Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73
  1.    #1  
    Data Pricing will be as follows:
    Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):

    $30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail

    Enterprise Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):

    $45 Unlimited Data with personal and corporate e-mail, web, includes Visual Voicemail
    http://gizmodo.com/5014909/att-memo-...hone-3g-policy

    Surur
  2. #2  
    To correct your "title": no CORPORATE exchange without $45 data plan? Even wackier: no corporate intranet access?

    Will be real interesting to find out what the heck at&t is talking about here.
  3. #3  
    Found this:

    http://www.wireless.att.com/business...comp-table.jsp

    They seem to already charge $45 for the same plan, for blackberrys and MS "direct push," and they use the same terminology. I wonder what they are talking about.

    So for, example, how do they enforce this now for MS direct push? or do they not enforce it; is it just a "terms of service" thing?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
    To correct your "title": no CORPORATE exchange without $45 data plan? Even wackier: no corporate intranet access?

    Will be real interesting to find out what the heck at&t is talking about here.
    How would they know the difference between corporate and personal exchange? I would assume that they would assume all Exchange Activesync is corporate.

    What is more interesting to me is whether they will block it on the phone or on the network - with Apple having full control of the phone, Apple could deactivate Exchange syncing on the phone if the data plan did not allow it.

    Surur
  5. #5  
    I don't think they'll block it anywhere. I've been surfing AT&T's site, and they use the same language for all their other "pda phones," and they don't block it with those phones. The issues seems to be that if your company is paying for your phone, the company is supposed to get it through the corporate channel, obey the corporate ToS, pay the corporate rate, etc.
  6. #6  
    ActiveSync uses http and https. Im not sure how they can block that. My AT$T rep said he thinks (I guess he is not really sure yet) that the corporate rate is used for corporate group accounts.

    My company pays for my monthly, but the phone and plan is in my name. So, I guess it would be ok. The plans used to all by under one account. We needed a corporate tax id to set these accounts up. I'm assuming these would be under the more expensive plans.
  7. #7  
    will be interesting for sure.....as of now i'll continue to enjoy my $20/mo data plan with them (at&t).
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  8. #8  
    Has anybody heard anymore? I posted this question at iphoneblog forums, but I just found this thread, so here goes again.

    What's the difference? I was just talking with an AT&T rep and since I work for a university, they said I needed to get the $45 data plan. When I asked why, he said it is because it is a corporate data plan for users of corporate mail systems. I said my university doesn't have a corporate mail system, just plain old POP3 and IMAP. So why would I need the higher plan? He is going to ask others and get back to me. But I thought I would ask you all.

    If I used a hosted exchange service like Sherweb or 4Iphone.net would I have to pay for the $45 dollar to get the exchange service....is the exchange service ability locked out for $30 plans?
  9. #9  
    I asked the same question to our rep today. He was unsure. They are trying to price it to match BES users though as they are fearful of blackberry customers revolting.

    current WM users are suppose to be using the $45 plan now, but most don't. AT&T knows about this and I know they would like to rectify it. Two things I'm not sure about.

    1. I cant think of any way they can block ActiveSync.
    2. What about non-corporate exchange use?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I asked the same question to our rep today. He was unsure. They are trying to price it to match BES users though as they are fearful of blackberry customers revolting.

    current WM users are suppose to be using the $45 plan now, but most don't. AT&T knows about this and I know they would like to rectify it. Two things I'm not sure about.

    1. I cant think of any way they can block ActiveSync.
    2. What about non-corporate exchange use?
    The one factor they have with Apple they dont have with windows Mobile is the complicity of Apple. Apple could easily put a killswitch for exchange in there is the account the phone is activated on is not the business one.

    Surur
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The one factor they have with Apple they dont have with windows Mobile is the complicity of Apple. Apple could easily put a killswitch for exchange in there is the account the phone is activated on is not the business one.

    Surur
    I dont see how this can happen. What would stop me from activating with a corporate plan, and then changing to a non-corporate plan a week later. How would apple stop that?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I dont see how this can happen. What would stop me from activating with a corporate plan, and then changing to a non-corporate plan a week later. How would apple stop that?
    When you have an iPhone, you dont have root. Apple can do anything they want.

    Surur
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    When you have an iPhone, you dont have root. Apple can do anything they want.

    Surur
    Why would apple care. They have nothing to do with the plans. When I purchase the phone through AT&T, you expect apple to send something over the air to my phone to kill exchange service?
  14. #14  
    One more thing, an addition like that Surur would need to have been beta tested for awhile. The 2.0 software has been in beta for awhile and nobody has said anything about this.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why would apple care. They have nothing to do with the plans. When I purchase the phone through AT&T, you expect apple to send something over the air to my phone to kill exchange service?
    Why no internet sharing? Why no VOIP over 3G. Why no 3G iTunes store?

    Apple and AT&T are partners. The iPhone gets docked regularly, and can maintain a persistent connection to Apple. Apple has the right and capability to erase 3rd party apps already deployed from your handset.

    Its quite possible Apple will ONLY activate exchange support when you sign up for a $45 data plan, and when you cancel the plan downgrade your device.

    Its their phone after all, not yours.

    Surur
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Why no internet sharing? Why no VOIP over 3G. Why no 3G iTunes store?

    Apple and AT&T are partners. The iPhone gets docked regularly, and can maintain a persistent connection to Apple. Apple has the right and capability to erase 3rd party apps already deployed from your handset.

    Its quite possible Apple will ONLY activate exchange support when you sign up for a $45 data plan, and when you cancel the plan downgrade your device.

    Its their phone after all, not yours.

    Surur

    Apple cannot erase apps on the iPhone ota. Maybe via a firmware update. You don't have a persistent connection to apple, you have one to your provider.

    No 3g itunes store (music) because the music labels wont allow it without additional money.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Apple cannot erase apps on the iPhone ota. Maybe via a firmware update. You don't have a persistent connection to apple, you have one to your provider.

    No 3g itunes store (music) because the music labels wont allow it without additional money.
    Does it really matter if its OTA or when you dock?

    Security
    Apple wants complete control over the applications and will offer developers the privelege of publishing iPhone applications as long as the apps are straight-up honest. Any malicious intent or serious bugs, and Apple will revoke the developer's digital certificate much like the DMV can revoke driving licenses. This ensures that legit developers won't be lending their digital certificates to small-time, and possibly shady, developers that want to publish iPhone applications. Why risk losing your certificate to help out a questionable developer outfit?

    Furthermore, Apple can simply disable any applications that it finds to be malicious - protecting users after the fact, with another layer of security. This is both bad and good, because that means that all iPhone applications will have to abide by Apple's guidelines and that any deviation from the rules can result in a disabled application (if it even manages to pass initial inspection) and/or revocation of the digital certificate. That means we probably won't be getting any third-party applications running in the background.
    http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/19...-industry.html

    You need a persistent connection to Apple to have background app notifications.



    Mobileman, I see you are not keeping up with iPhone developments.

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 07/02/2008 at 05:57 PM.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Does it really matter if its OTA or when you dock?


    http://www.intomobile.com/2008/03/19...-industry.html

    You need a persistent connection to Apple to have background app notifications.



    Mobileman, I see you are not keeping up with iPhone developments.

    Surur

    Ofcourse the background app notifications is not built into the current 2.0 os and wont be available till later this year. Surur, I see you are not keeping up with iPhone developments.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Ofcourse the background app notifications is not built into the current 2.0 os and wont be available till later this year. Surur, I see you are not keeping up with iPhone developments.
    As I said earlier, does it really matter if its OTA or when you dock?

    Surur
  20. #20  
    When you dock your iPhone and run iTunes, no connection is made to apple that I am aware of. I often dock my iPhone to my laptop when it is not connected to the web.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions