    Dell.com apparently has the m505 for an even lower price, I understand.

I'm assuming the drop in price may be due to the same reason the Handspring Prism dropped to $399 -- competition from other PDAs (especially Sony.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  3.    #3  
    Well how is Palm gonna make a profit if they are dropping the price every other week. Why come out with the M505 at $449.99. Was this device over priced from the start.
    -Mikedemo
    Well how is Palm gonna make a profit if they are dropping the price every other week. Why come out with the M505 at $449.99. Was this device over priced from the start.
    'Overpriced' is relative to the competition and what the market will bear.

Handspring will replace a damaged Visor for $85. So you have to assume that even at $85 they are making money on the Visors.

The problem is that they are getting closer to market saturation of the 'business professional' where they need to now start looking at making the product more of a mass-market user item. This typically requires that they drop the price and have it become more of a commodity, ala portable tape players in the 80s.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    449.00 505 includes 50.00 E.A.T (Early Adopters Tax)
    Wait a few months after ANY release to avoid the tax.
    Originally posted by ByinHi
    449.00 505 includes 50.00 E.A.T (Early Adopters Tax)
    Wait a few months after ANY release to avoid the tax.
    No sh*t.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  7.    #7  
    E-cost is pre-selling the Sony Clie 610c/v for $395

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/...sp?dpno=960505

I got a feeling because of the competition that this fall there is going to be a slew of Palm devices for cheap. I wonder what a brand new M505 will go for in two months.
    -Mikedemo
    I think downward pressure on prices is here to stay. The question is, how long until it really hits the Pocket PC platform?

I'm curious whether the IPaq, for example, will be able to resist dropping their price. For a while, Compaq could differentiate itself from the Palm platform by pointing out all the things it could (supposedly) do out of the box that a Palm could not. However, with Sony churning out new models, query whether the "multimedia" end of things will start to get more competitive on price.

Other platforms are slashing prices - as discussed in another thread, you can now get a Diamond Mako (a rebadged Psion Revo Plus) for less than $100 on the net - which is about a third of what the Diamond originally tried to get for the thing.
  9.    #9  
    If the PPC arena drops its prices, like a $399 iPaq with 64MB then we are talking about PPC stepping all over Palm. PPC still have more power to them. Though the battery life sucks on 'em. Hmmm maybe Palm could survive that kind of assault.
    -Mikedemo