Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Avid, I think there will be lots of great PIM programs in the appstore, and more to come after launch.
    That's funny. Why not stick with something that's already proven?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  2. #22  
    what's been proven is that many either a) never needed a Treo or b) never realized that there were so many other choices out there that did the same job with less failure or perhaps greater success.

    there is a reason why Palm is suffering and the others, less so.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    That's funny. Why not stick with something that's already proven?
    By that logic, why would you ever try new foods, new forms of entertainment, new types of people to hang out with, etc etc if you already have everything that is "proven"?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    By that logic, why would you ever try new foods, new forms of entertainment, new types of people to hang out with, etc etc if you already have everything that is "proven"?
    Cost and benefit. It's expensive to try an iPhone and the benefit is not clear.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  5. #25  
    ^ "value" is a relative term. what might be expensive to you may not be to the other. what one perceives as a benefit is determinant upon one's needs/wants.

    think of it this way: how many Treos have many here owned?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  6. #26  
    I'm looking at your signature. Okay, why have you owned so many devices?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  7. #27  
    ^ in a nutshell, for so many different reasons, and because each device was a little bit different than the previous.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    ^ "value" is a relative term. what might be expensive to you may not be to the other. what one perceives as a benefit is determinant upon one's needs/wants.

    think of it this way: how many Treos have many here owned?
    Exactly oalvarez.

    Quote Originally Posted by sivan
    Cost and benefit. It's expensive to try an iPhone and the benefit is not clear.
    Expensive? Isn't that up to the individual to decide? Maybe the person has thousands of dollars in disposable income a month. Benefit not clear? Well yes, you can't objectively measure benefit, but you sure can subjectively, which is what this argument is all about hmm? It all boils down to what a person wants and needs, and given that everyone's perception of "expensive" is different, wouldn't that make your point moot?
  9. #29  
    You got into my exchange with gadgetluva. The issue was PIM quality on the iPhone.

    When you recommend the iPhone are you thinking about it as a PIM solution or is PIM secondary to experiencing the iPhone?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    You got into my exchange with gadgetluva. The issue was PIM quality on the iPhone.

    When you recommend the iPhone are you thinking about it as a PIM solution or is PIM secondary to experiencing the iPhone?
    I htink you're addressing oalvarez but I'll continue on with this discussion. I think the avid was telling us what was holding him back. Now I agree that if strong PIM by far outweighs ANY other use on a converged device, then maybe the iPhone is the wrong choice. However, if PIM is something that is important but not something that is of the utmost importance, then why not give the iPhone a shot? Some of these 3rd party apps are the best on any OS - and given the attention the iPhone has gotten, I think we'll see some GREAT apps soon.
  11. #31  
    Doesn't avid already know the iPhone is cool though? I'm struggling to understand the advice given.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I htink you're addressing oalvarez but I'll continue on with this discussion. I think the avid was telling us what was holding him back. Now I agree that if strong PIM by far outweighs ANY other use on a converged device, then maybe the iPhone is the wrong choice. However, if PIM is something that is important but not something that is of the utmost importance, then why not give the iPhone a shot? Some of these 3rd party apps are the best on any OS - and given the attention the iPhone has gotten, I think we'll see some GREAT apps soon.
    Pocket Informant has indicated that it is building an iPhone version.

    http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wor...to-the-iphone/

    http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...st=15&start=15
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/29/2008 at 08:35 PM.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Pocket Informant has indicated that it is building an iPhone version.
    Wow - that's good news. Thanks Perry.
  14. #34  
    Good points by both sides here, but buying a product based on what may or may not be available for it at some point is a risk no business user will take.

    I need apps now, not next year. Why comprimise significant usability now for a product that most people update every two years? I'm sure at some point Apple will overtake Palm in useful apps. But they haven't yet. And here in the upper midwest AT&T coverage is absolutely terrible so signing an AT&T contract in the first place is not a viable option.

    Apple has some work to do before they will be truly accepted in the business world. Still the best media device out there, but for business type use the Centro is superior in many ways.

    Neither phone will be everything for everybody, but my Centro does everything I need AND want it to for a lot less than iPhone. To me, that is a great value. Is it the best device? For me, yes. Generally speaking, certainly not, it has many flaws, but how much money are you willing to spend on a device that you replace every couple years?

    I think the way the Instinct is flying off the shelves shows that style and price are main sales drivers. I also think products like it pose a real threat to Apple despite the reduced functionality, just like the iPhone has won over many smartphone users despite reduced functionality. It will be interesting to see where the market ends up in a few years.

    That's just my opinion of course.
  15. #35  
    You bring up a good point, but before the iPhone 3G comes out, the appstore should be live so we'll know what's coming. I guess that's a plus.
  16. #36  
    Pocket Informant is a great app on WM and look foward to purchasing it for the iPhone. I'm also looking foward to omnifocus which is a great task/project management program on the mac. There is an iPhone version coming out that the developers have said would be available the day the app store opens (july 11). Screenshots can be seen here.........

    http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnifocus/iphone/
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    You bring up a good point, but before the iPhone 3G comes out, the appstore should be live so we'll know what's coming. I guess that's a plus.
    It will be live the same day the iPhone 3G gets released.
  18. ceb
    ceb is offline
    ceb's Avatar
    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #38  
    Both the Palm and the iPhone have their places in society and just because you like the iPhone doesn't mean that I will.

    We tend to buy for the technology and not for our requirements.

    The iPhone is cool technology. It looks cool, has a snazzy interface and plays music. If that is your requirement then the iPhone might be for you.

    Me, I'm looking at my requirements first.

    I carry a Blackberry at work and hate entering appointments on it. I much prefer entering appointments using Datebook6, so that is what I use my Treo for.

    I also have a few programs that I'm used to (Automobil, Datashield etc) that don't exist on other platforms.

    Like many others, I prefer a real keyboard - but then again - I learned to type on a typewriter.

    Let's not lose sight of requirements - the technology flows from that.

    The iPhones and the Instincts don't sell to business community - at least not initially - but sell like mad to the mass consumer...
    Cheers

    Charles
  19. crp
    crp is offline
    crp's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    #39  
    Several friends have purchased i-Phones and they all are happy with their devices.

    The work that I do, however, involves significant travel, mostly by car. Which brings me to my question: when you're driving and don't want to use both hands to type, how well does the i-Phone work when you can only use 1 hand, say for doing a lookup by contact's last name?

    crp
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.
  20. #40  
    Something like a lookup by last name is quite doable with one hand, using your thumb. Typing a mail or an sms is much less doable with one hand.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions