1.    #1  
    By way of brief intro, I have done palm's since the original pilot and have ultimately moved through the lineup to my current 700p. Due to corporate pressures I am considering moving to BB but wanted to ask if there are equivalents to the software I currently use, and find very handy.

For frame of reference, I work as an engineer and I use these things as tools vs multimedia/entertainment

I currently consider the following apps important...

DateBk6
    DayNotez
    Bonsai
    Bob's Calc (RPN calculator)
    Expense Diary
    SDS Time
    YAUC (yet another unit convertor)

Do equivalents exist for BB's or is there a way to run palm apps on BB?

Cheers

Mark
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Turning money into noise and the occasional gadget
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    i think u shall try searching blackberry forums...u will get lot more help...here u go...http://forums.crackberry.com/
  3.    #3  
    Thank you,

I'll see what I can find over there.

I was hoping for the perspective of the palm/treo folks as many of them have jumped back and forth between palm & BB...

Cheers

Mark
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I tried an Sprint Curve for a couple of days and it promptly went back. Not my cup of tea. I had all of those programs as well and it just would never work for me. Only one calender with NO CATEGORIES. Forget about it. No way, no how. Battery life was amazing though. I wouldn't even consider it as an option if you are a power user. If you're someone who just used the built in apps, you'd probably love a Blackberry.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I tried an Sprint Curve for a couple of days and it promptly went back. Not my cup of tea. I had all of those programs as well and it just would never work for me. Only one calender with NO CATEGORIES. Forget about it. No way, no how. Battery life was amazing though. I wouldn't even consider it as an option if you are a power user. If you're someone who just used the built in apps, you'd probably love a Blackberry.
    I do believe 90% of BB users are using the built-in apps.

Agree. If Treo form factor and battery life are similar to BB, I am sure a lot of users will like it. Actually the battery life is more related to M$ than the device maker. We always find that the battery life of WM devices are poor.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Thanks for that comment - it confirms my suspicions... :-)

I suppose I should now attempt to get my treo to connect to a federal gov exchange server - I can only imagine how much fun that will be... right up there with beating myself in the face with a shovel.

If you have any good links for a treo email noob - now would be a good time to offer em up!

Cheers and I like your avatar

Mark
    A few weeks ago, I was looking at all the sexy new Blackberries that folks around me are using.

First I figured that it would cost be around $200 to purchase new software that I use on my Treo and consider essential. Then all the time and energy to migrate... Decided against it for now.

I just don't like BB's built in PIM software. Other than GPS, my old Treo 700P is doing everything I need it to do - and I've been fortunate to only get one reset every month or so.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
  8. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolspode View Post
    Thanks for that comment - it confirms my suspicions... :-)

I suppose I should now attempt to get my treo to connect to a federal gov exchange server - I can only imagine how much fun that will be... right up there with beating myself in the face with a shovel.

If you have any good links for a treo email noob - now would be a good time to offer em up!

Cheers and I like your avatar

Mark
    Good luck with that. It really depends on your IT department.

I use a BB for my office and my Treo for personal use and I've got to tell you that the BB makes for a horrible phone and an even worse appointment book.

Entering a new appointment in the BB is cumbersome and using the phone is archaic.

The keyboard on the Palm is much better than on the 8703 (why don't bb users get a dedicated period key?), but holding down a button to get a capital letter is pretty neat and adding two spaces for a period is kinda nice too.
    Cheers

Charles
    Not stricktly related to BB, but I switched to WM about a week ago. Had a nightmare trying to migrate all my contacts (900+) with NOTES assigned to most. Also had a nightmare migrating appointments so that they worked similar to DateBk6.
    Used Outlook to convert the data, but found that all the notes would have been lost and the appointments became unmanageable.
    Long story short, returned the WM device, got the Centro, and very happy with the decision. Still want a WM, but will buy a cheap one (Ebay?) and take my time trying to migrate all data. Don't need the pressure of doing it when I rely on the data being available.
    I am sure that others have migrated their data with minimal problems, but I don't have room for any more grey hairs!
    Think every platform has its strong points, but have a lot invested in Palm, so will stick with it for the forseeable future.

RJ
    RJuhl
  10.    #10  

Now this is what I was hoping for - an 'it ain't that green over there' kind of dialogue. I am comfortably reassured, now....

If it was better over there in BB land I might consider making myself more accessible with mobile email, since I would have the supported corporate device anyways.

Since the BB world isn't where I want to be, yet, I think I will remain unavailable by email when I am not in my office - this can'tbe all bad

Cheers and thank you to all for confirming there is no pressing requirement to force myself through a device change, at this time.

Mark
  11. jgk
    This has been a useful thread and just the sort I needed, because I really need to upgrade from my Treo 650 (wired remote not working, need to use Bluetooth2 etc) and as far as I can see I might have to move away from Palm after 12+ years.

So it's a heart-rending decision if I am going to do it - I've left a wife with less agonising than this.......

Blackberry looks my lost likely option as the layout seems to most closely resemble a Treo, and I was looking at using Agendus for BB to overcome the deficiencies of the BB PIM and to make data migration a whole lot easier.

Has anyones else tried this, or are there any other suggestions on the way to go?
    I will fifth that on the migration. I miss dearly a few Palm applications that just do not exist in the WM world. Your purchase of the Centro though is an excellent one.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I will fifth that on the migration. I miss dearly a few Palm applications that just do not exist in the WM world. Your purchase of the Centro though is an excellent one.
    Just so I keep learning from this thread - if you are running an 800W, can I assume you are running styletap...

If so, what are your thoughts on palm apps on a WM device?

Cheers

Mark
    It's like buying a Mac to run windows. A bad idea. Much better to get a PC.