Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I played with the Instinct last week and I like it.

I see it has Microsoft live search built in, is there a posibility that word and excel compatible programs can be installed?
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post
    I see it has Microsoft live search built in, is there a posibility that word and excel compatible programs can be installed?
    Yes, there is....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  3.    #3  
    OK, do you know of any that are available?

I am prepared to buy the Instinct if can edit word and excel files and sync to contacts and calendar to ACT!.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    I have the Instinct and I hate it.

The Pros:
    GPS- Good stuff here
    Voice Recognition
    Sleek

Cons:
    Freezes. I have had this since monday and have done a total of 12 soft resets
    Unresponsive buttons( goes with the freezing)
    touchscreen texting doesnt go with my big thumbs( personal issue)
    Signal is terrible. Cant use this in my own home.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by waytoodeep03 View Post
    I have the Instinct and I hate it.

The Pros:
    GPS- Good stuff here
    Voice Recognition
    Sleek

Cons:
    Freezes. I have had this since monday and have done a total of 12 soft resets
    Unresponsive buttons( goes with the freezing)
    touchscreen texting doesnt go with my big thumbs( personal issue)
    Signal is terrible. Cant use this in my own home.
    What phone are you comparing signal to?
    I have call problems due to poor signal on my Treo700WX
    OK, do you know of any that are available?

I am prepared to buy the Instinct if can edit word and excel files and sync to contacts and calendar to ACT!.
    I might have opened my mouth too soon... I was thinking the Samsung instink was a symbian os, which dataviz supports. I searched after I posted and found out I was wrong... lol...

Although, I'm sure someone *may* release some software for the phone. From what I'm reading, I'm not sure... Heck, search google and email dataviz... Just seems this is not a "working" device... only for "fun." You can't even sync the calendar... heck with that phone.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7.    #7  
    I am having a hard time learning what if any op system this phone uses. Since it has MS live search and the supposid ability to read word docs in the notes app. Is it a WM lite? or just standard cell phone Java?
    I am having a hard time learning what if any op system this phone uses. Since it has MS live search and the supposid ability to read word docs in the notes app. Is it a WM lite? or just standard cell phone Java?
    I assumed it was symbian... I read it is something samsung made... there is nothing on the OS anyplace. I even searched the phone's help manual. Yea, I was in it hard. Actually, your question peeked my interest...

To be honest, I still don't know what it is though. I think I read one place they said it was a java phone.

I know 100% for sure it is not a windows device (not windows mobile light), or a symbian device.

Forum member Surur would know off the top of his head, I'm sure.....
  9.    #9  
    thanks for all the digging. A Sprint tech admin posted on Buzz about wireless that no software exists now and that it was built for fun not work. Too bad as it could be great if someone decides tp make software for it.
    I own the Instinct and love it. I'm still keeping the Centro on a second line, since I write for TreoCentral, but the Instinct is the phone I carry around.

Pros:
    • Replacable battery, with replacement battery included
    • ~5 hour life from each battery
    • Touchscreen keyboard in landscape more is easier to use than iPhone's. I'm actually faster on it now than the Centro
    • Can access more websites than with Blazer on the Centro
    • It feels terrific in the hand -- thinner than the Centro but narrower than the iPhone. It feels more like a phone compared to the iPhone, which feels like a PDA
    • Sound quality, especially for music, is astounding
    • The native GPS functionality kills. I'll never go back to a phone without it. Even when you don't need turn-by-turn navigation, it's great just for looking up nearby facilities
    • Native A2DP, though the signal-to-noise is lower than the Centro's A2DP streaming through SAG
    • Camcorder -- an advantage over the iPhone
    • Live TV. I'm not a TV person, but it was interesting to check out

Cons
    • No stylus silo, though a stylus is included in the box. But I'm OK without using a stylus
    • Narrower than the iPhone. While this is a plus ergonomically, as indicated above, there's less real estate and resolution available for the browser and video
    • I hate the email client. It's user friendly, but apparently there's no way to create folders and move messages from your inbox. You either leave them more delete them. This might not be true using Exchange, but Gmail IMAP didn't display my custom folders. All in all, configuration options are too limited for anything but casual use
    • The browser's more capable than Blazer in most respects, but no match for Safari, because:
    • It's rendering speed is generally slow, detracting from Rev A's superior throughput
    • No text wrap, forcing the user (on most pages) to horizontally scroll back and forth. Even Blazer can manage text wrap
    • The device has fewer colors available, so many web pages have a different palette than what your used to seeing
    • Opera Mini's not ready. Some people have gotten 4.1 to work intermittently, but I couldn't get it to load after downloading it.
    • Limited J2ME app selection available right now. There are some demos on board with full versions available (like Bejeweled and Sudoku), but the Instinct is light years away from having anything as robust as the iPhone's App Store

Samsung has its own OS on this. There's an SDK that uses J2ME for system-level programming, so you can develop real apps, not VM crap.
    ^ great review, thanks for sharing. i found it interesting to see the iPhone mentioned 6 times in the write-up while the user owns and uses two other devices.

great looking device, glad you like it.

thanks again
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/26/2008 at 04:21 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  12.    #12  
    I hope they can get some functionality in the Instinct quick, while enthusiasm is hot.

Give me excel, word and ability to sync with ACT! and I am in.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i found it interesting to see the iPhone mentioned 6 times in the write-up while the user owns and uses to other devices.
    That's a no-brainer. The Instinct has more in common with the iPhone's form factor and feature set than the Centro's, so anyone considering the Instinct already has the iPhone as a point of reference.

My main reasons for opting for the Instinct over the iPhone were:
    • Early termination fees for three active lines on Sprint
    • Better voice and data pricing
    • Narrower profile, which feels better in the hand and fits better in the pocket
    • Replacable battery
    • Replacable memory card
    • A2DP

My main reasons for moving from the Centro were:
    • I needed to occasionally research things online, but didn't want to carry a laptop. Blazer is not the best tool for the job -- it chokes on pages that are no problem for the Instinct or the iPhone
    • I was paying for Telenav as a standalone service. Now it's integrated with my Simply Everything plan
    • I now use a pocket sized Filofax for my calendar and task lists, so the PIM functions were no longer necessary
    • The Instinct's widescreen display is more appealing than the Centro's sqaure format
    • Surprisingly, I'm much faster typing on the Instinct than the Centro, which was not my experience with the iPhone
    • Better aesthetics and ergonomics

I can't say I don't miss a few apps on the Centro, or being able to tether, or Blazer's text wrapping, but it was time to move on.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post

[*]I now use a pocket sized Filofax for my calendar and task lists, so the PIM functions were no longer necessary
    Thats a step back in time.

Companion link emailed me back saying they cannot syn with it due to Instinct only supports Exchange.
    Thats a step back in time.
    Long story. I blogged about it here.
  16.    #16  
    Dataviz says they are looking at the Instinct for docs to go but cannot find out opperating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    [*]I now use a pocket sized Filofax for my calendar and task lists, so the PIM functions were no longer necessary

Gameboy70,
    Where in the world did you find that: a flea market? Seriously, do they still make these?

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  18.    #18  
    I sent the following in an email to Dan at sprint. What kind of response will I get?

"I think Sprint and Samsung really missed the boat here. The Instinct has so much appeal to business users as well as to people that want a toy, but no support for simple files formats such as Excel, word and PDF. No contact, calendar syncing to popular databases such as ACT! or Outlook with out an Exchange server.

I thought you would have done more homework on this Iphone challenger, with the uproar over no business use on the Iphone.

I really wanted to replace my Treo 700WX with this phone, but I need support for Excel, Word, PDF and contact/calendar sync.

I hope you can come up with a better phone than my poor call quality 700WX soon with those features.

Thank you for your time.
    Dan"
    Does everyone here realize that the Instinct isn't really a smartphone as much as it is an "advanced" feature phone?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Does everyone here realize that the Instinct isn't really a smartphone as much as it is an "advanced" feature phone?

Did you read my post above?

They missed the boat, claiming to be an I phone killer. This could be a great business phone with support for common applications.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast