Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    i mean, nova could really turn it around for them"
    That is interesting... over the years I've watched more small software companies struggle than succeed.

    Even with the release of many mobile OS platforms, many complained how they had to build their product for each device (more money). Stiff competition, low prices, etc...

    If I were a developer, I don't think I'd ever look at nova as a "turn around" device for me. I'd be on the blackberry or win mobile building quality business apps.

    Not to say I would not hedge my bets and look into how much building apps for linux might cost... I'm thinking (I don't know so someone correct me) that if you build for google android (linux) that their *should* be little modification to jump to a linux build of palm OS.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  2. #22  
    I'm pretty sure programming for android will be entirely different than programming for palm. The posix functionality will be the same, but almost all code is written to higher level apis. The code to display GUI widgets, respond to events, etc. will likely be entirely different, and that's where most of the work is.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Please stop.... it is time to move on instead of you jacking another thread with people arguing with you.
    .
    what in God's name?

    how in the hec were MY posts considered thread jacking?

    you stated why you think Palm will be successful, some others responded with why they thought they wouldn't be, all with differing opinions and/or reasons.

    never did i state anything personal.

    oh the humanity....
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    what in God's name?

    how in the hec were MY posts considered thread jacking?

    you stated why you think Palm will be successful, some others responded with why they thought they wouldn't be, all with differing opinions and/or reasons.

    never did i state anything personal.

    oh the humanity....
    You win... you are right... please, let us move on...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    I'm pretty sure programming for android will be entirely different than programming for palm. The posix functionality will be the same, but almost all code is written to higher level apis. The code to display GUI widgets, respond to events, etc. will likely be entirely different, and that's where most of the work is.
    I understand... what I'm thinking is the jump won't be as bad as say developing for Windows mobile and then jumping to Linux.

    Of course, I'm only thinking, I don't know... sounds like you have experience in this area. I develop for the desktop, but never for a mobile phone.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    what in God's name?

    how in the hec were MY posts considered thread jacking?

    you stated why you think Palm will be successful, some others responded with why they thought they wouldn't be, all with differing opinions and/or reasons.

    never did i state anything personal.

    oh the humanity....
    What does this post have to do with my thread anyways?

    I wonder when Palm will release some actual images of its new OS. Or will Colligan decide to wait until the first LPOS devices are leaked?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I wonder when Palm will release some actual images of its new OS. Or will Colligan decide to wait until the first LPOS devices are leaked?
    I don't know... heck, I was seeing google videos maybe back in Dec '07. But I don't think people took notice until April/May '08.

    Palm is about six months out, so we should start to see something in July or August. Palm also needs to get the developers onboard... when will that happen.

    I'm thinking the palm os will be delayed... if ever released. If their are major issues with the OS or release, palm is just about done... or they can switch to building devices only and purchase their OS from access, google and microsoft... which is what they might should have done in the first place.... and put their own tweaks to it. Maybe a UI layer to "make it theirs."
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    What does this post have to do with my thread anyways?
    ?
    nothing, just as your own response does. and if you didn't notice it was in response to a comment made by some other.

    getting pretty silly, not sure why you have to continue in such form.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I don't know... heck, I was seeing google videos maybe back in Dec '07. But I don't think people took notice until April/May '08.

    Palm is about six months out, so we should start to see something in July or August. Palm also needs to get the developers onboard... when will that happen.

    I'm thinking the palm os will be delayed... if ever released. If their are major issues with the OS or release, palm is just about done... or they can switch to building devices only and purchase their OS from access, google and microsoft... which is what they might should have done in the first place.... and put their own tweaks to it. Maybe a UI layer to "make it theirs."
    Well, this is Palm's last chance to get out its own OS. I do love the WM tweaks and devices, I'm looking forward to the 850, and maybe the 900 will be the Linux POS and then the real fun - or disappointment - begins.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Well, this is Palm's last chance to get out its own OS. I do love the WM tweaks and devices, I'm looking forward to the 850, and maybe the 900 will be the Linux POS and then the real fun - or disappointment - begins.
    I often sit and wonder what the return on invest for Palm OS 5. It must be phenomenal.

    Actually, I think if palm messes this up that you won't have much to worry about. Google should be straight by then and another company will come in to fill the gap with a "treo-like" device.

    I've moved on to windows mobile OS, so I don't care too much about palm os since so many windows devices out there right now. If forced I could find another device to satisfy my needs. I'd like to have a treo 800w though...

    To be clear though, I would like for palm to ship their new OS early and produce the kind of products they did back in the 90s and early 00s.

    Iphone has pushed the bar VERY high... we will see... but I'd like for palm to do very well, but keep producing windows devices as I don't see me going back to palm os no matter how "good" it is...

    I've had a Palm device with me for maybe 11 or 12 years now... and I'd like to keep it that way.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions