Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased my Treo 750 the day the released which was early January of 07 so its about a year and a half old.... Im eligible for an upgrade, and the treo is looking a little battered after being dropped for the time ive owned it. Im looking for a good upgrade...

The Iphone 3g is appealing with its simple interface, but i also want a phone that is easily teatherable to my laptop which WinMo is great at. Ive read that there is a walkaround once you jailbreak an iphone to get a wireless teather working, but also the lack of MMS, copy paste, and the fact that Apple wont approve flash is a big turnoff for a supposed Multimedia phone....

Ive looked at the HTC Diamond, and it looks pretty good, but the whole only having 2 bands on the 2 different models raises a question on how it will perform in the US. Im on ATT. HTC has proven itself as a great phone maker, but im still not sold on TouchFlo3D

The Omnia is looking good, and both the HTC and the Omnia are great upgrades for WinMo but the lack of the stylus and replacment with a mouse cursor sounds terrible, although i dont use the stylus much, its still nice to have.

Anybody got any insight on what i should be looking at..... i pretty much go back and forth everyday from which one i would like to try to buy.

Thanks
    C
  2.    #2  
    Yea I misspelled Omnia in the title.... awesome!
    HTC's phones will come to USA soon, but on CDMA.

Surur
    I'm waiting for SE's Experia X1. But I'm getting impatient.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    anyone know the release date for xperia??
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris A. View Post
    I purchased my Treo 750 the day the released which was early January of 07 so its about a year and a half old.... Im eligible for an upgrade, and the treo is looking a little battered after being dropped for the time ive owned it. Im looking for a good upgrade...

The Iphone 3g is appealing with its simple interface, but i also want a phone that is easily teatherable to my laptop which WinMo is great at. Ive read that there is a walkaround once you jailbreak an iphone to get a wireless teather working, but also the lack of MMS, copy paste, and the fact that Apple wont approve flash is a big turnoff for a supposed Multimedia phone....

Ive looked at the HTC Diamond, and it looks pretty good, but the whole only having 2 bands on the 2 different models raises a question on how it will perform in the US. Im on ATT. HTC has proven itself as a great phone maker, but im still not sold on TouchFlo3D

The Omnia is looking good, and both the HTC and the Omnia are great upgrades for WinMo but the lack of the stylus and replacment with a mouse cursor sounds terrible, although i dont use the stylus much, its still nice to have.

Anybody got any insight on what i should be looking at..... i pretty much go back and forth everyday from which one i would like to try to buy.

Thanks
    C
    I would pick the iPhone 3G even over Samsung Omnia i900 (lower screen resolution, but better camera, has MMS unlike the iPhone 3G). WM phones are unstable and need to be reset many times (been there) and that is good enough reason for me not to buy a WM phone (at least for now). I still have a TREO 750 and I like it but the iPhone 3G is a much better phone for my needs. Just try one and see for yourself.
    1. TREO 750 - 2.25 - ATT - WM6 Professional
    2. iPhone 3G - What a difference (finally a real phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by therman View Post
    WM phones are unstable and need to be reset many times (been there) and that is good enough reason for me not to buy a WM phone (at least for now).
    With firmware 2.0 the iPhone is now pretty unstable.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    do you speak from experience or basing your comments off Internet posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Ha! You know the answer to that one....
    Lock and Load!
    Internet posts. After reading all the horror stories I am not risking messing up my wife's iPod Touch.

Anyway, ask out own gadgetluva.

Surur
    Internet posts. After reading all the horror stories I am not risking messing up my wife's iPod Touch.

Anyway, ask out own gadgetluva.

Surur
    Wow, a two line post by Gadgetluva has convinced you. Surur, you are just priceless.

Here is what I will say about instability.......

The only problems I have really had are syncing issues with itunes. The problem is in itunes 7.7, and I had those problems even with the first generation iPhone. I have since resolved them.

The only device "crash" I have had is the occasional safari reset to the home screen, and an app the falls back to the home screen.

It does feel a little sluggish compared to the first model at times.

The difference I have found on the iPhone compared to WM is that an application crash, or safari issue doesn't have a wide effect on this device. My years of Windows Mobile use were spent dealing with device lockups and hard resets. Dont have those anymore.
    Wow, a two line post by Gadgetluva has convinced you. Surur, you are just priceless.
    You know, I could easily rustle up 50, no 100 posts saying the same things..... but I wont.

Appologists....

Surur
    You know, I could easily rustle up 50, no 100 posts saying the same things..... but I wont.

Appologists....

Surur
    You do realize that the people that have no problems with their devices usually don't post messages. Whatever, it pointless having any conversation with you,
    I just bought the Samsung Omnia I900 to compare it with the iPhone 3G and yes the Omnia has a much better camera, bluetooth file transfer, MMS messaging, MS Office. I don't care much about the camera on any phone because I can use the Canon 1Ds Mark III for that. The iPhone 3G does not have any of that, but the Omnia locks up sometimes if you are reading the email or are on the internet while receiving a phone call. Also when you answer a call there is a delay of about 2 seconds before the other party will hear you. Resetting won't do anything to fix that. That is a major drawback for me. While the iPhone 3g is far from perfect, i still prefer the iPhone 3G over the Omnia. I know some users are complaining about different issues with the iPhone 3G but so far I haven't had any issues with it. I would like to see MS Office for the iPhone and some other apps but I am sure there will be available soon. As of right now the Samsung Omnia is probably the top of the line for WM phones on the market. I also checked the iPAQ 610c and will check the XPERIA X1 when available just to see how they compare. I would probably buy a TREO if the screen would be bigger and better resolution and at least 16GB internal memory. I don't spend much time on the forums since I don't have any problems with my iPhone 3G but I am just curious to see what type of problems other users have and see if the problems are user related.
    1. TREO 750 - 2.25 - ATT - WM6 Professional
    2. iPhone 3G - What a difference (finally a real phone).
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris A. View Post
    Ive looked at the HTC Diamond, and it looks pretty good, but the whole only having 2 bands on the 2 different models raises a question on how it will perform in the US. Im on ATT. HTC has proven itself as a great phone maker, but im still not sold on TouchFlo3D...
    C
    As of two weeks ago the Diamond is a Quad-band phone. This has come about due to an official firmware update for the Asia (Hong Kong) released Diamonds from HTC's Hong Kong website.

Yes, the hardware was always there. HTC released the Diamond in Asia without finishing the firmware for 850 band because its not used over there. There are several official ROMs customized by region but many unofficial ROMs tweaked with the best of each.

I know this because I pre-ordered a Diamond before they were released from Expansys USA (formerly mobilplanet). They purchased their initial set from Hong Kong. I got it in June and have been on a learning crash course since. See the following resources:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=429
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=430
    http://www.1800pocketpc.com/glossary

The ROM update has also significantly improved the speed of the TouchFlo interface and I have to say it is now truly usable. I love it.

The Diamond is my first Windows Mobile device and my first stray from Palm since 1997. But after using the Diamond alongside my 680 for over a month it has become my primary device, even though I'm not a big fan of the soft keyboard interface. Perhaps that's just a learning curve issue for me. The Palm OS served me well over the years but is now too archaic.

Give the Diamond another look, especially after reading of the great work on those support sites...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    You should definitely give the Diamond another look, but I would wait for an official US version.

As for earlier complaints, there seem to have been some significant fixes: http://www.geek.com/portable/geek_mo...id_post=577017
    You guys will be seeing a full comparo from me soon, but the iPhone is definitely NOT stable. I'm not speaking out of bias or hatred or unabashed love of any device either. I tell it like it is. I think I've narrowed down the cause of a lot of instability (Safari), but the constant app crashes, device resets, and inability for even Apple's native apps (Calendar, Settings) to open when I press them is annoying. I use the iPhone like I used all of my WM phones, and its pretty telling.

Here is what I will say about instability.......

The only problems I have really had are syncing issues with itunes. The problem is in itunes 7.7, and I had those problems even with the first generation iPhone. I have since resolved them.

The only device "crash" I have had is the occasional safari reset to the home screen, and an app the falls back to the home screen.

It does feel a little sluggish compared to the first model at times.

The difference I have found on the iPhone compared to WM is that an application crash, or safari issue doesn't have a wide effect on this device. My years of Windows Mobile use were spent dealing with device lockups and hard resets. Dont have those anymore.
    You're right, the iPhone doesn't really lockup too often (but it does). It just resets itself out of the blue after using an app (including the original apps that came with it).
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    anyone know the release date for xperia??
    Rumoured to be 6th-12th October in the UK.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    gadgetman speaks the truth. The iphone does lock up some or basically i should say closes the app and goes to the home screen. Sometimes, you get to see the apple logo as well after a long freeze. I pretty much attribute it to 3rd party apps. Consumers wanted them, and i think apple needs to revisit how they do them..starting with the review system down to how they rank them, sort them, etc. Many of them are completely useless and not what i consider real apps. Half the reviews seem written by kids who don't even own them which only goes to reinforce a perception that this is a kid's phone or "noob" phone. Apple has to be careful it doesn't become the AOL of smartphones that gets snickered at by everyone else. These app "reviews" will only foster it. And certainly the iphone won't stay unique for long.

If i'm not impatient and install one app at a time and do nothing else, i usually get better results. Usually works better if you buy apps on itunes and sync.

Palm users know the perils of apps causing instability and the iphone is no different. Contrary to my tongue in cheek posts in another thread, i don't consider the iphone to be perfect by a longshot. But the potential is there and i do see it as pretty new territory still with 2.01.

What's encouraging is this. Apps will be continued given the popularity of the phone. Updates will be given frequently. We've had a minor one already and 2.1 will come in september. (if you're a palm user, this is unheard of). Many of the "missing features" can be implemented with updates but i do realize we may never see some with at&t and apple in control.

But this phone does what i need and does it pretty well. As with my treos in the past, if i have huge problems, the apps will go, and it'll be back to reinstalling them one at a time. Syncs are hit and miss. If taking a long time, it's time to do a soft reset, and restart itunes making sure you end all processes in vista. But usually they go quick.
    Last edited by cardfan; 08/08/2008 at 07:36 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast