Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I need a smartphone. Currently, my employer supports the iphone and any windows mobile device. For work I'd be accessing a web-based contact/calendar program. Due to regulations, work email won't be supported so I'd also use the phone for my personal gmail. Other than the web-based work program I don't NEED the phone for anything else.

I'd been waiting for the 800w to come out and I was set on getting it but I'm having second thoughts. I've never had a smart phone so I don't have to unlearn anything. I'm a blank slate.

I love the WiFi and GPS capabilities but I know both have them.

I can get the 800w for $150 and the iphone for $199. Which way should I go? It's driving me crazy. As far as the plans go I get 19% off at Sprint and only 15% off at ATT.

Sorry for this very general post but these two devices have risen to the top of my list and I need a little guidance.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    How easy is it to turn the 800w and iPhone into a modem for my Dell laptop?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Another concern I have is syncing everything up with my PC. Apples mobile me appears to cost $90 a year?!
    Quote Originally Posted by DLawIII View Post
    How easy is it to turn the 800w and iPhone into a modem for my Dell laptop?
    You can't use the iPhone 3G as a modem at this time (and you never could with the original iPhone without jailbreaking it). The 800W will probably be tetherable (usable as a modem) out of the box.

Another concern I have is syncing everything up with my PC. Apples mobile me appears to cost $90 a year?!
    You don't need MobileMe to sync an iPhone with a PC. You use iTunes to sync your iPhone to outlook. You mention your employer supports any iPhone or WM device - does this means your employer uses Microsoft Exchange? If so, you'll have no synching problems with either phone.
    just get the 800w - it's cheaper, better discount for you, and looks more professional since you didn't say you wanted a toy also
    If it's important for you to use the phone as a modem then get the Treo. Otherwise I suggest the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    It's a done deal. I ordered the 800w today!
    I looked at the iPhone and it does not support the features that I use on a daily basis. Looks pretty, but functionality wise it just is not there.
    Desired functionality is the key to any buying decision.

I moved from the 755p to the iPhone 3G for the style, size, larger screen, the Internet experience on Safari, the now availability of 3rd party apps and the lack of quirkyness. (USB not recognized on sync quite often and delays in changing apps and the occassional soft reset.) (My daughter had the iPhone 2G for a year and never had an operational issue.)

These are my personal choices. I do not need the modem capability of the Treo and my daughters already had all the movies and music I could want from iTunes. Combining onto the At&T family plan already in place for the other 3 in the family actually made my total monthly cost less.

Heavy (time and Internet) users should note battery life, as you cannot slap a spare battery into the iPhone. I kept my Treo and now my iPhone 3G "topped" off by having a charging cable at my desk at work, in my car and at my desk at home. (And a travel charger for those days.) So far so good for me on that front. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/19/2008 at 07:40 AM.
    After many years with the Palm OS I have jumped ship and gone with an 800W. So far I'm very happy with it. Though I was concerned about battery life as I was charging it 3 or more times daily. I found that I wasn't turning off the WIFI properly and it was on all the time. It's very stable so far. I still prefer Palm's obsession about reducing the number of clicks to get the job done. I'm not liking having to click START>Programs>app when all I want to do is check what's next on my shopping list. But setup couldn't have been simpler and there's always the enjoyment of discovering a new device.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    I still prefer Palm's obsession about reducing the number of clicks to get the job done. I'm not liking having to click START>Programs>app when all I want to do is check what's next on my shopping list.
    Dont forget to customize your start menu by going to start>settings>menus.

Surur
    In my opinion until the iPhone can perform the simple task of cut-n-paste (without having to jump through hoops) it will be nothing more than a pretty face.

Not to mention I create and edit documents on my 700P regularly, the iPhone can't do that either. I like to record video of my cats doing silly things to, can't do that on the iPhone either.
    I got an iPhone 3G, and while its great at webbrowsing, the device is horribly unstable, PIM is SEVERELY lacking, and I just fear that anytime I do anything it'll send my phone crashing. I'm now already thinking about buying a Treo 850 or Velocity Mobile 111 whenever they become available. WM isn't perfect, but it does seem to be far better than the iPhone for what I need it for.
    I need a smartphone. Currently, my employer supports the iphone and any windows mobile device. For work I'd be accessing a web-based contact/calendar program. Due to regulations, work email won't be supported so I'd also use the phone for my personal gmail. Other than the web-based work program I don't NEED the phone for anything else.

I'd been waiting for the 800w to come out and I was set on getting it but I'm having second thoughts. I've never had a smart phone so I don't have to unlearn anything. I'm a blank slate.

I love the WiFi and GPS capabilities but I know both have them.

I can get the 800w for $150 and the iphone for $199. Which way should I go? It's driving me crazy. As far as the plans go I get 19% off at Sprint and only 15% off at ATT.

Sorry for this very general post but these two devices have risen to the top of my list and I need a little guidance.
    The iPhone 3G works excellent for my needs, even without copy and paste, no bluetooth file transfer and no MMS. I like it a lot better than my TREO 750. It would probably take years for PALM to come up with a device at least as good as the iPhone 3G. I would pick the iPhone 3G over anything else.
    1. TREO 750 - 2.25 - ATT - WM6 Professional
    2. iPhone 3G - What a difference (finally a real phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I got an iPhone 3G, and while its great at webbrowsing, the device is horribly unstable, PIM is SEVERELY lacking, and I just fear that anytime I do anything it'll send my phone crashing. I'm now already thinking about buying a Treo 850 or Velocity Mobile 111 whenever they become available. WM isn't perfect, but it does seem to be far better than the iPhone for what I need it for.
    What application(s) or procedures have been horribly unstable? My daughter's 2G has been flawless for a year and my 3G for a week now . . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/20/2008 at 06:56 PM.
    My iPhone 3G has had a couple of stability issues - Safari has crashed a few times and eReader has crashed once. eReader I can forgive (it's 1.0 and a single crash in many hours use isn't so bad) but I do hope Apple addresses the Safari issues. Far from being a deal breaker - the crashes are about as gentle as these things can be (app disappears and you're returned to the home screen, relaunching sends you back to where you were) and all other apps have been stable. Overall the experience has been extremely positive (perhaps the most positive of any handheld I've owned) but there is undoubtedly still room for improvement (and not just in terms of stability).
    Im very happy with the 800w.
    Huge improvement over my 700p
    Very stable and fast.Its both a work horse and a race horse in one.
    Needs a bit of tweeking to get it set up properly though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    What application(s) or procedures have been horribly unstable? My daughter's 2G has been flawless for a year and my 3G for a week now . . . . .
    After upgrading to the latest firmware (2.01), I haven't had one safari or application crash yet. It is a lot more stable now. It also fixed the most annoying issue with the iPhone (the contact scrolling lag).
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Various websites crash safari (heavy on images)

These Safari crashes actually make my other apps crash, or they won't even launch. Sometimes clearing Safari cache fixes it, sometimes a total reboot. The device is better with 2.0.1 now, but still a ways to go before I will call it "stable."
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Various websites crash safari (heavy on images)

These Safari crashes actually make my other apps crash, or they won't even launch. Sometimes clearing Safari cache fixes it, sometimes a total reboot. The device is better with 2.0.1 now, but still a ways to go before I will call it "stable."
    I would like to test this theory. Give me a website that crashes your iPhone and causes "a total reboot", I want to try.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast