Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crp View Post
    Several friends have purchased i-Phones and they all are happy with their devices.

The work that I do, however, involves significant travel, mostly by car. Which brings me to my question: when you're driving and don't want to use both hands to type, how well does the i-Phone work when you can only use 1 hand, say for doing a lookup by contact's last name?

crp
    Can you please do everybody else thats on the road a big favor. PULL OVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Heh....

Voice commands are wonderful...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Heh....

Voice commands are wonderful...
    Better than taking your hands off the wheel, but still not great. Concentrating on driving is probably the best idea yet.
    Better than taking your hands off the wheel, but still not great. Concentrating on driving is probably the best idea yet.
    Certainly but if you want to think along those lines you best not have passengers in the car talking to you or a radio as they are the same amount of distraction (if not more) as making a phone call with voice dialing and hands free. :-)
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Certainly but if you want to think along those lines you best not have passengers in the car talking to you or a radio as they are the same amount of distraction (if not more) as making a phone call with voice dialing and hands free. :-)

Completely disagree. There have been actual test done to show listening to the radio and talking to somebody else in the car is not nearly as much of a distraction. I will see if I can dig up some links.
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busi...=1&oref=slogin

Full price iPhones from AT&T coming: $600-700. Can't tell if the pricey plan remains regardless, according to AT&T: both contract and contract-free phones will be ''locked'' to work only on AT&T's network, and the monthly service plans available will be the same.

Yikes.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busi...=1&oref=slogin

Full price iPhones from AT&T coming: $600-700. Can't tell if the pricey plan remains regardless, according to AT&T: both contract and contract-free phones will be ''locked'' to work only on AT&T's network, and the monthly service plans available will be the same.

Yikes.
    But at the same token if you're with AT&T and not eligible for an upgrade (i.e. not a previous iPhone owner, and you just recently got new service or upgraded) then the pricing is $400/500. Not bad, and what I was expecting. I'll be shelling out $500 for a 16gb model, my contract will get extended by an extra 3 months.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Completely disagree. There have been actual test done to show listening to the radio and talking to somebody else in the car is not nearly as much of a distraction. I will see if I can dig up some links.
    Here is a study in this area that show (what should be) alarming results.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Here is a study in this area that show (what should be) alarming results.
    Interesting read. I still disagree as kids jumping around in the back seat and teenage friends being stupid are for more distracting then a normal conversation on a hands-free cellphone call but an interesting read none the less.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ... as kids jumping around in the back seat and teenage friends being stupid are for more distracting then a normal conversation on a hands-free cellphone call ...
    Make them ride in the boot (trunk) then! Your car, your rules
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I like Tirk's idea, let them ride in the trunk. As long as you pad it well with some blankets they should be o.k. most of the time if you go over a few speedbumps. Tell them it is a new ride, it's cheaper than going to an amusement park and riding the rolly coaster! jk

I still have no idea why Palm supported the legislation when their own voice dialing / Bluetooth implementation is not 100%. Could somebody explain that one to me? Do they not want to admit that they have improvements to make in that area?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  12. crp

If I had to use both hands to type, I probably would. Also, there are numerous situations, not involving driving, where the Treo works when using one hand. My question really was whether the iPhone can do that as well, since the people I see using it, and the commercials advertising it's use, all show two-handed usage.
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.
    Quote Originally Posted by crp View Post
    If I had to use both hands to type, I probably would. Also, there are numerous situations, not involving driving, where the Treo works when using one hand. My question really was whether the iPhone can do that as well, since the people I see using it, and the commercials advertising it's use, all show two-handed usage.
    You can one-hand the iPhone pretty easily, but you still have to stare at it while you do. One button is certainly simple, but going to your home screen is the only thing you can do on your iPhone without staring at the screen (oh and you can silence it too).
    The iPhone not only does not have buttons, it's harder to hold securely while moving the thumb because it's too flat and heavy.
    I'm not buying iPhone 3G because it doesn't have native A2DP. Lack of this on a musical device (that's what the 16 gigs are for) is not acceptable to me.

I'll keep using my Treo 650 for another year. I have become accustomed to its face.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I'm with Aprasad. I'm sticking with my Treo 650 a little longer. I've been toying with the idea of switching to the Centro or the Iphone 3G and neither seem to offer significant enough advantages to switch. My husband has a simple phone from T mobile and he can use A2DP and has a wonderful set of blue tooth stereo headphones. I agree that it's unacceptable that the iphone 3G will not have that capability.
    At the risk of hijacking this thread: There has to be a very good reason for me to give up my Treo 650. It has Chatter, pTunes, Kinoma, 4cast, Datebk6, DTG, TryDA, flightstatus, SAG, and a whole bunch of games. Yes, the speed is Edge, but I can download e-mail, listen to music and check my calendar at the same time.

It is hard to give that up without a very good reason.

iPhone 3G with A2DP would have done it

Maybe in 12 months, we will have the new OS from Palm that will let me use all my current POS application .... That's what I'm hoping.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    You forgot the m,ost important - IPhone does not have Cut and Paste feature - I use that all the time to move data around without retyping. Thats a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by btn View Post
    I owned a Treo 600, 650, 700p, and checked out a Centro before I switched to an iPhone. The only feature I miss from my Treo is a system-wide clipboard. Otherwise, it seems that one would require a very Palm-specific feature to consider a Centro over an iPhone 3G. The lack of task manager, IM, MMS, and DocsToGo will be remedied by third party apps. I doubt Apple will allow tethering into their App Store, but the workaround is to simply get a dedicated ExpressCard or USB adapter.

Palm may still have a window of opportunity since Windows Mobile sucks, and Android is immature. Windows Mobile and Android also are designed to support multiple hardware vendors. Palms should have an advantage like Apple where they control the whole kit. BlackBerry is in a world of its own for people who are addicted to text, and often carry another cell phone for voice. Nokia seems to have abandoned the U.S. market, which is unfortunate for Symbian.

It would be cool if Apple and AT&T let people take an iPhone for a two week test drive. It takes a week or so to trust the keyboard, and get used to the powerful simplicity of the iPhone. The advanced capabilities of the current iPhone more than make up for the EVDO on my 700p. For my needs, the iPhone blows away the Centro. However, one could argue that they serve two different markets so it's unfair to compare them. Apple's aggressive pricing for the iPhone 3G does add to its allure, but I digress.
    Well you can test drive the iPhone. You have 30 days to return it, but there is that pesky 10% restocking fee.
    That's what I'm going to do. Now that it supports Exchange, 3G, and 3rd party apps (3 deal breakers for me with the first iPhone) it's finally 'good enough' for me. We'll see how much I really miss cut/paste.
    But so far the email and web experience alone is worth the move. I'm sorry but reading email on a Centro or Treo doesn't even compare to reading it on the iPhone.

Each to his own, but I'll be giving it the 30 day test drive myself. I won't hesitate to return it if it annoys me so.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Now that it supports Exchange, 3G, and 3rd party apps (3 deal breakers for me with the first iPhone) it's finally 'good enough' for me. We'll see how much I really miss cut/paste.
    But so far the email and web experience alone is worth the move. I'm sorry but reading email on a Centro or Treo doesn't even compare to reading it on the iPhone.
    Today there was exactly one item I could not access on my Centro. I wanted to watch a video presentation on parleys.com, which is built in Flex. Incidentally, that same item wouldn't have worked on the iPhone either.

Other than that, all my regular sites that I may read daily on my PC at home or work, are working fine on my Centro. They are not pretty or quick to render, but the content is easily available.

What's so special about reading email on the iPhone?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast