Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1.    #101  
    Is anyone else having battery issues? It's not terrible, but my Mako doesn't seem to run as long as it should, and drains pretty quickly even when not running. For example, I charged up to 100% yesterday afternoon, didn't use it at all after that point or overnight, and turned it on this morning to find I was already down to 93%.

I've also noticed that the "fast charge" light never goes out, which tells me it may be overcharging a bit. I unplug the power when it hits 100%, but at a minumum this means I can't just pop the thing in the cradle and leave it to charge overnight.

Other than this little problem, I continue to love the thing. Again, it hasn't replaced my Prism, but I still get a lot of use out of it.
    Originally posted by VTL
    Is anyone else having battery issues?
    No battery issues here. If you go to the forums at RevoWorld, they have several discussions regarding battery life (the Revo and Mako apparently do have some problems) with some tips on woking around the troubles you describe.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by VTL
    Is anyone else having battery issues? It's not terrible, but my Mako doesn't seem to run as long as it should, and drains pretty quickly even when not running.

I've also noticed that the "fast charge" light never goes out, which tells me it may be overcharging a bit.
    I think that kind of loss from a full charge is normal from nimh batteries. The ones I used in my visor were even worse than the mako batteries. I am usually at 65%-75% after using it for three days without charging, and I use it quite frequently. My red light only stays on past 100% if I drop it in the cradle with a near-full charge to begin with. It never fast-charges more than a few minutes before switching to a trickle. I have read a few other boards about the mako, and I think the battery thing is a little exaggerated. I wouldn't sweat it if you charged properly before using it.

I also still love my mako. My vdx is not really missed... much. The calculator on the mako is kind of useless, cause the on screen buttons are too small. Also, I really miss the full size keyboard. The mako needs a folding keyboard accessory badly.
    Here's the London Daily Mirror last week: "On a visit to the British Museum he [President George W Bush] was asked by one of 30 pupils gathered what the White House was like, to which he replied: 'It is white.'... Then he went on to tell the audience the importance of a good education. He said: 'Sometimes boys and girls would rather watch TV than read. When your teachers say read, they are giving you pretty damn good advice.' "
  4.    #104  
    I did follow the original charging directions, religiously. I also never recharge mine unless it's dropped below 50%. It still continues to fast charge all the way to 100%.

I normally wouldn't worry about this sort of thing - it hasn't really impacted my use of the unit. Instead, I'd wait and see if the problem got worse, secure that I could return it for a new one.

However, given the fact that this has been essentially discontinued, I wonder if I should try and exchange it for a new one while I still can. Any thoughts?
    The Diamond Mako was a great little device, and I reccomend it totally, but its use and worth in my scenario is just not there. I'm returning it and buying a Stowaway for my Sony Clie PEG-N710C in place of it. For those of you, who are seeking a first time PDA, it's a good little machine. But...for those of us with multiple PDAs, maybe it's worth keeping for those who have money, but I just don't see much use of the Mako when I already have my clie. The Clie can do so much, there is pretty much nothing the Mako can do the Clie can't do better.

Anyone in a similar situation?
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
  6.    #106  
    I would be, except I guess I'm in the "have money" category. The cost of the Mako was low enought that I am happy to have it, even though I don't use it as my primary PDA - my Prism fills that role.

I do think it fills a niche. I like having a PDA with a "built-in" keyboard. The Stowaway is great, but you can't use it everywhere. For example, I interviewed a bunch of witnesses a few weeks ago (I'm a lawyer) in a case I'm handling. On the long drive back to the office, I typed up my notes (while someone else drove, of course). I then put the Mako in the cradle, and emailed the notes to the client. The Stowaway would not have worked as well under those conditions.

I also think the built-in apps are somewhat better than their Palm OS equivalents, although the differences aren't terribly significant.
    Originally posted by VTL
    I also think the built-in apps are somewhat better than their Palm OS equivalents, although the differences aren't terribly significant.
    I don't totally agree with you here. IMHO, Word and Sheet are the strength of the Mako (not to mention Cascade is very addictive! ). The other apps just don't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps this is because I'm so used to the PalmOS, but I'll take DateBook (I use DateBk4) and Address over Agenda and Contacts any day.

I'll be giving the Mako to either my wife or daughter since I don't have an everyday use for it. I'm almost sorry I bought it now...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456